Re: [fhctech] RE: ****IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS****

  • Raymond T. Stein
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004
      Please have the courtesy to change your Subject Heading: this is NOT
      important information for all FHC.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004
        On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:15:06 -0800, Raymond T. Stein wrote:

        >Please have the courtesy to change your Subject Heading: this is NOT
        >important information for all FHC.

        Not being able to maintain a consistent connection to Ancestry.com is not important information for all FHCs?

        Current plans (and maybe someone from SL can correct this if I'm missing something here) is to connect all (at least in the US) centers to the internet over the next while. Ancestry.com provides a free account for all centers to use, so anything having to do with connectivity issues such as the one discussed here _should_be_ of importance to Center Tech folks.

        Tom
      • Tom Huber
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004
          On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:56:25 -1000, Russell Houlton wrote:

          >Yes, I remember the reports of that. I also remember that someone from
          >ancestry came over to a FHC and looked at that and knew it needed to be
          >fixed. I think the two were resolving to different servers. I do know the
          >two resolve to the same IP now. But I haven't checked FHC logins to see if
          >they are working OK both ways.

          >always access ancestry without having sign in, UNTIL a patron manually
          >types the address for ancestry in the URL bar. <<<
          >
          >This *might* be a separate problem- I noticed a few months ago that
          >ancestry.com's cookie handling wasn't 100% up to snuff. Basically, once the
          >cookie was set, we could return to http://www.ancestry.com without a
          >problem, but any visit to http://ancestry.com (without the "www") would not
          >recognize the cookie and we would have to re-log in.
          >
          >My experience was that our staff and patrons would often type
          >"http://ancestry.com", rather than "http://www.ancestry.com", causing a
          >"log out". Interestingly, this only happened on our FHC account- when I
          >tried this at home on my personal account, it worked no matter which way I
          >typed the url.

          I'm thinking that one solution is to provide a "favorites" link and train FHC patrons to use the link. That way, the link is consistently the same and should avoid the problem. I wasn't aware that the url was being entered in two different ways... Decidedly a problem with some of the later versions of IE as it tries to "correct" problems of this nature.

          Not too long ago Veritas (I think) set up a service (the more that I think about this, I probably have the wrong company) which would redirect mistyped urls to one of its pages. ICANN told them to stop it, which the company did. That same company (and the name has slipped me for the moment) wants to institute other things on the network exclusively under its control...

          Anyway, I strongly recommend that favorites be established for commonly used genealogy links and encourage users to select them, rather than to type the url into the browser. You may even entertain the idea of a separate folder window of internet shortcuts that have all the popular sites already listed.

          Tom
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004
            Tom Huber wrote:
            > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:15:06 -0800, Raymond T. Stein wrote:
            >
            >> Please have the courtesy to change your Subject Heading: this is NOT
            >> important information for all FHC.
            >
            > Not being able to maintain a consistent connection to Ancestry.com is
            > not important information for all FHCs?
            >
            > Current plans (and maybe someone from SL can correct this if I'm
            > missing something here) is to connect all (at least in the US)
            > centers to the internet over the next while. Ancestry.com provides a
            > free account for all centers to use, so anything having to do with
            > connectivity issues such as the one discussed here _should_be_ of
            > importance to Center Tech folks.
            >
            > Tom

            For the many centers that do not have an internet connection yet, the
            problem may be completely gone by the time they get it, so this would not be
            high on their current priority list. While the topic is one that has
            generated a lot of interest, I certainly do not consider it one that
            deserves the sense of urgency implied by the all caps. It does not seem to
            me to be a topic of significantly greater importance than *many* of the
            others.

            Gary Templeman
          • Russell Houlton
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2004
              Well, just head to your closest FHC. As far as I know they all suffer this
              problem to some degree. Mine comes in fits. I have found that if it hangs
              on initial connection if I don't use refresh it dies. No idea why that is
              unless Ancestry is updating the cookie at the time. They claim they aren't
              but so far their comments have been so far off that I don't think I'm
              talking to a tech.

              No, the cookies shouldn't expire, it's dated sometime way into the future.

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2004
                >>> I'm thinking that one solution is to provide a "favorites" link and
                train FHC patrons to use the link. <<<

                Favorites is easy. In fact it's already set up. If you figure out an
                effective way to train patrons, please tell me. My motto is that it's
                easier to train the computer then the patron. If I want to be hard core
                about it, I'll just remove the URL "part".

                While the typing of the link may have been a problem at one time, I'm not
                sure as it still is.

                >>> Not too long ago Veritas (I think) set up a service (the more that I
                think about this, I probably have the wrong company) which would redirect
                mistyped urls to one of its pages. <<<

                Veritas does backup software. I think you're thinking of Verisign.
              • slw
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2004
                  We may be among the minority of FHC's but we do not have a problem logging
                  on to Ancestry, unless:
                  1. Previous patron logged out despite what they have been told.
                  2. We clean the cookies off the machine.

                  We use WinU (http://www.bardon.com/winu.htm) as a shell for controlling what
                  patrons and staff can access, besides providing access control it sets up a
                  link (shortcut) to Ancestry.

                  Sterrie Weaver
                  FHC Newport News, VA

                  >accounts on the same machine. Each account will set its own cookie, <<<
                  >
                  >I've been aware of that. I only set up "patron" to use ancestry.com. As
                  >far as I know there's no interaction between users so if someone attempts
                  >go there under a different login it doesn't kill the patron's cookie for
                  >ancestry.

                  That is correct. I wish I was in your area. Your particular problem is
                  intriguing as I've never heard of it happening... other than there might be
                  one other possibility and that is cookie expiration (which can be controlled
                  by a setting in IE).

                  Tom

                  Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Russell Houlton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2004
                    >>> 1. Previous patron logged out despite what they have been told. <<<

                    How do they do that? When you login in as a FHC, that link disappears.