How to Opt Out of Yahoo's new snooping (must be done on each computer that you use to access yahoogroups)

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
      How to Opt Out of Yahoo's new snooping (must be done on each computer that you use to access yahoogroups)

      Opt Out!!!

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to
      track Yahoo
      Group users around the net and see what you're doing
      and where you
      are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every
      website and
      every group you visit.

      Take a look at their updated privacy statement:
      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy
      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

      About half-way down the page, in the section on
      cookies, you will see
      a link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web
      beacons. That
      will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the
      Yahoo Network."

      In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt
      out" link that
      will let you opt-out of their new method of snooping.

      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

      Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted.

      Notice the "Success" message on the top of the next
      page. Be careful
      because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out"
      button that, if
      clicked, will *undo* the opt-out.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
        How to Opt Out of Yahoo's new snooping (must be done on each computer that you use to access yahoogroups)
        I don't understand what the concern is.  For one, I don't think this is anything new.  Second, it really doesn't disclose much.

        If you hold a strong position on privacy, then you should find out about how to configure your browser.  IE6 comes with tools to manage cookies and Outlook 2003 will not automatically load images defeating some information when used in emails.

        I don't worry about Yahoo as much as some of the smaller guys who may or may not disclose the information.

        The biggest downside to Yahoo is to make sure you've oped out of their marketing.  Go to http://subscribe.yahoo.com/showaccount and make sure that everything is unchecked.  By default it will be checked.  This will reduce the amount of spam that ends up in your inbox.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
          Hi,

          We have a Win98 file server with a 30 GB boot drive and a raid striped
          160 GB file storage drive. I found after checking that this has an ATA100
          controller.
          We have experienced strange things lately when we try to copy the CDs
          from the 80s set of Pedigree Resource File to the hard disk (HD). Copies
          will quit in the middle and lock up the PC. We still have 20-30 GB of free
          space.
          As we are also in the process of upgrading to another server with Win2K
          and a 300 GB drive. I found in the Maxtor instructions information on
          overcoming the 137 GB bios limit. There were three ways:

          1. use ATA133 controllers
          2. use XP sp1
          3. use Win2K sp3

          Additionally you can partition the drive into chunks less than 137 GB.

          I suppect our problems are the cause of exceeding the 137 GB limit and
          that upgrading the operation system to Win2K will solve them. Anyone else
          have experience with this?

          Vern Taylor
          Stockton CA FHC

          =====
          IBSSG, Editor of the Stockton CA Family History newsletter. Free subs. <FHCnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

          There once was a researcher named Vern
          He found many ancestors, but learned
          For every one you find
          It's really unkind
          There's still two more to discern

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
            I'd talk to whoever made the raid controller. The 137GB limit is a
            partition size limit meaning you wouldn't be able to create a partition
            larger then that, not that things would crash if you tried to fill a
            partition larger then that. At least that's what I experienced when
            building my Win2k pro server with a 200GB second drive.

            I quick google suggests you should be able to run under Win98, but some of
            the utilities may need to be updated.

            All in all, Win2K is not a bad idea. There is a registry tweak needed to
            use large drives, but Maxtor has a painless way of doing it.

[...]

            Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • James W Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
              I've also found out the problem may be that the drive
              you are trying to install may be too large for Windows
              98, any version, to handle.

              A friend I am working with in the LDS music industry
              who knows alot about computers and networks, said that
              the best thing to do is to upgrade to Windows 2000 at
              least. That's the earliest OS that will handle large
              drives, and later versions of Windows such as XP, that
              will handle drives as large as you are talking about.

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • Marty Allred
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
                > Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:15:43 -0800 (PST)
                > From: Vern Taylor <stanleyscribe@...>
                > Subject: 137 GB limit
                >
                > Hi,
                >
                > We have a Win98 file server with a 30 GB boot drive and a raid striped
                > 160 GB file storage drive. I found after checking that this has an ATA100
                > controller.
                > We have experienced strange things lately when we try to copy the CDs
                > from the 80s set of Pedigree Resource File to the hard disk (HD). Copies
                > will quit in the middle and lock up the PC. We still have 20-30 GB of free
                > space.
                > As we are also in the process of upgrading to another server with Win2K
                > and a 300 GB drive. I found in the Maxtor instructions information on
                > overcoming the 137 GB bios limit. There were three ways:
                >
                > 1. use ATA133 controllers
                > 2. use XP sp1
                > 3. use Win2K sp3
                >
                > Additionally you can partition the drive into chunks less than 137 GB.
                >
                > I suppect our problems are the cause of exceeding the 137 GB limit and
                > that upgrading the operation system to Win2K will solve them. Anyone else
                > have experience with this?
                >
                > Vern Taylor
                > Stockton CA FHC

                I've had exactly the same problem before, doing exactly the same thing. What
                worked for us was to turn off the S.M.A.R.T. Drive Technology setting in the
                BIOS, both for the motherboard and the RAID controller. Problem instantly and
                permanently solved.

