Re: [fhctech] Re: Networking printers

  • Merlin R Kitchen
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:21:40 -0400 Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...>
      writes:
      > Just wanted to mention that about a year ago we added enough
      > computers to
      > our system that our firewall/router would not hold them all. We
      > went out

      The PIX, as usually sent out by SLC is programmed for only 10 computers.
      If you find that the first 10 computers get on and any additional will
      not, that is the problem. SLC will (if needed) reprogram the PIX for
      more. I had to solve this problem a second time when they shipped us a
      new one (lightning fried our first one).

      Switches or hubs can be cascaded. We have 5 eight port switches, a 4
      port switch, and a wireless access point all plugged into an eight port
      switch which is then connected to the PIX which in turn connects to the
      DSL modem.

      Merlin Kitchen
      Utah South Area Family History Training Center
      http://www.familyhistorytraining.org
    • paulbb1
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
        The support desk can make the change remotely. They did it to ours.

        Arlan Beebe
        Ann Arbor Stake
        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@j...>
        wrote:

        > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:21:40 -0400 Patty Gaddis <geneamom@c...>
        > writes:
        > > Just wanted to mention that about a year ago we added enough
        > > computers to
        > > our system that our firewall/router would not hold them all. We
        > > went out
        >
        > The PIX, as usually sent out by SLC is programmed for only 10
        computers.
        > If you find that the first 10 computers get on and any additional
        will
        > not, that is the problem. SLC will (if needed) reprogram the PIX
        for
        > more. I had to solve this problem a second time when they shipped
        us a
        > new one (lightning fried our first one).
        >
        > Switches or hubs can be cascaded. We have 5 eight port switches,
        a 4
        > port switch, and a wireless access point all plugged into an eight
        port
        > switch which is then connected to the PIX which in turn connects
        to the
        > DSL modem.
        >
        > Merlin Kitchen
        > Utah South Area Family History Training Center
        > http://www.familyhistorytraining.org
      • Ia Ribbon/ Duncan
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
          We got a new computer from SL, but now the internet is working so slow that
          it is impossibe to use both at the same time.
          Also, why can't we print from the disks?
          FD FHC
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
            Sorry, our ESP is not working too well today. We need more details. How
            are you connected to the internet? How is the new machine connected to the
            printer?

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
              Response to multiple messages:

              >>> Switches or hubs can be cascaded. <<<

              Within limits, yes. There is a limit as to how many hubs you can cascade
              together as they will introduce excessive delay which will lead to errors.
              I'm not sure if there is a limit to switches, but one would want to limit
              the number of them between any given computer and the servers.

              >>> The PIX, as usually sent out by SLC is programmed for only 10 computers.
              <<<

              From what I've been told, that's 10 computers that need to access the
              internet. If you've got some other devices such as a dedicated server, or
              print server that pushes you over the 10 limit, that may not be an issue.
              It will issue more then 10 Ips, it just won't let more then 10 connect to
              the internet at the same time.

              >>> Just wanted to pass along some info about the
              differences between hubs and switches. <<<

              One significant difference is that a switch permits a client and server to
              talk in "full duplex" - that is the client can talk to the server to
              acknowledge the packets it's receiving without having to wait for the server
              to stop talking.

              >>> We went out
              and bought a hub to add to the system, but couldn't get things to work
              correctly. I called Global Support and they suggested switching to a
              switchbox. Did that the next day and all our problems (at least for that)
              were solved. <<<

              Most likely a problem somewhere else. A hub wouldn't be that much of an
              issue with only a few machines. I'm guessing it may have been a cross-over
              cable issue. Hub/switches/Pix are designed to connect to computers. A
              hub/switch will talk on one pair of wires and listen for the computer on
              another pair. You can't connect a hub/switch/PIX to another hub/switch
              without a cross-over. Otherwise the "mouth" of one won't be connected to
              the "ear" of the other to be able to communicate. A cross-over can be done
              with a cable, a special cross-over port, or a switchable cross-over port.
              In some cases newer switches will auto sense and go normal/cross-over
              automatically. Just don't do the cross-over more then once (cross-over
              cable AND a cross-over port), or you'll undo the cross and still the
              original problem.

              >>> Personally, recommend anyone with a hub to replace it
              with a switch. They really aren't that expensive, and
              the performance increase is worth it. <<<

              Depends. In most cases the internet is so slow a connection there is
              nothing to be gained by using a switch for internet access. The speed gain
              will only be noticed when connecting to a server - and only when more then
              one person is executing a search at the same time. For most FHCs with less
              then a dozen machines, I'm not sure as it's worth spending limited funds in
              the upgrade. If you're buying equipment, by all means, get at least a
              10/100 switch. But if you're working ok with that old 10Mb hub, don't
              expect to see a dramatic improvement when you change it out. We used to be
              on a old 12 port 10Mb hub but the power supply failed. That's the only
              reason I replaced it.
            • Ia Ribbon/ Duncan
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
                we have cable internet which is usually fast,,,,,but since we hooked the new
                printer up which is wireless off the same server we can't get either one to
                work very fast. most of the time we have to go unplug the cable box for 30
                sec and restart. But lately there is only sporadic internet.
                we haven't been able to print from the disks, like the ancestry or the ssi ,
                those disks, since we went to Windows 2000----- Original Message -----

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2005
                  Hard to say exactly what's wrong. But it sounds like this new wireless
                  printer setup may not be playing well with the rest of the system. If you
                  turn off the printer (just hang a broken sign on it and power it off) along
                  with the wireless device it's connected to, does everything work ok? If so,
                  then you probably need to check the directions on how to hook it up and
                  check the settings.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2005
                    I have the exact same problem at our FHC. All but one machines are
                    using Win2K. No issue when we were using a Linux firewall (IPcop) but
                    with the PIX we have slow printing. I will verify this by switching
                    back to the Linux box. I don't under stand this. All networking
                    connections are through switches. The current printer is shared via a
                    Win98 SE machine. I have even tried using a second printer attached to
                    a Win2K machine and setup to share the printer to other Win2K
                    machines. Didn't help.

                    I am stumpped. I am concidering putting the printer on a print server
                    device and see if that works.

                    Arlan Beebe
                    Ann Arbor Stake

                    --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "bomber_bob" <bob_lds@m...> wrote:
                    > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > TWO things happened on August 9th:
                    > >
                    > > - I installed a new Cisco PIX that HQ sent to us to replace the
                    > one that got
                    > > fried.
                    > >
                    > > - I downloaded and installed all available Microsoft updates. I
                    > believe I
                    > > also installed the new Microsoft Update tool touted on the Windows
                    > Critical
                    > > Update page.
                    > >
                    > > That is when network printing slowed to a standstill. It takes
                    > about 5
                    > > minutes just to bring up a Printer Properties dialog box. It takes
                    > about 10
                    > > minutes to print across the network.
                    > >
                    > > I talked with the Global Support guys for about an hour, but they
                    > could not
                    > > resolve my problem. The two suggestions they gave me:
                    > > - replace your hubs with switches.
                    > > - call the FH Support Desk, because they know more about print
                    > servers than
                    > > the Global Support Desk. Right.
                    > >
                    > > We are currently using a Zonet router instead of the PIX, because
                    > our

                    > > patrons like to print stuff in less than 10 minutes. I am hoping
                    > someone at
                    > > the Global Support Desk will realize what is killing all of us in
                    > the field.
                    > >
                    > > BY THE WAY, I have noticed a very similar problem at another FHC
                    > in my
                    > > stake, but it ONLY happens when printing from one Windows 2000
                    > computer to
                    > > another. If the server or the client is Windows 98SE, there is no
                    > problem.
                    > >
                    > > Dana
                    >

                    > I don't feel so bad now, I thought I was the only one with the
                    > problem. What is this zoneet router, I didn't know we could run
                    > anything other than the PIX (that was church sponsored).
                    > Bob Holder
                  • paulbb1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 6, 2005
                      If this is a Church provided wireless system remember it is a locked
                      to the software on the installtion disk and nothing sees the wireless
                      network unless the software is installed on the computer. And you
                      can't install the software unless it is a church owned one.

                      Arlan
                      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "RussellHltn" <RussellHltn@v...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 6, 2005
                        I found a resolution to the problem after consulting with my team of
                        Stake experts. Used a printer that has a print server installed or an
                        external one. I installed a HP 5Si with a JetDirect and after
                        installation all the computers print with out issue. You need the "HP
                        Install Network printer wizard" not the web based one. I plan on
                        buying an external print server to hook up to the Lexmark we have.

                        Arlan Beebe
                        Ann Arbor Stake

                      • Dana Repouille
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 11, 2005
                          The printer is wireless? How?

                          Is the printer shared with the network by a server, or is it wirelessly
                          connected to a wireless router?

                          When you say "we can't get either one to work very fast"
                          ..do you mean either the Internet or the printer?
                          ..do you mean the server or the printer?

                          Do you use a Cisco Pix router?

                          When you cycle the power on "the cable box" do you also cycle the power on
                          your router?

                          What disks are you trying to print from?

                          How long does it take to print a test page?

                          Dana

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2005
                            Sometimes you have to capture the printer port and set a virtual
                            connection to LPT1.

                            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Ia Ribbon/ Duncan" <g.duncan@m...>