software or floppie issue

  • Lynette Renee Escalle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi, once again, I have another problem to solve.

      Patrons and other workers, after utilizing windows temple ready program, go to the temple and the temple computer can not read the disk.
      They bring it back and we pop it back in and the file is there on the floppy disk.  At the temple their computer wants to reformat the disk and can not read or find any file at all.  So, are my new cheap floppy drives malfunctioning or do I need to reload temple ready windows version.
      We are running win2000.

      Thank you in advance
      Lynette Renée Escalle
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        1) Does the floppy read OK in other machines that you have access to?

        2) If you go to a DOS box and list the directory of the floppy, does it
        have a "serial number"? (It will show near the very top, before the files
        are listed)

        3) Do you know how the floppies where formatted? Are the store-bought and
        preformatted or were they scavenged ones that were re-formatted on another
        machine?

        4) Are these High Density (1.4MB) or Low Density (720KB)? Do they have a
        square hole on the right side of the disk as seen when inserting the disk
        into the drive? (It looks like the write protect hole, but doesn't have
        the slider to block the hole.)

        - Russell -
        So many toys, so little time and so little money.
      • Wally Wombat
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
          Dear Lynette,

          Some times the heads are slightly different position on different floppy
          drives. So they can be read in some machines and not in another.

          A computer teacher told me he once taught at a place where a student would
          do work on a specific computer. Then take the disk to another computer in
          another room. It gave that same errors you stated. So he formatted the disk.
          Did some work and saved it. Went back to the first room and found his
          original files but not his recent files. So they went back to the second
          computer and found his recent files.

          So they worked out two sets of magnetic tracks were laid down on the same
          floppy.

          I've experienced problems where floppies formatted at home cannot be read at
          work and vice versa. But the machines at work read floppies formatted at
          work. And vice versa for my home computer. I don't trust floppies for
          transferring data. Suggest if all else fails you use a CD or Stor Drive
          (thumb drive).

          Good luck. Hopefully one day we can email the work to the Temple. Or better
          still when Temple Ready is performed the work is transferred to the Churches
          system (via the Internet) ready for the work to be done in the Temple. Even
          placed in the Family File at the Temple of choice. Or alternatively in the
          Temple File if we don't plan to do the work ourselves.

          >From: "Lynette Renee Escalle" <escalle_renee@...>
          >To: "fhctech" <fhctech@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [fhctech] software or floppie issue
          >Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:37:06 -0600
          >
          >Hi, once again, I have another problem to solve.
          >
          >Patrons and other workers, after utilizing windows temple ready program, go
          >to the temple and the temple computer can not read the disk.
          >They bring it back and we pop it back in and the file is there on the
          >floppy disk. At the temple their computer wants to reformat the disk and
          >can not read or find any file at all. So, are my new cheap floppy drives
          >malfunctioning or do I need to reload temple ready windows version.
          >We are running win2000.
          >
          >Thank you in advance
          >Lynette Ren�e Escalle

          Open an Online Savings Account today & collect a bonus $30*!
          http://clk.atdmt.com/1DG/go/hsb005000991dg/direct/01/
        • Louis Puster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
            I agree with the others.  The alignment is different between the two drives.  Unless the temple is having a lot of trouble reading various patron disks, it is probably your drive that is out of whack.  (It is also possible, but less likely, that the problem is caused by crud built up on the heads.  A cleaning disk might fix it.)

            Showing the directory is not enough.  The computer has to be able to actually read the data.  Here is an easy way to test a floppy:
            1.  Open a command prompt window
            2.  Insert the floppy disk to be tested into A:
            3.  Type the command:   copy  a:\.  nul

            This obscure command will read all the files pointed to by the root directory and copy them to the bit bucket.  That means that they are read but not copied anywhere.  A TempleReady disk does not use subdirectories (folders), so that is good enough.  The computer will list the files as they are read, and will report any errors.  Test the suspect floppy on as many computers as are available.  You may find that more than one reports problems.  If so, the floppy disk can be realigned with special equipment, but it would probably be cheaper to just replace it, as they are inexpensive.

            FAQ:
            Why does it report only 1 file copied?
            Because "nul" is one of the DOS devices, along with CON and PRN.  All the files on the floppy are catenated end-to-end and form one long file that is sent to the device.

            Why can I simply use a dot instead of *.*?
            Because COPY is one of the commands that can accept a directory name and understand that it means all the files in the directory.  The dot means the current directory.  The backslash insures that is the root directory.

            Why does it finish much faster the second time I try it?
            Because the data is not being read from the floppy disk, it is coming out of a buffer in RAM (until the floppy is ejected).

            Why does the DOS box close before I can read the messages?
            Don't use Start, Run.  Open a command prompt window.

            Louis.
            Knoxville TN FHC.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
              Interesting. I'll bet this was a 720K (40 track) diskette formatted on a 1.44M (80 track) drive, which would use every other track. If the other drive was one track off, it would use the in-between tracks.

              Louis.
              Knoxville TN FHC.

              On 7/3/2004 at 6:47 PM Wally Wombat wrote:

              >A computer teacher told me he once taught at a place where a student would
              >do work on a specific computer. Then take the disk to another computer in
              >another room. It gave that same errors you stated. So he formatted the
              >disk.
              >Did some work and saved it. Went back to the first room and found his
              >original files but not his recent files. So they went back to the second
              >computer and found his recent files.
              >
              >So they worked out two sets of magnetic tracks were laid down on the same
              >floppy.
            • Russell Houlton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
                Never seen anything that drastic with 3.5" drives. But a drive that was
                aligned a half track off would probably have the same problem.

                What was miserable was the old 5.25" drives and going between the 360K and
                1.2M found in XT and AT machines. The drives wrote in different widths.
                You ended up having to have two different floppies. One to be written only
                by the 360K and one only by the 1.2M.