Re: [fhctech] FoxFire?

  • Robert Van Dyne
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2004
      --- Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:13:12 -0700 (PDT) Robert Van
      > Dyne
      > <rhv2880@...> writes:
      > >

      > > I have install the FireFox Browser on all my Gen
      > > Library computers and it works fine with the
      > enhanced
      > > image viewer on Ancestry. The plug-in is
      > downloaded
      > > into the Netscape dir. in the Programs files dir,
      > just
      > > copy it to the mozilla Firefox plug-in dir. which
      > is
      > > in the program files Dir under Mozilla or FireFox.
      >

      > Would you specify which files you copied? There are
      > many files there,
      > only one of which has the Mozilla name on it
      > (npnu.32.dll), but my
      > firefox already has that file and yet the enhanced
      > viewer is not
      > available.
      > Merlin Kitchen

      You must copy a "NPMrSID.dll" file from the this
      location "C:\Program Files\LizardTech\MrSID Browser
      Plug-in 1.3\Netscape Plug-in\NPMrSID.dll" to the
      Plug-in Dir. located at "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
      Firefox\plugins\" this will enable the advanced viewer
      for "FireFox". Please be aware that the advanced
      viewer has been known to not work for some census
      years, so if your Patrons complain about it, it is not
      the fault of FireFox but maybe the format of the
      census files on Ancestry or a problem with the viewer.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2004
        >>> Please be aware that the advanced viewer has been known to not work for
        some census years, <<<

        Ancestry uses two different viewers. One for the 1930 and a different one
        for the 1920 census. I know MrSID is one of them and I don't remember the
        name of the other. Did you install them both and confirm they work?
      • Merlin R Kitchen
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2004
          On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:47:53 -0700 (PDT) Robert Van Dyne
          <rhv2880@...> writes:

          > --- Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@...> wrote:
          >

          > > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:13:12 -0700 (PDT) Robert Van
          > > Dyne
          > > <rhv2880@...> writes:
          > > >

          > > > I have install the FireFox Browser on all my Gen
          > > > Library computers and it works fine with the
          > > enhanced
          > > > image viewer on Ancestry. The plug-in is
          > > downloaded
          > > > into the Netscape dir. in the Programs files dir,
          > > just
          > > > copy it to the mozilla Firefox plug-in dir. which
          > > is
          > > > in the program files Dir under Mozilla or FireFox.
          > >

          > > Would you specify which files you copied? There are
          > > many files there,
          > > only one of which has the Mozilla name on it
          > > (npnu.32.dll), but my
          > > firefox already has that file and yet the enhanced
          > > viewer is not
          > > available.
          > > Merlin Kitchen
          > >
          > You must copy a "NPMrSID.dll" file from the this
          > location "C:\Program Files\LizardTech\MrSID Browser
          > Plug-in 1.3\Netscape Plug-in\NPMrSID.dll" to the
          > Plug-in Dir. located at "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
          > Firefox\plugins\" this will enable the advanced viewer
          > for "FireFox". Please be aware that the advanced
          > viewer has been known to not work for some census
          > years, so if your Patrons complain about it, it is not
          > the fault of FireFox but maybe the format of the
          > census files on Ancestry or a problem with the viewer.

          The "MrSid" viewer is used on 1830,1840,1850,1900,1910, and 1920 images
          and the above solves that problem.

          A different viewer is used for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1860, 1870, 1880,
          and 1930 and so the above solution does not work for those years.