                It's worth a try.

                Marty Allred
                Florence, SC

                The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                http://my.yahoo.com
              • Rulon Fronk
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
                  Greetings,

                  You note that your two drives are raid striped (raid 0). That means that
                  your two drives are working as one. Your total capacity will be twice the
                  smaller of your two drives, or 30+30=60GB, not 30GB+160GB. You should have
                  two identical drives for raid 0 to work ideally.

                  You might want to install the drives separately. (I have the operating
                  system on a 40 GB drive and the data on a separate 160 GB drive.)

                  If that does not take care of the problem, then it probably is a 137 limit
                  problem. The solutions you note are quite right. There is one more
                  possible solution, but it is a little risky and that is to flash your bios
                  with an update. Not all BIOS's have updates that allow 137 and larger hard
                  drives. Also, if you use the wrong BIOS or not install it properly, your
                  computer will not work at all. So I have never tried this.

                  The computer that serves are our server has a BIOS that is pre-2002 (...will
                  not support drives larger than 137). I installed a controller card and run
                  our 160GB and 250GB drives off that card. They work great.

                  As a footnote, I use the 250GB hard drive as a backup of all the data on the
                  active drive. I do not look forward to reinstall the hundreds of CDs should
                  the hard drive crash. All I need to do is replace the failed drive, restore
                  the data and install the CDs since my last backup. (If one hard drive in
                  the raid 0 array fails, all data is lost in both drives.)

                  About windows 98; internal ATA drives larger that 137GB require 48 Bit
                  logical block address support. 48 bit LBA requires windows 98 with the
                  Intel Application Accelerator loaded. You are better off upgrading to
                  windows 2000 with service pack 4 or later. We use windows 2000.

                  Good luck.
                  Rulon Fronk
                  Cerritos, CA FHC

                  >From: Vern Taylor <stanleyscribe@...>
                  >To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [fhctech] 137 GB limit
                  >Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:15:43 -0800 (PST)
                  >
                  >Hi,
                  >
                  > We have a Win98 file server with a 30 GB boot drive and a raid striped
                  >160 GB file storage drive. I found after checking that this has an ATA100
                  >controller.
                  > We have experienced strange things lately when we try to copy the CDs
                  >from the 80s set of Pedigree Resource File to the hard disk (HD). Copies
                  >will quit in the middle and lock up the PC. We still have 20-30 GB of free
                  >space.
                  > As we are also in the process of upgrading to another server with Win2K
                  >and a 300 GB drive. I found in the Maxtor instructions information on
                  >overcoming the 137 GB bios limit. There were three ways:
                  >
                  >1. use ATA133 controllers
                  >2. use XP sp1
                  >3. use Win2K sp3
                  >
                  >Additionally you can partition the drive into chunks less than 137 GB.
                  >
                  > I suppect our problems are the cause of exceeding the 137 GB limit and
                  >that upgrading the operation system to Win2K will solve them. Anyone else
                  >have experience with this?
                  >
                  >Vern Taylor
                  >Stockton CA FHC
                  >

                  >=====
                  >IBSSG, Editor of the Stockton CA Family History newsletter. Free subs.
                  ><FHCnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
                  >
                  >There once was a researcher named Vern
                  > He found many ancestors, but learned
                  > For every one you find
                  > It's really unkind
                  > There's still two more to discern

                  >Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.
                  >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Vern Taylor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
                    --- Rulon Fronk <rulonrf@...> wrote:
                    > You note that your two drives are raid striped (raid 0). That means that
                    > your two drives are working as one. Your total capacity will be twice
                    > the smaller of your two drives, or

                    They are 80GB + 80 GB for a total of 160 GB with another 30 GB boot drive.
                    Vern.

                    =====

                    http://mail.yahoo.com