Outlook Express

  • merloutre
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
      Hate to be asking more questions again, but I finally got all our
      messages, address book, etc transfered from our old Win98 computer to
      the Win2000 system. But, I cannot get the new system to keep the
      password in Outlook Express.

      When I go to Tools/Account and select the ExeterFHC account we set
      up, then to Servers tab. Under Incoming Mail Server it shows the
      Account Name and a blank for password. I type in the password and
      click on the Remember Password box. Then, select Apply at the
      bottom, then OK. Close OE and when open again it wants the password
      again.

      I also want to set it up as the old one where when you click on the
      OE icon in the tray, it asks for the password. Right now, no matter
      what I do, it always opens OE in the background and then asks for our
      server password not the identity password.

      We also have some folders in the address book of librarians and then
      alpha groups of our patrons. I can't find a way to transfer those
      folders over. I imported the address book from the old computer, but
      these did not come with it.

      I use Eudora at home and am not that familiar with OE. I've been
      round and round with this for the last 1 1/2 hours and am quitting.

      Thanks for any help. Sorry to be a pain again.

      Patty
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
        >>> I cannot get the new system to keep the password in Outlook Express. <<<

        What user are you logged in as on in Windows? It sticks in my mind that
        under Win9x, OE won't save the password if the current user had no password.
        (Or was it if you weren't logged in as a user? - I forget).

        There's also the possibility that for some reason that user doesn't have
        enough rights to update that one file. You might try elevating that user to
        admin privilege long enough to save the password and see if that solves the
        problem.

        >>> I also want to set it up as the old one where when you click on the
        OE icon in the tray, it asks for the password. Right now, no matter
        what I do, it always opens OE in the background and then asks for our
        server password not the identity password. <<<

        As far as I know, OE only deals in server passwords. I suggest you check
        the properties of the old icon to see what had been set up.

        >>> We also have some folders in the address book of librarians and then
        alpha groups of our patrons. I can't find a way to transfer those
        folders over. I imported the address book from the old computer, but
        these did not come with it. <<<

        Don't know why that wouldn't work. However, OE is sensitive to the user
        that's logged in at the Windows level. It tries to keep settings for each
        use separately, so any export would probably only export that user's address
        book. Likewise any import on the Win2000 side would import into that user
        only and not be visible to other users on the same machine.
      • Patty Gaddis
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2004
          At 12:01 AM 2/29/2004, you wrote:
          >What user are you logged in as on in Windows? It sticks in my mind that
          >under Win9x, OE won't save the password if the current user had no password.
          >(Or was it if you weren't logged in as a user? - I forget).
          >
          >There's also the possibility that for some reason that user doesn't have
          >enough rights to update that one file. You might try elevating that user to
          >admin privilege long enough to save the password and see if that solves the
          >problem.
          I'm on as the Admin, but with no password or a space or something. We only
          have the one signon on the Win2000 computer because of how it was first set
          up. The old director's son set it up when I wasn't there.

          But, I will check on the rights of the person to see if that changes things.

          >As far as I know, OE only deals in server passwords. I suggest you check
          >the properties of the old icon to see what had been set up.

          Shall do.

          >Don't know why that wouldn't work. However, OE is sensitive to the user
          >that's logged in at the Windows level. It tries to keep settings for each
          >use separately, so any export would probably only export that user's address
          >book. Likewise any import on the Win2000 side would import into that user
          >only and not be visible to other users on the same machine.
          Hmmm, will have to sort through this one. All the computers at our center
          have only one signon. (Although, once we get the Win2000 CD's that will be
          changed.) So, I would think it would have gone over then.

          Might just be easier to recreate the folders.
          Patty