RE: [fhctech] Setting Up Staff and Patron Desktops

  • Russell Houlton
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5 6:26 PM
      >>> Go into Windows Explorer
      Open "Document & Settings"
      Go to "Administrator"
      Go to "Desktop"
      "Cut" all the program icons you want everyone to have
      Go to "All Users"
      Open "Desktop"
      "Paste" the icons you just cut.

      They will show up with all users <<<

      But you may need to reset the security of the icons or the users may not be
      able to use them. Easiest way is to right-click All Users\Desktop, select
      properties, select security tab, click Advanced, and then click "Reset
      permission on all child objects" down at the problem. Keep click OK until
      you've exited.

      - Russell -
      So many toys, so little time and so little money.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005

        Hello,
        this might be slightly of topic, but still FHC related.
        One of the people at our FHC insist that he can keep on adding files to a CD/R disk.
        In other words he can burn a file one day and the next day come back and add
        more files to that same CD.
        Note; we are not talking CD/RW here, but CD/R .
        We have NERO 6 running under W2000

        Am I out of touch with new developments or do the letters on the disk still reflect
        what was common in the old days (last year)  :-)
        I took a quick look in the NERO help file but because it was close to closing time we ran
        out of time.
        Hope some esteemed tech guru can explain this or refer me to a website which will give
        answers to this.

        Thank you
        Peter

        Friends come and go, but relatives tend to accumulate.

      • John Vilburn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005
          Yes, you can continue to add files to a CD-R. You can even replace existing files. But when you do so, the space taken up by the older file is not re-used. In other words, if I have a 650 MB CD-R and I burn a 100 MB file to it, then modify the file and burn it again, I can only do so 6 times. After that, there won't be enough space left on the CD-R. Note that it is possible to "Close" the CD-R so that no more files can be written, even if only a little bit of the CD-R has been used. But most CD burning programs don't do this unless you ask, since that is seldom what you want.

          John

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005

              Thanks to all that responded, that means I have to learn something new next week.
              I never came across this function before and have to find out how it works.

              Thanks again
              Peter

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 15, 2005
                I'm not a subject matter expert, but here's what I know (or think I know)

                As long as you don't close the disk (it may be call "disk at once") you can add another burn "session" to the CD.  You'll need a CD reader that can support "multi-session" to read it properly, but unless you've got an old machine (about Win95 vintage) you'll probably be OK.

                Now there's another way to save the files using UDF Packet writing.  With this program you can burn files to disk using drag and drop and Windows Explorer rather then setting up a session and hitting burn.  I believe you do need to format the disk prior to doing this and you'll have to have appropriate software to read it (maybe WInXP has this built-in, I don't know.  I don't think the older Windows did.  However if you loaded a CD Burner program it probably loaded itself then.)

                As far as CD/RW, I'm don't think you can truly erase (as in reclaiming the space) a part of the disk.  I think you have to treat it as a re-usable CD/R - use it until you don't need it anymore, erase it and then recycle it.  I could be wrong about that.  I will say that I've had more problems with CD/RW then anything else - perhaps due to a rotten batch I keep trying to use.  I may need to try a "real" brand instead of the store brand I have.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 15, 2005
                  We have one machine with an HP CD burner with HP software and what John says works for it.  If you add a different file, then all files are accessable; if you add the same file (for updating), the old one becomes inaccessable and the new one appears to have replace it.
                  Recently, we purchased CD burners that had Nero 6.0 OEM software included called "Nero Express."  My first test in attempting to add a new file made the new file accessable, but everything that was on the CD previously was not accessable.  (But that CD may have been originally made on the HP--I have yet to try it with one made using Nero Express software)
                  There is a check-box which allows you to leave the session open.
                  There is a button near the bottom labeled "Nero" which is supposed to bring up "Nero Burning Software" and when I click on that, it explains that we only have the "Nero Express" and if we want to use "Nero Burning" we will have to purchase the full retail version.  The help manual also explains that "Nero Express" is a smaller version (i.e. crippled) and that some of the features are not available.
                  When you do your learning-testing, make sure that what is already on the CD is expendible because you may lose it entirely.
                  Merlin Kitchen

                  On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:38:32 -1000 "John Vilburn" <john@...> writes:
                  Yes, you can continue to add files to a CD-R. You can even replace existing files. But when you do so, the space taken up by the older file is not re-used. In other words, if I have a 650 MB CD-R and I burn a 100 MB file to it, then modify the file and burn it again, I can only do so 6 times. After that, there won't be enough space left on the CD-R. Note that it is possible to "Close" the CD-R so that no more files can be written, even if only a little bit of the CD-R has been used. But most CD burning programs don't do this unless you ask, since that is seldom what you want.

                  John

                • Dana Repouille
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 15, 2005
                    Two of our eight computers have CD burners. One of these is the computer
                    that came with the microfilm scanner.

                    If a patron were to ask for my opinion, I would urge them to use a USB drive
                    instead of a CD-R or CD-RW. It is so much easier. Yes, I understand that the
                    USB drives are significantly more expensive, but if you are interested in
                    moving data rather than storing data, the USB drive is the way to go.

                    The biggest roadblock to using a USB drive is the software provided with the
                    microfilm scanner. I allows you to output image files to diskette, CD,
                    e-mail, or printer. It does NOT allow you to output the files to the hard
                    drive or any USB drive. You have to keep a dummy CD-R in the drive, tell the
                    software to output to CD, and then change the drive letter to your USB
                    drive. Grrr.

                    By the way, now that I know that CD-Rs can be reopened to add or change
                    files, I'll stop throwing out the old CD-Rs that only have a few files on
                    them. I've probably thrown out 150 of them over the past few years.

                    Dana
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 15, 2005
                      >>> Recently, we purchased CD burners that had Nero 6.0 OEM software included called "Nero Express."  My first test in attempting to add a new file made the new file accessable, but everything that was on the CD previously was not accessable.  <<<

                      That may be an option somewhere.  On one of the packages I seem to remember an option to keep the previous files.
                    • Marty Allred
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 17, 2005
                        Also note that audio CDs to be played in audio CD players (as opposed to
                        playing them on your computer) do have to be "closed" in order to work in your
                        audio CD player.

                        Otherwise, you usually don't have to close a CD in order to use it. I believe
                        there's even a free utility that lets you read files off a multi-session CD on
                        non-multi-session CD drives.

                        One other helpful hint regarding CDs... if you are having trouble reading a
                        burned CD, try to read it in a CD burner drive instead of on a read-only drive.
                        The reflected laser signal on a burned CD is not as strong as one from a
                        factory pressed CD, and burners generally have more sensitive readers for that
                        reason.

                        Marty Allred
                        Florence, SC

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250