Windows 2000 updates

  • simonsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
      We just cleaned off a computer with Windows 98 and installed Windows
      2000. As soon as we connected to the internet
      we were infomed that we should install the service packs and upgrades.
      There are many and it takes a lot of time.
      Is it possible to get the upgrades/updates on CD? Is there an efficient
      way to accomplish the updates?
      We have many more computers were are planning on upgrading to Windows
      2000 and do not want to take so much
      time with each one.
      Your help will be appreciated,
      Richard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        Since I have access to broadband, I'm lazy. You used to be able to order a CD from Microsoft that has some of the major patches, but in checking the website,it's no longer available.

        If you use the automatic updates and follow the link for each item, you can download each file and then manually install it. Then by copying the files, you can use them on each PC. However despite being careful, I seem to download the wrong files so they don't work. That's why I got lazy.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
          There is a way to download all of the updates for a specific
          operating system.

          For example the Church supplies 2 CDs for W2K

          1) is W2k and I think it includes SP1

          2) is W2k SP2

          I downloaded W2K SP4 and put it on CD.

          You can go to the MS Windows Update Screen on the left panel click
          on "Administrator Options". On the resulting screen, under the
          heading of "Update multiple operating systems" click on the link
          to "Windows Update Catalog". On the resulting page select the
          operating system you will be updateing. In my case that was W2K Pro
          SP4. Under the advanced options you can select the types of updates
          you wish to download ( i.e. critical, security etc ). I download
          these and put them on the CD with SP4.

          My process is then to:

          1) do a clean install using the first CD

          2) install SP2

          3) install SP4

          4) apply the other updates as needed.

          I then connect that computer to the internet and then check the
          Windows Update Site to see if I missed any updates that are needed.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
            >>> For example the Church supplies 2 CDs for W2K <<<

            I got my CDs well over a year ago. It was W2K and already was at SP2. What they hand out today might just have SP4 on it already.

            Still, your outline is valid. Install W2K, then if it's not at SP4, install SP4 on top of it.