RE: [fhctech] TempleReady counts

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      >>> I was thinking of having a BAT file prompt users to put
      a head count on a log when they run TempleReady but for some reason
      TempleReady won't launch properly from a BAT file. Any suggestions,
      other than waiting until SLC gives up on this? <<<

      Thanks to the help of others, I've been running an HTML document from the
      TempleReady icon as a way of reminding them to check IIGI. I'm not sure if
      you can trap the exit of TempleReady but at least you can remind them of the
      need when they start. Here's the file I've been using (I hope it comes
      though OK....).

      This file is placed in the same directory as TRWin.exe. I link all
      TempleReady icons to it, but use the option to select the icon itself so as
      to keep the orginal TempleReady icon and not have it change to a IE icon.
      I'm not sure how this will work in a WinXP system give the greater security
      restrictions SP2 has.

      ----- Start -------
      !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
      <HTML>
      <HEAD>
      <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
      <TITLE></TITLE>
      <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="OpenOffice.org 1.1.3 (Win32)">
      <META NAME="CREATED" CONTENT="20041118;20225388">
      <META NAME="CHANGED" CONTENT="20041118;20444609">
      <STYLE>
      <!--
      @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin-left: 1.25in; margin-right:
      1.25in; margin-top: 1in; margin-bottom: 1in }
      P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
      -->
      </STYLE>
      </HEAD>
      <BODY LANG="en-US" DIR="LTR">
      <P ALIGN=CENTER STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in"><FONT SIZE=4 STYLE="font-size:
      15pt">IMPORTANT</FONT></P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in"><BR>
      </P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in">The data TempleReady uses to clear
      names has not been updated by the Church since January 25, 2000.
      Since then nearly 5 years of work at 100 temples or 500 temple-years
      of work have been done. To avoid needless duplication, please check
      the on-line IGI at <A
      HREF="https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Login/signon.asp?pagename=http://www.
      familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&
      clear_form=true">FamilySearch.org</A>
      or use one of the tools such as <A HREF="../../../Program Files/Ohana
      Software/PAF Insight/PAFInsight.exe">PAFInsight</A>.</P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in"><BR>
      </P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in">Even if you are the only person working
      on your line, some of the work may have been done via name
      extraction.</P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in"><BR>
      </P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in">It takes many hours of
      volunteer labor to do all the proxy work for one person. Please spend
      a few extra minutes checking the on-line information.</P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in"><BR>
      </P>
      <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in">Thank you.</P>
      <P><BR><BR>
      </P>
      <P><A HREF="../../../Program Files/FamilySearch/TempleReady/TRWin.exe">Click
      here to contine to TempleReady</A>
      </P>
      </BODY>
      </HTML>
      ------- END --------
    • salbacka
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
        I guess it seems that we are realy heavy on the research end in our
        FHC. We even have librarians who volounteer but are not members,
        this helps us have more hours. I was just under the impression that
        usage had been measured by film orders in the past and this was a
        new question. I am not the director though so I don't know what has
        been requested in the past. I know our director doesn't like alot
        of the questionaires from SLC though so I don't know how long we
        have been asked for this information. I don't think she has ever
        reported anything in the past though. I think I will try the HTML
        file that was posted to at least prompt users in the future.

        I just always hate to push the LDS aspect of our library because we
        have so many good non-LDS researchers who use us. We have experts
        in almost every European country who come in regularly and help
        everyone. This is especialy helpful with old German gothic script.

        I just hope this helps us get a digital film copier, our regular one
        is wearing out and it is only ~5 year old.

        Craig
        Oakdale, MN FHC

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@c...>

      • annec12345@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
          Perhaps the film orders are not used to determine FHC anymore because in some locations films from Salt Lake are available through public libraries, which is the case here.  We used to have drawers full of films that patrons had ordered, but now usually only have a few (under ten).  The public library in our city can order them and since they are open from 9 am to 9 pm daily, most of our patrons have switched to them...However, we DO do a significant number of temple ready and now our center is primarily used by members.  Thank goodness a Temple Ready count is the criteria being used to keep us open, rather than film rentals.
          Also our Ward Mission Leaders are doing a good job bringing by new converts to get them started on their Family History.

          Anne Cutcher
          Director
          Shreveport Stake FHC
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
            Hmmm.......

            Undercutting the local FHC by allowing the public library to order films
            seems counter productive to me. There are definite benefits to having all
            those non-members regularly exposed to the Church, in terms of missionary
            opportunities and just general good will generated towards the Church. I
            would be pestering the stake president to complain to the Family History
            Department about that policy. Some of our best staff are non-members and
            they would NOT be involved in our center if it was easier to do research at
            the library and the center was mainly geared towards temple submission
            preparations.

            Gary Templeman
            Corvallis Oregon FHC

            > Perhaps the film orders are not used to determine FHC anymore because in
            some
            > locations films from Salt Lake are available through public libraries,
            which
            > is the case here. We used to have drawers full of films that patrons had
            > ordered, but now usually only have a few (under ten). The public library
            in our
            > city can order them and since they are open from 9 am to 9 pm daily, most
            of
            > our patrons have switched to them...However, we DO do a significant number
            of
            > temple ready and now our center is primarily used by members. Thank
            goodness a
            > Temple Ready count is the criteria being used to keep us open, rather than
            > film rentals.
            > Also our Ward Mission Leaders are doing a good job bringing by new
            converts
            > to get them started on their Family History.
            >
            > Anne Cutcher
            > Director
            > Shreveport Stake FHC

          • Connie Bradbury
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
              I have not heard that FHL films can be ordered by some public libraries.  Can someone give me the history of this?

              Connie
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 8, 2005
                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Connie Bradbury" <bradbury@a...>
                wrote:
                > I have not heard that FHL films can be ordered by some public
                libraries. Can someone give me the history of this?

                Not sure about the history -- but I do know that our local library has
                been ordering from SL for more than a year now. They charge $4.00
                instead of our $3.50 and per their policy they cannot keep films
                on "extended" loan.

                We have a good relationship with our local genealogy libraries, and
                consider them a resource and not a threat. We haven't noticed any
                change in our film ordering since they started ordering films.

                Hope this helps,
                Julie Gideon
                Centreville VA FHC