Re: [fhctech] PAF tools menu and PAFWiz

  • mkitchen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
      PAFWiz is a program addon for PAF, marketed by the same people who wrote Ancestral Quest (Incline Software). (Ancestral Quest 3.0 was given to the Church and it became PAF4)
      PAFWiz provides several diferent kinds of printouts, and also corrects a problem that PAF5 has with creating web pages. It has a few other interesting functions.
      They will give it free to family history centers. Anyone else can download a trial version. Use Google with the term pafwiz and it will come up.
      Merlin Kitchen
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
        I'll bet the problem is that when it installed it loaded something into
        PAF's registry settings that are for the User. You can either try to move
        those registry settings, or temporarily elevate the Patron login to
        administrator rights and re-install using the Patron login.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
          If I understand correctly you can see and use the startup icons for this
          software when you are logged on as Administrator but not for other user
          logon IDs. If this is a correct interpretation on my part then it is easily
          fixed in most cases.

          This probably resulted from the method of installation. Often software will
          load to the user that is logged in at the time it is loaded, in this case
          Administrator. This is part of the Win2k normal security routine.

          If you open Windows Explorer and look at the file list you can locate the
          file that needs to be changed and you can do it manually to make the icons
          available for all users.

          Try the following:

          1- Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting
          Explore from the pop-up menu.
          2- If you do not have two windows (right and left sides)Click on the
          "Folders" button to change the view so you have a Folders section on the
          left and a Files section on the right.
          3- Locate the C drive in the left window and double click it to open the
          drive.
          4- Locate the Documents and Settings folder on the C drive and double click
          on it to expand it.
          5- In the Documents and Settings folder will be several folders. One will be
          called "All Users" and one will be called Administrator. There will be
          folders for every log on ID.
          6- Double click on the All Users folder to open it.
          7- Inside that folder you will see a folder called Start; double click on
          the Start folder to open the Programs folder, then double click on the
          Programs folder to see its contents. This should leave the Program folder
          and its folders showing in the left window.
          6- Locate and open the folder of the log on ID that you used when you
          installed the software by double-clicking on that folder. This folder will
          be in the Documents and Settings folder
          7- Inside that folder you will see a folder called Start; double click on
          the Start folder to open the Programs folder, then double click on the
          Programs folder to see its contents.
          8- Inside the Programs folder you should see the folder that contains the
          startup items for your PAFWiz software. Select that folder and move it to a
          corresponding location in the Programs folder of the All Users folder. This
          will make the items available to all logged on users of the computer.

          Dennis Stewart
          Meridian East Family History Center
          Boise, ID

          I installed PAFWiz while logged on as Administrator. As a result, the PAF
          tools menu contains PAFWiz, but only while logged on as Administrator. When
          logged on as patron, PAFWiz is not in the tools menu. Can someone tell me a
          way to get that item into the tools menu other than installing a second time
          while logged on as patron?
          Merlin Kitchen

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help
          save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
          'Thanks & Giving.'
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
            >>> 8- Inside the Programs folder you should see the folder that contains the
            startup items for your PAFWiz software. Select that folder and move it to a
            corresponding location in the Programs folder of the All Users folder. This
            will make the items available to all logged on users of the computer. <<<

            Don't forget to reset the security, otherwise you may find that other users still can use the icons that they can see.
          • Don L. Blanchard
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
              We are currently running four computers with Windows 98 and three with
              XP. We have added some additional computers running Windows 2000, and
              Windows 2000 is also running on the server (dedicated - not a
              workstation). I am experiencing disconnects from the server after a period
              of time with no activity, but only on the computers running 2000. The XP
              and 98 machines remain connected. I have turned off the monitor timed shut
              down feature thinking that might affect it and have the timed turn off
              feature for the ethernet cards turned off. There must be another timed
              feature I am missing somewhere.

              On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can be
              served by Windows 2000. I know that some of you are operating dual-boot
              systems using Linux along with Windows to get around this problem. Is it
              worth the effort or is it just a constant job to maintain. Was it
              difficult to set up and get running?

              Don L. Blanchard
              Cedar City FHC
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                >>> On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can be served by Windows 2000. <<<

                I suspect that's the problem. A new machine comes along and grabbs a connection that wasn't active from another machine. If you weren't out of connections, the machines would simply reconnect automatically. That least that's my guess.

                I've never experienced any kinds of timeouts but then I stay under the 10 connection limit.
              • Don L. Blanchard
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                  The number of connections is not the problem. It happens to four different
                  machines when they are the only ones connected to the server.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                    > We are currently running four computers with Windows 98 and three with
                    > XP. We have added some additional computers running Windows 2000, and
                    > Windows 2000 is also running on the server (dedicated - not a
                    > workstation). I am experiencing disconnects from the server after a
                    period
                    > of time with no activity, but only on the computers running 2000. The XP
                    > and 98 machines remain connected. I have turned off the monitor timed
                    shut
                    > down feature thinking that might affect it and have the timed turn off
                    > feature for the ethernet cards turned off. There must be another timed
                    > feature I am missing somewhere.

                    I would think not the monitor shutdown but something else in the Power
                    Options such as the hibernation setting.

                    > On a different, but related subject, we now have more computers than can
                    be
                    > served by Windows 2000. I know that some of you are operating dual-boot
                    > systems using Linux along with Windows to get around this problem. Is it
                    > worth the effort or is it just a constant job to maintain. Was it
                    > difficult to set up and get running?
                    >
                    > Don L. Blanchard
                    > Cedar City FHC

                    We use Linux on our server, but I am not sure why anyone in a FHC setting
                    would want or need to dual boot with Windows. That only serves to take up
                    additional HD space. If you need to run Linux to avoid a 10 user limit, just
                    bite the bullet and run it. With only 5 clients, if I had to do things over
                    I would NOT use Linux, mainly due to the challenge of finding members in the
                    stake who have a clue about it. We have one Linux guru, and I have taught
                    myself a little, and that is about it. Also, the later PRF disk sets have a
                    program (MI4PRFN50.exe) which automates server setup. You cannot run that on
                    a Linux machine, so unless you already have it on your current server you
                    might need to manually create the full directory structure. That is a lot of
                    work and any slight error in spelling or structure will throw a monkey
                    wrench into the process. If you do elect to use Linux, I would probably run
                    the server setup on a Windows computer, then copy the entire directory tree
                    across the network to the Linux machine, either before or after copying the
                    data files into the folders.

                    With Linux you will need to configure the SAMBA program so it will
                    communicate with the Windows machines, and there are some specific settings
                    related to the Master Browser which I needed to tweak. If you use UPS power
                    supplies there may be some additional configuration if you want the unit to
                    communicate with the OS and be able to do an unattended graceful shutdown in
                    the event of a power failure.

                    Bottom line is, if your current W2K server is doing the job then, "if it
                    ain't broke.......".

                    Gary Templeman
                    Corvallis Oregon
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                      Are they the only ones powered on? The others may be trying to connect if they are powered on as well.

                      How are you making the connections? Mapped drives? Are they set to re-connect at login?

                      From: "Don L. Blanchard" <blanchard@...>
                      Date: 2005/04/10 Sun PM 05:45:00 HST
                      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                        >>> I would think not the monitor shutdown but something else in the Power Options such as the hibernation setting. <<<

                        Hibernation, or standby. I'd check those under Control Panel | Power.

                        Also check the CMOS settings on those machines. I've seen cases where there were settings in CMOS that was doing things that wasn't set up in Windows.
                      • Don L. Blanchard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                          At the time I was doing the tests, the server and four computers running
                          W2K were the only computers turned on. I am running mapped drives and yes,
                          they are set to reconnect at login. They do reconnect if I reboot, but
                          after a time period they will disconnect again. I am going back to the
                          center this morning to do some more checking.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 11, 2005
                            If it's not the power settings, then there's a couple more things to try:

                            Make sure all the drivers on the machine are up to date. Go to the computer
                            manufacture's site and load the various updates. If the Network card is an
                            add-in, then do the same for the card.

                            How's the network wiring? It's possible that a bad cable or other network
                            problem could affect things. Not sure why that would be just the Win2K
                            machines, but maybe they were added at the same time and all suffer the same
                            problem or something.

                            Something else: If your over 10 computers, then you've probably exceeded
                            the license of the Cisco PIX box. By default that box the DHCP that
                            assigned the TCP/IP addresses. You may be running out of assigned IPs.
                            (I'm guessing). It will affect you when it comes to connecting to the web.
                            Call Global Connect to increase the license on that box.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 13, 2005
                              We were having problems with several newer computers we put into service disconnecting from the mapped drives on the server after a period of time.  All of the affected computers are running Windows 2000.  I appreciate all of the suggestions that were made by the group and tried all of them with no success.  I finally did a search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base) and located three possible solutions.  One of the similar problems is related to Compaq computers which the church often bought.  The "Fix" for my problem is located in the Regedit files and is associated with a server time out parameter that is set at a default of 15 minutes of no activity.  The related documents can be located at the following links and are step by step instructions:

                              Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

                              http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en_us;297684    This is the one that helped me.

                              How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000

                              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138365/EN_US/

                              Some Compaq Programs Cause Mapped Drives to Be Disconnected

                              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305355/EN_US/

                              The misleading factor was that it did not affect Windows 98 and XP computers connected to the server.

                              The "Fix" needs to be applied to the server - not the work stations.  It seems odd that no one else has had this problem.

                              Don L. Blanchard
                              Cedar City, Utah FHC
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 14, 2005
                                It's possible that things do disconnect, but Windows is usually pretty good about reconnecting as soon as something accesses it.

                                Glad you got it fixed.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 14, 2005
                                  Russell Hltn said:

                                  > It's possible that things do disconnect, but Windows is usually pretty
                                  > good
                                  > about reconnecting as soon as something accesses it.

                                  Yes, I agree! I've noticed that even though Windows shows disconnected
                                  mapped drives after a period of time (red "X's" through the drive icons), it
                                  doesn't seem to matter... the programs that use those mapped drives are able
                                  to find the data just fine.

                                  Sincerely,

                                  Ronald W. Frye
                                  Danville, CA FHC Computer Specialist