RE: Auto browse when inserting CD

  • Steven Niedermeyer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14 11:48 PM
      I think this is the default behavior for Win XP for any CD that is inserted regardless of content.  I've looked on the internet to see if there is a registry setting to disable it but have come up empty so far.  I turned autoplay off for the CD drive but that hasn't affected the behavior.

      From: fhctech@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fhctech@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary Templeman
      Could there be something in the file associations that is linked to Explorer
      for whatever file type that would be the first one read on insertion?

      Message 2 of 6 , May 15 1:46 AM
        Open up explorer. Right click on the CD drive. Select Properties. Select
        the AutoPlay tab. Change to the desired action (such as "take no action").

        By default XP will ask each time the CD in inserted until you give it a more
        specific command and tell it to do that from now on. But the above should
        be able to change that.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 15 9:36 AM
          BUT, when a program is already calling for input from the drive that
          function *should* be inactive. There has been autoplay in all the recent
          versions of Windows, but when doing something like TempleReady on W98 or W2K
          you can swap disks forever w/o triggering an explorer window. Plus, others
          have apparently ran FamilySearch on XP and not had this problem, so there
          may be something more going on.

          > Open up explorer. Right click on the CD drive. Select Properties.
          Select
          > the AutoPlay tab. Change to the desired action (such as "take no
          action").

          > By default XP will ask each time the CD in inserted until you give it a
          more
          > specific command and tell it to do that from now on. But the above should
          > be able to change that.

          Of

          Message 4 of 6 , May 15 10:52 AM
            It may depend on what kind of CD you told FS that you have. In one way FS
            will watch the drive and automatically react when the CD is inserted. If you
            use (I think) "generic", then you have to hit a key to tell FS when to
            re-check the drive.

            Yes, Autoplay has been in various versions of Windows, but not as aggressive
            as XP. The older ones might start a Audio player if an Audio device has
            been configured, or run the AutoPlay process on the CD, but the older
            versions would not automatically run something in the absence of a autoload
            file on the CD. That's new to XP.

            > Open up explorer. Right click on the CD drive. Select Properties.
            Select
            > the AutoPlay tab. Change to the desired action (such as "take no
            action").

            > By default XP will ask each time the CD in inserted until you give it a
            more
            > specific command and tell it to do that from now on. But the above should
            > be able to change that.

            Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links