Re: [fhctech] Viruses

  • ramakrishnan viswanathan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
      request kindly delete my address from your mailing list

      thank you
      viswanathan

    • Larry Jackson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
        Russell:

        >>> Since you say this is a church connection,
        I assume this is most likely a FHC. <<<

        You know if I paid more attention to what list
        the message was from, I wouldn't have to make
        such a guess. <g> I thought I was on the Clerk's
        List.

        _______________

        Well, you did suggest I come here for FHE questions!
        This one is a part of the long saga where SL insisted
        that Bell install a DSL line and they refused, because
        they do not service the area at all.

        We finally got them to ask Sprint to do it. All the
        pieces are here. I think we just don't quite have
        them all together. (like the firewall, etc.)

        Larry
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2005
          Make sure you have a firewall on your system. For a broadband system the
          church supplies a Cisco PIX box.

          An unpatched computer sitting on the internet without a firewall will be
          compromised within 20 minutes by some kind of probe. That's less time then
          it takes to get the patches.

          To survive in today's world, a computer needs anti-spyware, a firewall and
          an anti-virus program - in that order of importance. The church guidelines
          supply the firewall and antivirus. I'd suggest "Spybot - Search and
          Destroy" along with "Spyware Blaster" that Spybot suggests. These are free
          for non-profit (FHC) use. Ad-aware is also a good program, but the personal
          version can't legally used in a FHC without purchasing it. But you might
          give it a trial run to clean things out. <g>
        • firthmb
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2005
            What OS are you running? Assuming Windows 2000 or above, below are a
            few more suggestions:

            -From a command prompt, type NETSTAT -AN
            This will show you all the network connections on your system. Look
            for any suspicious entrees in the Foreign Address column. Be aware
            that most malware won't become "active" until they see an
            active Internet connection. Perhaps you could add a temporary dial-up
            connection while you diagnose the problem. If you need help
            deciphering the NETSTAT results just post them to this list.

            -Download and run STINGER
            http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
            This is a stand-alone virus scanner from McAfee that is excellent in
            situations like yours.

            -Download and run Spybot S&D
            http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
            As mentioned by others, this is a great utility for cleaning spyware.

            -Download and run CWShedder (stand-alone version)
            Finds and cleans the major spyware that Spybot misses.

            -Download and run Hijackthis (last resort)
            Lists possible hiding places of spyware on your computer.

            Good luck!

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2005
              You will need to do it by sending an email to the correct address, as per the instructions appended to the bottom of every message posted here. The list owner *may* see your request and take care of it, but using the correct address will expedite things.

              Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 8:23 AM
              Subject: Re: [fhctech] Viruses