RE: [fhctech] MEMORY WOES

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 6, 2005
      Like you, I've never seen Windows come up with a different amount of memory
      (ignoring the machines that use main memory for the video). However, I have
      seen Windows activate devices that I've turned off in BIOS, so having
      Windows change the configuration of the memory controller wouldn't surprise
      me too much.

      I personally don't buy any kind of "generic" memory any more. Too many
      details in the specs. Especially when you get to name branded un-generic
      stuff like DELL, Compaq and probably IBM. I go to a place that asks what my
      computer is and then tells me what I can use. Sites like
      http://www.crucial.com/ or http://www.kingston.com/.

      I know from experience that WinXP needs about 512MB to run well. (Well, at
      least more then 256MB!). If you can't get to 512MB, maybe dropping back to
      Win2K would be a better plan.

      The other thing to mention in passing is that I don't think WinXP ever
      shipped on a 550MHz machine. Unless the certificate papers came with that
      donation, there would be questions about if that install of XP was legal or
      bootleg. Also Microsoft is stepping up their efforts once again to only do
      patches on "genuine" licensed copies. How they separate the genuine from
      the pirated, I'm not sure, but I've been in some situations where I've had
      to enter the license number off the certificate. At least with Win2K you
      can get a genuine licensed copy from the church and not worry about if
      you're legal or about update issues. By the time Win2K gets retired, that
      machine needs to be retired as well.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 8, 2005
        No, this machine has never had this particular memory configuration installed before.  Somehow I doubt that the chips themselves are at issue, as I've tried any number of combinations with old and new chips (generic and IBM), and none of them show more than 256mb.

        My only response to the "why are you spending so much time on this" question is that, measured by the standards of the other machines we have in service, a P3/550 is decidedly among the better ones.

        BTW: Replying to a point Russell raised on this topic recently: the machine originally shipped with Windows 98SE, although I have the original install disk for Windows XP that was used.

        Many thanks again for all your help,

        DW

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 8, 2005
          >>> BTW: Replying to a point Russell raised on this topic recently: the machine originally shipped with Windows 98SE, although I have the original install disk for Windows XP that was used. <<<

          The original CD doesn't constitute a license. It's the original "Certificate of Authenticity" which contains the CD Key that's the license. It's usually greenish and and may or may not have light lavender colors.

          On newer machines it's a sticker on the machine. In older packaging, it was the front or back cover of a book that was frequently tossed. I've also seen it attached to the CD jewel case.

          If you've got the Certificate of Authenticity, then you're good to go - although you might want to save that for a better machine.
        • David J. Wardell
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 9, 2005
            In this case, CD and "certificate" were together in the same package.

            On another related point: I noticed today that HP is shipping some of its new (lower-end) machines outfitted with XP and 256mb.

            DW

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 9, 2005
              Cool, then you're good in that regard.

              256MB will run, but XP needs about 512 to fly.  Otherwise the machine doesn't feel right and you end up wondering why the machine is so slow.  Perhaps that can be improved by aggressive shutting down of all unneeded services.  I haven't tried that.

              Also I like the fact that all the machines in my center run the same OS.  Fewer training issues.  While XP has better security, I've got Win2K locked down to the point it's not a problem (so far).

              In this case, CD and "certificate" were together in the same package.

              On another related point: I noticed today that HP is shipping some of its new (lower-end) machines outfitted with XP and 256mb.

              DW

            • Bill Kelly
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 9, 2005
                Russell mentioned he has Win2K locked down.  When I try to limit patron access (i.e. move them to the User group in XP), the old Family Search for DOS will not run in XP.  The only way we can avoid errors, is with Administrator access.  We have a number of patrons that use the Scottish Church and Military Death Indexes hence we are still using old DOS version.  Have tried changing the rights to the PAS directory and the PASShare (directory where we loaded the CDs) giving Full Control access to Everyone with no change.  Using the same set up, with a user with / without Administrator rights, Family Search will lock up without Admin rights.  As a result, we have kept the director's computer without Family Search DOS.  Any ideas on how we can get around this?

                Thanks,  Kelly

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 11, 2005
                  I have in my notes to give users right to modify the C:\PAS directory.  I also see listed giving them rights to modify the C:\Winnt\GVFHC.ini file, but I'm not sure if that's for the old FamilySearch or some other file.  Given the number of lines separating the comments, I don't think so.

                  Is FamilySearch not working at all or is it just certain functions?  By default Win2K doesn't have good lockdown on the hard drive so there isn't that much restriction until you re-do the rights on the root of C.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 12, 2005
                    I should add to make sure that the rights set on the C:\PAS directory also "trickle down" to the sub directories.  It's possible the sub directories are not set to inherit rights and that could cause problems.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 25, 2005
                      I've gone through the messages about this FamilySearchDOS topic and
                      tried the things mentioned, but it doesn't seem to resolve my problem
                      still.

                      The program is working on two computers with Win2000. But, I have
                      one computer with Win2000 and one with Win98 that it just won't work
                      on. I've reinstalled (it's been a while since I tried again), tried
                      deleting the PAS directory and copying from the one of the other
                      computers.

                      The message I keep getting is as follows:

                      "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem
                      The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS: 2241 IP
                      fO8d OP 63 00 44 4f 20 Choose "close" to terminate the application."

                      The program will start, but when I get to the point of telling it to
                      look for a particular name it gives me the message. So, I know the
                      program is there and at least partially accessible. I took the
                      folder with the program from another computer with Win2000 that is
                      not the server just as the computer it won't work on is.

