RE: [fhctech] PAF tools menu and PAFWiz

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
      I'll bet the problem is that when it installed it loaded something into
      PAF's registry settings that are for the User. You can either try to move
      those registry settings, or temporarily elevate the Patron login to
      administrator rights and re-install using the Patron login.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
        If I understand correctly you can see and use the startup icons for this
        software when you are logged on as Administrator but not for other user
        logon IDs. If this is a correct interpretation on my part then it is easily
        fixed in most cases.

        This probably resulted from the method of installation. Often software will
        load to the user that is logged in at the time it is loaded, in this case
        Administrator. This is part of the Win2k normal security routine.

        If you open Windows Explorer and look at the file list you can locate the
        file that needs to be changed and you can do it manually to make the icons
        available for all users.

        Try the following:

        1- Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting
        Explore from the pop-up menu.
        2- If you do not have two windows (right and left sides)Click on the
        "Folders" button to change the view so you have a Folders section on the
        left and a Files section on the right.
        3- Locate the C drive in the left window and double click it to open the
        drive.
        4- Locate the Documents and Settings folder on the C drive and double click
        on it to expand it.
        5- In the Documents and Settings folder will be several folders. One will be
        called "All Users" and one will be called Administrator. There will be
        folders for every log on ID.
        6- Double click on the All Users folder to open it.
        7- Inside that folder you will see a folder called Start; double click on
        the Start folder to open the Programs folder, then double click on the
        Programs folder to see its contents. This should leave the Program folder
        and its folders showing in the left window.
        6- Locate and open the folder of the log on ID that you used when you
        installed the software by double-clicking on that folder. This folder will
        be in the Documents and Settings folder
        7- Inside that folder you will see a folder called Start; double click on
        the Start folder to open the Programs folder, then double click on the
        Programs folder to see its contents.
        8- Inside the Programs folder you should see the folder that contains the
        startup items for your PAFWiz software. Select that folder and move it to a
        corresponding location in the Programs folder of the All Users folder. This
        will make the items available to all logged on users of the computer.

        Dennis Stewart
        Meridian East Family History Center
        Boise, ID

        I installed PAFWiz while logged on as Administrator. As a result, the PAF
        tools menu contains PAFWiz, but only while logged on as Administrator. When
        logged on as patron, PAFWiz is not in the tools menu. Can someone tell me a
        way to get that item into the tools menu other than installing a second time
        while logged on as patron?
        Merlin Kitchen

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help
        save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
        'Thanks & Giving.'
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
          >>> 8- Inside the Programs folder you should see the folder that contains the
          startup items for your PAFWiz software. Select that folder and move it to a
          corresponding location in the Programs folder of the All Users folder. This
          will make the items available to all logged on users of the computer. <<<

          Don't forget to reset the security, otherwise you may find that other users still can use the icons that they can see.
        • Don L. Blanchard
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
            We are currently running four computers with Windows 98 and three with
            XP. We have added some additional computers running Windows 2000, and
            Windows 2000 is also running on the server (dedicated - not a
            workstation). I am experiencing disconnects from the server after a period
            of time with no activity, but only on the computers running 2000. The XP
            and 98 machines remain connected. I have turned off the monitor timed shut
            down feature thinking that might affect it and have the timed turn off
            feature for the ethernet cards turned off. There must be another timed
            feature I am missing somewhere.

            On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can be
            served by Windows 2000. I know that some of you are operating dual-boot
            systems using Linux along with Windows to get around this problem. Is it
            worth the effort or is it just a constant job to maintain. Was it
            difficult to set up and get running?

            Don L. Blanchard
            Cedar City FHC
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
              >>> On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can be served by Windows 2000. <<<

              I suspect that's the problem. A new machine comes along and grabbs a connection that wasn't active from another machine. If you weren't out of connections, the machines would simply reconnect automatically. That least that's my guess.

              I've never experienced any kinds of timeouts but then I stay under the 10 connection limit.
            • Don L. Blanchard
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                The number of connections is not the problem. It happens to four different
                machines when they are the only ones connected to the server.

                Don

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                  > We are currently running four computers with Windows 98 and three with
                  > XP. We have added some additional computers running Windows 2000, and
                  > Windows 2000 is also running on the server (dedicated - not a
                  > workstation). I am experiencing disconnects from the server after a
                  period
                  > of time with no activity, but only on the computers running 2000. The XP
                  > and 98 machines remain connected. I have turned off the monitor timed
                  shut
                  > down feature thinking that might affect it and have the timed turn off
                  > feature for the ethernet cards turned off. There must be another timed
                  > feature I am missing somewhere.

                  I would think not the monitor shutdown but something else in the Power
                  Options such as the hibernation setting.

                  > On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can
                  be
                  > served by Windows 2000. I know that some of you are operating dual-boot
                  > systems using Linux along with Windows to get around this problem. Is it
                  > worth the effort or is it just a constant job to maintain. Was it
                  > difficult to set up and get running?
                  >
                  > Don L. Blanchard
                  > Cedar City FHC

                  We use Linux on our server, but I am not sure why anyone in a FHC setting
                  would want or need to dual boot with Windows. That only serves to take up
                  additional HD space. If you need to run Linux to avoid a 10 user limit, just
                  bite the bullet and run it. With only 5 clients, if I had to do things over
                  I would NOT use Linux, mainly due to the challenge of finding members in the
                  stake who have a clue about it. We have one Linux guru, and I have taught
                  myself a little, and that is about it. Also, the later PRF disk sets have a
                  program (MI4PRFN50.exe) which automates server setup. You cannot run that on
                  a Linux machine, so unless you already have it on your current server you
                  might need to manually create the full directory structure. That is a lot of
                  work and any slight error in spelling or structure will throw a monkey
                  wrench into the process. If you do elect to use Linux, I would probably run
                  the server setup on a Windows computer, then copy the entire directory tree
                  across the network to the Linux machine, either before or after copying the
                  data files into the folders.

                  With Linux you will need to configure the SAMBA program so it will
                  communicate with the Windows machines, and there are some specific settings
                  related to the Master Browser which I needed to tweak. If you use UPS power
                  supplies there may be some additional configuration if you want the unit to
                  communicate with the OS and be able to do an unattended graceful shutdown in
                  the event of a power failure.

                  Bottom line is, if your current W2K server is doing the job then, "if it
                  ain't broke.......".

                  Gary Templeman
                  Corvallis Oregon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                    Are they the only ones powered on? The others may be trying to connect if they are powered on as well.

                    How are you making the connections? Mapped drives? Are they set to re-connect at login?

                    From: "Don L. Blanchard" <blanchard@...>
                    Date: 2005/04/10 Sun PM 05:45:00 HST
                    To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                      >>> I would think not the monitor shutdown but something else in the Power Options such as the hibernation setting. <<<

                      Hibernation, or standby. I'd check those under Control Panel | Power.

                      Also check the CMOS settings on those machines. I've seen cases where there were settings in CMOS that was doing things that wasn't set up in Windows.
                    • Don L. Blanchard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                        At the time I was doing the tests, the server and four computers running
                        W2K were the only computers turned on. I am running mapped drives and yes,
                        they are set to reconnect at login. They do reconnect if I reboot, but
                        after a time period they will disconnect again. I am going back to the
                        center this morning to do some more checking.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                          If it's not the power settings, then there's a couple more things to try:

                          Make sure all the drivers on the machine are up to date. Go to the computer
                          manufacture's site and load the various updates. If the Network card is an
                          add-in, then do the same for the card.

                          How's the network wiring? It's possible that a bad cable or other network
                          problem could affect things. Not sure why that would be just the Win2K
                          machines, but maybe they were added at the same time and all suffer the same
                          problem or something.

                          Something else: If your over 10 computers, then you've probably exceeded
                          the license of the Cisco PIX box. By default that box the DHCP that
                          assigned the TCP/IP addresses. You may be running out of assigned IPs.
                          (I'm guessing). It will affect you when it comes to connecting to the web.
                          Call Global Connect to increase the license on that box.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 13, 2005
                            We were having problems with several newer computers we put into service disconnecting from the mapped drives on the server after a period of time.  All of the affected computers are running Windows 2000.  I appreciate all of the suggestions that were made by the group and tried all of them with no success.  I finally did a search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base) and located three possible solutions.  One of the similar problems is related to Compaq computers which the church often bought.  The "Fix" for my problem is located in the Regedit files and is associated with a server time out parameter that is set at a default of 15 minutes of no activity.  The related documents can be located at the following links and are step by step instructions:

                            Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

                            http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en_us;297684    This is the one that helped me.

                            How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000

                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138365/EN_US/

                            Some Compaq Programs Cause Mapped Drives to Be Disconnected

                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305355/EN_US/

                            The misleading factor was that it did not affect Windows 98 and XP computers connected to the server.

                            The "Fix" needs to be applied to the server - not the work stations.  It seems odd that no one else has had this problem.

                            Don L. Blanchard
                            Cedar City, Utah FHC
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2005
                              It's possible that things do disconnect, but Windows is usually pretty good about reconnecting as soon as something accesses it.

                              Glad you got it fixed.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 14, 2005
                                Russell Hltn said:

                                > It's possible that things do disconnect, but Windows is usually pretty
                                > good
                                > about reconnecting as soon as something accesses it.

                                Yes, I agree! I've noticed that even though Windows shows disconnected
                                mapped drives after a period of time (red "X's" through the drive icons), it
                                doesn't seem to matter... the programs that use those mapped drives are able
                                to find the data just fine.

                                Sincerely,

                                Ronald W. Frye
                                Danville, CA FHC Computer Specialist