RE: [fhctech] IGI on external hard drive

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
      I don't remember a network version of the TempleReady install, but you must
      set it up at the time of install to point to those locations. Trying to
      change it after the fact with registry hacks and what not won't work. If
      it's not installed correctly, it has to be re-installed.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
        No, you don't need CD emulation software. I've got it working on a shared
        drive from a server. It's possible that you'll need to share out the
        folders you are using and go in via UNC. It might not work if you go in as
        a drive letter.

        Do make sure you set up different folders for the IGI and the addendum. Pay
        attention to what "level" of the folder you are pointing TempleReady to. It
        expects to see things a certain way. If you give a UNC that is one folder
        too high or one folder too low it won't work.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
          I suggest you contact Rick Klemetson directly, not via the group, at:
          Rick@... I think Rick understands this procedure better than anyone. At least,
          he helped me get it going.

          zdenkafhc <z@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          I've tried quite a few things to install IGI on our external hard
          drive but so far no luck.

          I have copied files from each cd to a separate folder within IGI
          directory and addendum files are copied into a Add directory - both
          directories are on G(the external hard drive).

          When I did a clean install of TempleReady, I pointed to each of those
          directories using the drive letter G:\IGI\ and I could see all the
          subfolders but the program still asks me for cd's.  I also tried to
          use the unc path \\fhc computer\G\IGI\ but it came up with internal
          error(maybe the path isn't correct?)

          I've seen a few messages about this issue but they are mostly to do
          with installing IGI via a network or on a hard drive, which is not
          much help for me - the computers in our FHC have only 10Gb hard drive
          hence the external hard drive.

          Any help will be appreciated!

        • theantibill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2005
            Running IGI on an external drive can be done, I've done it. You set
            it up the same as you would an internal drive and enable the same
            shares, then enable the network registry change. So you are aware it
            was a test to me just to see if we could do it for ease of backup
            purposes as well as a hope to have a "portable demo", but I decided
            not to. Performance was horrible and I had a few instances where
            when the drive wasn't found I would have to reset up share paths, it
            just wasn't worth it.

            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "RussellHltn" <RussellHltn@v...>
            wrote:
            > No, you don't need CD emulation software. I've got it working on a
            shared
            > drive from a server. It's possible that you'll need to share out
            the
            > folders you are using and go in via UNC. It might not work if you
            go in as
            > a drive letter.
            >
            > Do make sure you set up different folders for the IGI and the
            addendum. Pay
            > attention to what "level" of the folder you are pointing
            TempleReady to. It
            > expects to see things a certain way. If you give a UNC that is one
            folder
            > too high or one folder too low it won't work.

            Behalf Of

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2005
              >>> Performance was horrible <<<

              Did both the computer and the external drive have USB 2? If you were
              running USB 1.x, I can believe the performance wasn't too great when
              compared to a better server setup. But I'll bet it was still better then
              running off of CDs.