Getting rid of duplicate CD entries in PRF

  • Gary Tarbet
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005

      I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of duplicate CD entries in PRF Pedigrees popup.  At about disk 90 I got duplicate entries.  I just loaded 91-100 on the server.  Deinstalled PRF on the workstations.  Did a new install on the workstation for both index and pedigrees but the old CD list came back.  Does anyone know which file to kill to get PRF to take a fresh look at the CDs and get a new number list.  The new scan just finds missing CDs and doesn’t kill duplicate entries.  Tried a new user ID on one system and that seemed to work but had to change user IDs on all systems to fix this unless I have to.  Any ideas?

      GaryT

      Ashburn, VA

    • gtempleman1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        I fully uninstalled the MI and PRF on the clients, then made sure to delete the residual folders before re-installing.

        I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of duplicate CD entries in PRF Pedigrees popup.  At about disk 90 I got duplicate entries.  I just loaded 91-100 on the server.  Deinstalled PRF on the workstations.  Did a new install on the workstation for both index and pedigrees but the old CD list came back.  Does anyone know which file to kill to get PRF to take a fresh look at the CDs and get a new number list.  The new scan just finds missing CDs and doesn�t kill duplicate entries.  Tried a new user ID on one system and that seemed to work but had to change user IDs on all systems to fix this unless I have to.  Any ideas?

        GaryT

        Ashburn, VA

      • Merlin R Kitchen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005

          Procedure for correcting PRF list of CD's

          Installation of CD's should be done in Administrator mode.

          The catalog of CD's is kept in a separate place for each logon user. So if the list of CD's is corrected while in Administrator mode, that does not correct it for any other user.

          Do not do the following steps until you are sure that PRF runs and will look up someone in the Master Index.

          While logged in as "patron" (or any other logon)

          1. Start - Control Panel - Folder Option - View, click on show hidden files

          (NOTE this is a temporary change; you will want to change it back later)

          2. Navigate to: My Computer\ C:\Documents and settings\patron\Local Settings\Application Data\Progeny\PRF

          3. Delete the file CATALOGG.TXT

          4.Start Pedigree Resource File program

          5. Select Master Index

          6. Look up a name. From the resulting results list, click on a number in the left hand side.

          This will bring up a "Details" screen for that person.

          7. Click ONCE on the button labeled "View Pedigree", and wait for the Pedigree Resource File-CDxx screen to appear (where xx is the CD number for the individual you chose)

          8. In the menu line, click on "PRF scan". You will get a temporary pop-up titled "Scan for PRF files". It will ask if you want to do a scan. Click Yes. (This re-creates CATALOGG.TXT file that you deleted earlier)

          9. Click on File-Open. You should see all the CD’s in the list, although they may not be in correct order.

          10. Close PRF and Master Index

          11. Start PRF, and click on Pedigrees. The list of CD’s that come up should be in the proper order (except for perhaps 100–on mine CD100 follows CD10)

          12. Undo the change you made in step 1; Go back and set Control Panel - Folder Option - View so that system and hidden files are not shown.

          If you want other log-ons to be correct, this procedure will need to be repeated for each logon or you could perhaps copy the corrected CATALOGG.TXT file to each logon in the proper place.

          Merlin Kitchen

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2005

            Merlin,

            Thank you for the detailed instructions.  Very much appreciated and a great resource for everyone on the site.

            GaryT

            Ashburn VA