Re: [fhctech] Its's all in the timing

  • Phil Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
      Rich
      One other thing came to mind from what you described below. When I first did
      the networking I ran into similar problems. What I found out is for some
      reason I missed pieces of the databases when the copy was done. The way I
      found out how to fix this was have the patrons give me the names and area
      they were doing the search for. As you mentioned it was random sometimes
      things worked fine and other times it failed. Took me awhile to figure it
      was certain names and regions that failed. Then I did the same search on a
      dos / CD based machine and low and behold I found parts of the databases
      missing on the server. All I had to do was reload that one CD again and it
      worked fine. I also found out how to do a speed test per say by doing a
      search for film 12345678 in the library catalog it's some 400 pages long and
      if things aren't right it will fail.
      Good Luck

      Phil

      P.S. I keep two machines tucked away still with the dos / CD's for two
      reasons. One is to duplicate these kind of problems and the Second is in
      case the Server dies patrons will have a machine to work on while I fix the
      server. Sure saves alot of pressure and stress.