                      I've done some google searches on the internet and tried the few
                      things I felt comfortable trying still with no success. I also went
                      to the fhctech.org page about Win2000 installation of the program and
                      made sure the EMS is set the way it shows. I don't know about the
                      option 1 on that page "1. create a *.bat file to substitute drives in
                      the Windows Startup folder". I've looked on both computers it is
                      working on and don't see any batch files that might be on those
                      computers, but not on the one it won't work on.

                      Any ideas? The natives are getting restless that it only works on
                      two of our computers.

                      Thanks, Patty

                      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "RussellHltn" <RussellHltn@v...>
                      wrote:
                      > I should add to make sure that the rights set on the C:\PAS
                      directory also
                      > "trickle down" to the sub directories. It's possible the sub
                      directories
                      > are not set to inherit rights and that could cause problems.
                      >
                      > _____

                      Behalf Of
                      > RussellHltn
                      > Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:36 AM
                      > To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: RE: RE: [fhctech] MEMORY WOES
                      >

                      > I have in my notes to give users right to modify the C:\PAS
                      directory. I
                      > also see listed giving them rights to modify the C:\Winnt\GVFHC.ini
                      file,
                      > but I'm not sure if that's for the old FamilySearch or some other
                      file.
                      > Given the number of lines separating the comments, I don't think so.
                      >
                      > Is FamilySearch not working at all or is it just certain
                      functions? By
                      > default Win2K doesn't have good lockdown on the hard drive so there
                      isn't
                      > that much restriction until you re-do the rights on the root of C.
                      >
                      > _____

                      t=ms&k=Computer+specialist&w1=Computer+special

                      ist&w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+g
                      enealo

                      gy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=jx3wfx_
                      7cVND9
                      > kIF1Gw7-Q> specialist Family
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Family+history+center&w1=Computer+speci

                      alist&w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family
                      +genea

                      logy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=Cyoba
                      UYWPFQ
                      > Fn3yluhtTHw> history center Cellular
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w1=Computer+

                      specialist&w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=F
                      amily+

                      genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=
                      YD2wy0
                      > qG4uEasGOF2WIkxA> phone family plan
                      > Family
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=Computer+specialist

                      &w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+gene
                      alogy&

                      w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=cpQUMV7hgK
                      thxipB
                      > JGBbaA> genealogy Family
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Family+vacations&w1=Computer+specialist

                      &w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+gene
                      alogy&

                      w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=mXBj5T8VTB
                      ix0Ot8
                      > lLfotQ> vacations Genealogy
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=Computer+speci

                      alist&w2=Family+history+center&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family
                      +genea

                      logy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=155&.sig=HoKn9
                      YKA6El

                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fhctech> "
                      > on the web.

                      Service

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 25, 2005
                        >>> The program will start, but when I get to the point of telling it to look for a particular name it gives me the message. <<<

                        I don't think it's a memory problem. Usually you run into that when you start the program. I suspect the problem is that the drives are not mapped the way the program expects them to be. That would cause it to die when it starts to read the data files. You might want to re-run the PASSETUP program and make sure the right "CDs" are set to be on the right drives.
                      • Patty Gaddis
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 27, 2005
                          So, help me understand this. If I am accessing computer #1 with all the
                          CD's loaded and I believe I've mapped all the computers to the same drive
                          letters as each other, and I copied the PAS folder from a computer that was
                          working to this one, would it still not be working.

                          I'll try to find some time tomorrow to go in and check the drive mappings
                          and make positive they are indeed mapped the same. I thought I'd been
                          fairly careful about making sure they were all the same so I wouldn't run
                          into problems.

                          Thanks for the tip.

                          Patty

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 27, 2005
                            Yes, check the drive mappings. Make sure the drive letter "lands" in the
                            same folder as the other machines. If the top-level directory for "F:" (for
                            example) is different between machines, then that's a problem.

                            Another thing to check, if this is a Win2000 or WinXP box is to try and run
                            the program as Administrator. There may be some security restrictions that
                            prevent it from running.

                          • gtempleman1@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 28, 2005
                              Along with what Russell has suggested, be sure you have mapped the drives under all user accounts. If you mapped the drives when logged in as administrator (so you could copy the folders, install software, etc.) and then try to run the program when logged in as a patron without having done the mapping again, you will get the same error.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 29, 2005
                                Thanks, Gary. I wasn't aware of that. Will check whenever I can get in next.

                                Didn't manage to get in the FHC this weekend because we've been having
                                intermittent network problems with our three computers at home since Friday.

                                Since nothing is consistent about when it doesn't work, we can't determine
                                if it's the cable modem, wireless router, NIC or our ISP. We'll get one
                                working, then another won't work. Get that one working, then the other one
                                won't work. And, tonight couldn't get any of the three to connect to the
                                internet. Before it was at least only one at a time, or maybe two at a
                                time. Then, a little while ago having changed nothing (was just reading
                                previously downloaded mail that had backed up) it just started working! I
                                had noticed that our AV software icon in the systray was open.

                                Between the FHC and home these computers are taking over my life!

                                Patty

                                At 08:01 PM 8/28/2005, you wrote:
                                >Along with what Russell has suggested, be sure you have mapped the drives
                                >under all user accounts. If you mapped the drives when logged in as
                                >administrator (so you could copy the folders, install software, etc.) and
                                >then try to run the program when logged in as a patron without having done
                                >the mapping again, you will get the same error.
                                >
                                >Gary Templeman
                              • merloutre
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 30, 2005
                                  That was it. This computer was set up by someone else a few years
                                  ago when it came to us from SLC. I guess no one ever mapped the
                                  drives. Now I know why I could never get Freedman's to work on it.
                                  But, can't believe no one had ever tried to use it for FSDOS in the
                                  past 3 years. Or, maybe they just never told me it wasn't working.
                                  Sigh!

                                  Thanks again, Patty