IGI on hard drive for TRW (again)

  • jacketheridge20042004
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17 12:01 PM
      My name is Jack Etheridge and I am the new FHC director for a small
      ward
      called Cloverdale in Northern California.

      I have spent many hours searching FHCnet postings and FHCtech
      postings
      and the FHCtech web site and the internet in general, looking for an
      answer
      to what should be a simple question.

      The question is: How do I get TRW to access the IGI and Addendums on
      the
      hard drive. I have re-partitioned the hard drive and moved all of
      the
      disks on to the new partition. I have uninstalled TRW and re-
      installed it,
      selecting the hard drive and path. It continues to look at the D:
      drive for
      a CD.

      Now, I'll admit that I did splash around in the shallow end of the
      Gene Pool,
      and most of you are way over my head, but I'm really not stupid. So
      what in
      the world am I doing wrong?

      We only have two computers and have no plans or resources to ever
      network
      these two computers. Heck, we have trouble networking with other
      Wards.

      The computer that I have loaded the CD's to is a:
      HP 7550 2.4 ghz, W2K, 515 meg ram, 37gb hard drive

      + C:>Local disk

      + D:>Compact disk

      - E:>Local disk

      + IGI disk

      + NA Add disk 1

      + NA Add disk 2

      + NA Add disk 3

      etc

      Someone please help this sweet 60 year old member that just wants to
      magnify his
      calling and make life a little easier for our members that are
      submitting names.
    • William Hay

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17 7:12 PM
          jacketheridge20042004 wrote:
          > My name is Jack Etheridge and I am the new FHC director for a small
          > ward
          > called Cloverdale in Northern California.
          >
          > I have spent many hours searching FHCnet postings and FHCtech
          > postings
          > and the FHCtech web site and the internet in general, looking for an
          > answer
          > to what should be a simple question.
          >
          > The question is: How do I get TRW to access the IGI and Addendums on
          > the
          > hard drive. I have re-partitioned the hard drive and moved all of
          > the
          > disks on to the new partition. I have uninstalled TRW and re-
          > installed it,
          > selecting the hard drive and path. It continues to look at the D:
          > drive for
          > a CD.
          >
          > Now, I'll admit that I did splash around in the shallow end of the
          > Gene Pool,
          > and most of you are way over my head, but I'm really not stupid. So
          > what in
          > the world am I doing wrong?
          >
          > We only have two computers and have no plans or resources to ever
          > network
          > these two computers. Heck, we have trouble networking with other
          > Wards.
          >
          > The computer that I have loaded the CD's to is a:
          > HP 7550 2.4 ghz, W2K, 515 meg ram, 37gb hard drive
          >

          > + C:>Local disk
          > |

          > + D:>Compact disk
          > |

          > - E:>Local disk
          > |

          > + IGI disk
          > |

          > + NA Add disk 1
          > |

          > + NA Add disk 2
          > |

          > + NA Add disk 3
          > |

          > etc
          >
          > Someone please help this sweet 60 year old member that just wants to
          > magnify his
          > calling and make life a little easier for our members that are
          > submitting names.

          Jack, on your "E" partition create two folders, one for the IGI and one for
          the Addendum. Since you will probably also want to run FamilySearch on that
          computer, keep the folder names 8 characters or less. In each folder put ALL
          the data files from all the respective disks, do not subdivide anything out
          by disk. IOW, have all the data from the IGI CD's in the igi folder and all
          the Addendum files in the ad (dendum) folder without any internal sub
          folders. The paths will be something like E:\igi and E:\ad. Even though it
          is on the same computer you will do the network setup, and on the screen
          that shows the paths I believe there is a change button where you would then
          designate E:\igi and E:\ad as the locations.

          If you are going to run FamilySearch locally on the same computer (which I
          recommend), you would map the igi and ad folders as local drives (say igi as
          drive "N" and ad as drive "O"), THEN install FamilySearch (delete the PAS
          folder if it is currently installed so any config files get created
          properly). During the installation you can select the network setup (even
          though it is local) and specify "N" for the IGI and "O" for the Addendum,
          leaving "D" for everything else. To be consistent you might want to also
          have TRW use the mapped "N" and "O" paths instead of E:\igi and E:\ad.

          I would also strongly consider networking the two computers. If you have any
          open PCI slots you can often get network cards for under $10 each, then add
          a crossover cable and you are networked. Or do a direct serial connection if
          either one both does not accept an ethernet card.

          I can help walk you through by phone if we can schedule a time when we are
          both at our respective centers. I am at our center (541) 758-0857, ext 8 on
          Friday mornings but could also do a Wednesday evening, or even a Saturday,
          with advance planning.