How to capture printer output to text file

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      I originally sent this the FHCNET-L mailing list in July, 1999

      Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:56:09 -0600
      To: FHCNET-L@...
      Subject: PRINTING TO FILE FROM TEMPLE READY RUNNING IN WINDOWS

      First an explanation to those unfamiliar with PRN2FILE -
      It is a DOS utility that redirects the printer output from the LPT port
      to a DOS text file.
      (I am copying the file to the FHCTECH web site tomorrow 11/1/99)

      We successful set it up in Windows to help in running large databases on

      our network through temple ready, so that we could get the temple report

      to enter the temple dates back into the database and identify some other

      errors without having 100+ pages of report. Since Temple ready is on
      our network, it becomes possible to run very large files through in a
      relatively shore period of time.

      A quick summary. In the c:\autoexec.bat file I added a line that
      redirected LPT2 to
      c:\temple.txt
      "c:\pas\prn2file c:\temple.txt /p2"
      I sent it to LPT2 so that it would not affect my other printing on
      Printer Port 1 (LPT1)

      Then I created several icons that helped in the administration. A
      critical point is that the data is continually added to the end of the
      temple.txt file every time you print. So you need to be able to copy
      the temple.txt file to the A drive and then delete the file so that the
      next time you print it will create a new file without any of the old
      data.

      I copied the c:\pas\pasetup.txt file to pasetup.org and pasetup.asc
      I edited the pasetup.asc to
      PRINT1TYPE=ASCII
      PRINT1FILE=ASCII.FSP
      PRINT1CON=LPT2 (Parallel)

      I then created icons to copy the desired pasetup file to pasetup.txt
      You could also setup two unique directories for PAS with the two
      configurations then use a separate icon for each one.

      Using this setup you could actually send a temple submission gedcom to
      someone over the internet, have them run it on their network, create a
      temple.sub file and temple.txt file and then send them back over the
      internet. You then copy the temple.sub file to a blank disk and send it
      to the temple. We've tested this to help those in outlying areas or
      those with major handicaps, but haven't sought permission to actually
      offer it publicly.

      Rick Klemetson