Re: [fhctech] Viruses

  • ramakrishnan viswanathan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
      request kindly delete my address from your mailing list

      thank you
      viswanathan

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
        Make sure you have a firewall on your system. For a broadband system the
        church supplies a Cisco PIX box.

        An unpatched computer sitting on the internet without a firewall will be
        compromised within 20 minutes by some kind of probe. That's less time then
        it takes to get the patches.

        To survive in today's world, a computer needs anti-spyware, a firewall and
        an anti-virus program - in that order of importance. The church guidelines
        supply the firewall and antivirus. I'd suggest "Spybot - Search and
        Destroy" along with "Spyware Blaster" that Spybot suggests. These are free
        for non-profit (FHC) use. Ad-aware is also a good program, but the personal
        version can't legally used in a FHC without purchasing it. But you might
        give it a trial run to clean things out. <g>
      • firthmb
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2005
          What OS are you running? Assuming Windows 2000 or above, below are a
          few more suggestions:

          -From a command prompt, type NETSTAT -AN
          This will show you all the network connections on your system. Look
          for any suspicious entrees in the Foreign Address column. Be aware
          that most malware won't become "active" until they see an
          active Internet connection. Perhaps you could add a temporary dial-up
          connection while you diagnose the problem. If you need help
          deciphering the NETSTAT results just post them to this list.

          -Download and run STINGER
          http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
          This is a stand-alone virus scanner from McAfee that is excellent in
          situations like yours.

          -Download and run Spybot S&D
          http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
          As mentioned by others, this is a great utility for cleaning spyware.

          -Download and run CWShedder (stand-alone version)
          Finds and cleans the major spyware that Spybot misses.

          -Download and run Hijackthis (last resort)
          Lists possible hiding places of spyware on your computer.

          Good luck!

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2005
            You will need to do it by sending an email to the correct address, as per the instructions appended to the bottom of every message posted here. The list owner *may* see your request and take care of it, but using the correct address will expedite things.

            Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 8:23 AM
            Subject: Re: [fhctech] Viruses