Its's all in the timing

  • Rich Madden
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2001
      At Santa Clara Family History Center we have recently moved from using the Windows 98 to NT 4.0 and we now have the problem of Family search not finding the server drive for it's searching of files. You go to start igi and it will say that it temporarily can not run this program. I think that it is saying that the drive is not ready and I want to know if anyone knows where the settings for time out are for Family Search?

      Thanks for the help.
      Rich Madden

      ---
    • tnh@owc.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2001
        On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:27:57 -0800, you wrote:

        >At Santa Clara Family History Center we have recently moved from using the Windows 98 to NT 4.0 and we now have the problem of Family search not finding the server drive for it's searching of files. You go to start igi and it will say that it temporarily can not run this program. I think that it is saying that the drive is not ready and I want to know if anyone knows where the settings for time out are for Family Search?

        I'm not so sure that it is a timing issue. NT 4.0 has a whole set of
        policies and permissions (those are Microsoft terms) that govern access.
        Make sure the drives are mapped and you can see their contents via Network
        Explorer.

        The few times that I've seen that error message, it has always been a case
        of the drive not being connected (mapped). There are a few other quirks
        with NT that doesn't make it the best OS (98 is actually better), though
        the ability to "lock down" a workstation is great. One of the quirks is
        large (local) drive access... limited to 4G.

        What is the OS for the box you are using as your server?

        Tom Huber

      • snowden@cleanusa.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2001
          This won't answer your question but we networked using Windows NT. It
          just didn't hold up good. We were continually getting error boxes.
          Finally changed all but the server to W98. Works great now. No
          problems so far. Margo

          Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
          > eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
          > Click here for more details
          -_->

          > Home Page:
          > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
          > Searchable Archive:
          > http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: fhctech@egroups.com
          > Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@egroups.com
          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.egroups.com/community/fhctech

        • Rich Madden
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
            The Server is an NT 4.0 sp6a box, I can see the content of the drives just
            fine, My problem is that sometimes the part of family search will come up
            and sometimes it gives the red error box mentioned before. Lee says that he
            is having no problem like this and I have not seen it for the last couple of
            days. I did change the settings for some of the other dos legacy apps and
            they or now working ok. The change was to eliminate the ems and xms settings
            for the pif controls in windows. I am waiting to see if there is any further
            problems.

            Thanks for the help.

            Rich Madden
            > On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:27:57 -0800, you wrote:
            >
            > >At Santa Clara Family History Center we have recently moved from using
            the Windows 98 to NT 4.0 and we now have the problem of Family search not
            finding the server drive for it's searching of files. You go to start igi
            and it will say that it temporarily can not run this program. I think that
            it is saying that the drive is not ready and I want to know if anyone knows
            where the settings for time out are for Family Search?

            > I'm not so sure that it is a timing issue. NT 4.0 has a whole set of
            > policies and permissions (those are Microsoft terms) that govern access.
            > Make sure the drives are mapped and you can see their contents via Network
            > Explorer.
            >
            > The few times that I've seen that error message, it has always been a case
            > of the drive not being connected (mapped). There are a few other quirks
            > with NT that doesn't make it the best OS (98 is actually better), though
            > the ability to "lock down" a workstation is great. One of the quirks is
            > large (local) drive access... limited to 4G.
            >
            > What is the OS for the box you are using as your server?
            >
            > Tom Huber
            >

            > >Thanks for the help.
            > >Rich Madden
            > >ramadden@...
            > >

            > >---
            >

            > Home Page:
            > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
            > Searchable Archive:
            > http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: fhctech@egroups.com
            > Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@egroups.com
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > http://www.egroups.com/community/fhctech

            ---
          • Phil Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
              We have all NT, workstations and Server and have had no problems except for
              a bug in FS when doing a library copy to floppy (already reported to
              support). You do need to make sure the workstations and Server all have the
              latest service pack. As well as you need to make sure the latest NIC
              (network adapter cards are at current level). I do have to say we are at
              100mb network so may not see some of the problems. You can speed things up
              by matching the processor speed settings and turn on CD write ahead in the
              setup files for AF,IGI,MI,etc.
              Phil Jeffrey

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2001
                Rich
                One other thing came to mind from what you described below. When I first did
                the networking I ran into similar problems. What I found out is for some
                reason I missed pieces of the databases when the copy was done. The way I
                found out how to fix this was have the patrons give me the names and area
                they were doing the search for. As you mentioned it was random sometimes
                things worked fine and other times it failed. Took me awhile to figure it
                was certain names and regions that failed. Then I did the same search on a
                dos / CD based machine and low and behold I found parts of the databases
                missing on the server. All I had to do was reload that one CD again and it
                worked fine. I also found out how to do a speed test per say by doing a
                search for film 12345678 in the library catalog it's some 400 pages long and
                if things aren't right it will fail.
                Good Luck

                Phil

                P.S. I keep two machines tucked away still with the dos / CD's for two
                reasons. One is to duplicate these kind of problems and the Second is in
                case the Server dies patrons will have a machine to work on while I fix the
                server. Sure saves alot of pressure and stress.