Re: [fhctech] Re Jasper FHC Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
      From: "jessiehearle" <thearle560@...>
      To: <fhctech@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 2:18 PM
      Subject: [fhctech] Re Jasper FHC Question

      > We each signed on Sunday, and visited Familysearch and Ancestry.com
      > successfully at the same time. (note because of dialup connection,
      > the sites are slowloading with 2 computers attempting. Over a 40
      > minute period, the modem DID NOT HANG US UP. We signed off.
      >
      > We will get back up there as soon as we can, but during the week is
      > almost impossible (1 1/2-2 hr drive one-way), and try to replicate
      > the problem but it works fine for us everytime we go up there.
      >
      > Thanks for all the input. Maybe together we will get it straightened
      > out.
      >
      > Jessie & Bert Hearle
      > Bess Ala Stake

      Just like the car that never makes the same sound when the mechanic listens
      ;-)

      Could there be some user error, or maybe when a page is VERY slow to load
      they only *think* they have disconnected? Is there anyone in some other part
      of the building that could be using an extension phone line?

      If they really are getting disconnected there must be something different
      than when you test it out. Perhaps they should keep a log of the specific
      things (down to the exact key strokes and mouse clicks) they are doing when
      they get booted.
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
        >>> We each signed on Sunday, and visited Familysearch and Ancestry.com
        successfully at the same time. (note because of dialup connection, the
        sites are slowloading with 2 computers attempting. Over a 40 minute period,
        the modem DID NOT HANG US UP. We signed off.

        We will get back up there as soon as we can, but during the week is almost
        impossible (1 1/2-2 hr drive one-way), and try to replicate the problem but
        it works fine for us everytime we go up there. <<<

        I agree with Gary. The two most likely things are

        1) Something is going on with the phone line at certain times.

        2) User error.

        Keep in mind that it's possible for the wires between two lines to get
        crossed so that the use of one line interferes with another. The only way
        to find out if that's a problem is to use the phone line for a long voice
        call and note what kinds of noises are heard. A crossed line may connect up
        to someone who isn't even in the church building.