RE: [fhctech] Internet access trouble

  • Dennis Stewart
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 30, 2004
      I would be surprised if the static IP addresses were part of this problem.
      In my experience static IP addresses are easier to make work in a small
      network than DHCP. DHCP is normally used in larger networks because LAN
      administration is easier with DHCP than with static addressing. But static
      is really simpler in small networks such as those found in a typical FHC
      environment. With static addressing you always know what address each device
      is at and what each device is doing on the LAN. With DHCP it can be
      confusing because sometimes you can actually get competing devices
      attempting to do their "own DHCP thing".

      I have a couple of networks running Win2k with static IP addressing and have
      not found it to be a problem. Quite the contrary, I moved to static after
      having device wars under an unmanaged DHCP setup.

      Dennis Stewart
      Meridian East Stake FHC
      dstewart@...

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 3, 2004

        >>>  This means that it has two different IP addresses, one to access the ISP and another to access the internal LAN.  If you assign a static IP to that computer, it can interfere with its ability to communicate with your ISP. <<<

        IP configurations are set for each network interface.  That shouldn’t be a problem.  What could be a problem it making sure the master machine knows to forward and NAT things between the two networks when you’ve assigned a static IP to the local network.

        >>> If this works, the problem is lost packets.  <<<

        Hmmm.  Interesting idea.  I know that some TCP/IP packets have a “time to live”.  If they can’t reach their destination by a certain time, they are thrown away.  This is to keep stray packets from bouncing around from place to place all over the internet like a homeless person trying to find a destination that may no longer exist.  But with 4 computers on a single dial-up modem, I wonder if some of those packets can’t make it though before they die because of the congestion on the on the single 56K line.