RE: [fhctech] networking PRF

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004

      PRF is the main program that would have a hard time if the drives were not available when you started the computer.

      For the DOS family search, I use a batch file that maps the drive letters when I click the Icon and then removes the drive mappings when it is done.

      Most of the other programs can be installed using UNC paths (i.e. \\computername\sharedfoldername) that is not accessed until the program is executed.

      Answer to the PS question – you can install 61-65 and 71-80 as long as the Index files correspond. The end users will get a failure when they attempt to access data on 66-70, but I would go ahead and do it.

      I wonder if there is another center close to you that has their 66-70 discs that they could loan you.

      Rick Klemetson

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
        Thanks for the input, Rick. So, we could make sure that PRF is put on the
        1st computer turned on and the others on the others. That works.

        As for the missing CD's - We are hoping they is returned soon. They
        (61-80) had been dropped off at the library and within 48 hours before I
        got there to install it, someone had "borrowed" the one set. It's been
        three weeks and still not returned. A letter is going out to all staff
        about things disappearing in our library and we are hoping that will spur
        the "borrower" to return it. We have designated a cabinet for all supplies
        that only the Directors and myself will have keys to. This is not the
        first thing that has disappeared on us.

        That's a good idea. I will check with local centers to see if they have
        the CD's and installed on their hard drive so they won't need their CD's
        for a bit. We are hoping, though, that this resolves itself soon. I just
        feel bad that we have patrons that have asked if we have these next series
        and I've been delaying installing it until it got returned. Just didn't
        want to leave the others out for them to take the next ones.

        Patty
        At 02:02 AM 6/4/2004, you wrote:

        >PRF is the main program that would have a hard time if the drives were not
        >available when you started the computer.
        >
        >For the DOS family search, I use a batch file that maps the drive letters
        >when I click the Icon and then removes the drive mappings when it is done.
        >
        >Most of the other programs can be installed using UNC paths (i.e.
        ><file:///\\computername\sharedfoldername>\\computername\sharedfoldername)
        >that is not accessed until the program is executed.
        >
        >Answer to the PS question you can install 61-65 and 71-80 as long as the
        >Index files correspond. The end users will get a failure when they attempt
        >to access data on 66-70, but I would go ahead and do it.
        >
        >I wonder if there is another center close to you that has their 66-70
        >discs that they could loan you.
        >
        >Rick Klemetson
      • Dana Repouille
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
          I may be wrong, but I chose to *not* install any PRF master indexes. My logic is that all PRF indexes are searchable on FamilySearch.org, so I don't need to waste my time with the master index CDs.

          We have to train and retrain some patrons and workers to use one program (IE) to search the master index, and another program (PRF) to look at the data. They sometimes pop in a PRF CD and expect IE to use it.

          Dana

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
            Rick,

            Could you post the contents of that batch file? I run one at startup, but it would be more elegant to do so only when FamilySearch actually needed them. I assume the file creates the mappings, launches FS, then completes after FS is closed.

            At 12:31 AM 6/3/2004, you wrote:
            >You can have different resources on different computers however - the
            >Ancestral File data on one computer, Scottish Church records on another,
            >Freedman's on another, etc. I just do not know of a way to split up a single
            >resource.
            >
            >Gary Templeman

          • Rick Klemetson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004

              Gary,

              I just remembered that I use this on Win98 workstations. I don’t know if it will work on Windows 2000 or XP workstations.

              On the Windows 2000 and XP, I have to use the pas.exe as the icon and set the memory properties. I couldn’t set memory properties for a batch file. Hopefully, someone has a good solution for that.

              Rick

              @echo off

              cls

              p: