RE: [fhctech] cable length for network

  • Cottrell, Shogo
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10 3:59 PM
      The maximum length for most Cat5 Ethernet runs is 100 meters or 328 feet.  Remember, that's for the entire length of the cable, not straight line distance between two points.  If the cable is longer than 100 meters, it will not work.

      I have not personally tried a run close to that length, but I would assume that you would have significant signal degradation even if you are several feet short of the limit and there would probably be no guarantee that it would work well.

      Regards,
      Shogo Cottrell
      Cocoa Florida FHC

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10 7:46 PM
        Hello Shogo,

        Thanks for the input. Since we had a class of people waiting to be shown
        something, we moved the whole works back to the Young Women's room next to
        the library and ran our 100' cable to connect.

        The distance is what I suspected was our problem. Our guy tells me he used
        324' to connect the firewall box in the FHC to the computer in the High
        Council Room.

        I thought I'd seen this discussed here before, but I did a search of Cat 5,
        Cat5, network, cable, length and don't get the messages coming up.

        I thought there was a different solution to running a connection across the
        church. Our building is not the standard ward building. We had an
        addition put onto our building a few years ago. The Library and the High
        Council Room are both on the back end of our building pretty much on the
        mirror side of each other. The cable we ran this week does not go directly
        across the building because of the "rafters" situation. There is a gym
        between the two. So, we ran it up towards the middle of the building up
        the hallway and then across the front end of the gym, behind the chapel,
        then down the hall again and into the High Council room. We can see if we
        can get a smaller, younger member to run the wire directly across the
        building to shorten this distance. Maybe that's all we need to do.

        If that doesn't work, do we have any other options? We have our internet
        connection on the far outside wall of the library to a DSL line. We have
        installed the projector on a brace in the ceiling of the High Council room
        and had hoped to do training in there with the computer/internet/projector.

        I'm not a real guru on the wiring stuff. So, any suggestions welcome. Our
        building guy was not aware of the length of cable problem either. I had
        just remembered reading here about it a while back. So, we both need help
        here.

        Thanks.
        Patty

        At 06:59 PM 2/10/2004, you wrote:
        >The maximum length for most Cat5 Ethernet runs is 100 meters or 328
        >feet. Remember, that's for the entire length of the cable, not straight
        >line distance between two points. If the cable is longer than 100 meters,
        >it will not work.
        >
        >I have not personally tried a run close to that length, but I would assume
        >that you would have significant signal degradation even if you are several
        >feet short of the limit and there would probably be no guarantee that it
        >would work well.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Shogo Cottrell
        >Cocoa Florida FHC
      • Russell Houlton
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11 12:20 AM
          I believe the length limit is between active devices. You could put a
          "repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
          (Probably easier to find a small hub).

          There could be an issue of noise. If the wire was run alongside electrical
          wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function. Also, if you are
          pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
          network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.

          You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit. If the remote
          site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
          speed differences will be inconsequential.

          Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
        • Patty Gaddis
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11 4:27 AM
            Thank you, Russell. I'll pass this on to our guy running the wires.

            We will want the line to access the network in the other room if we use one
            of the non-server computers. Last night we were using the server
            computer. But, there is another one that would be easier to get out and
            unplugged from the system.

            Patty
            At 03:20 AM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
            >I believe the length limit is between active devices. You could put a
            >"repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
            >(Probably easier to find a small hub).
            >
            >There could be an issue of noise. If the wire was run alongside electrical
            >wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function. Also, if you are
            >pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
            >network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.
            >
            >You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit. If the remote
            >site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
            >speed differences will be inconsequential.
            >
            >Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
            >
            >"Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>
          • Gary Tarbet
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11 4:48 AM

              Patty,

              Have been watching this thread.  If you have a power outlet ,or can install one, along the route just go buy a small 10/100MB 4 port switch.  Should be around $10.  Split the cable somewhere near the middle and have your cable person install new connectors on the two ends.  Plug in the switch and the two cables and you should be fine.  Just make sure you buy a switch which is about all they sell these days.  What I am saying is don’t go cheap and take an old hub someone has laying around unless it also plugs into an outlet.  You need the electrical connection to let the smarts in the switch regenerate the signal and put it back out over the wire.  You may want to consider some type of surge protection for the switch as it probably will not be convenient to get up and replace it if it takes a hit.

              GaryT

              Ashburn VA

              At 03:20 AM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
              >I believe the length limit is between active devices.  You could put a
              >"repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
              >(Probably easier to find a small hub).
              >
              >There could be an issue of noise.  If the wire was run alongside electrical
              >wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function.  Also, if you are
              >pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
              >network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.
              >
              >You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit.  If the remote
              >site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
              >speed differences will be inconsequential.
              >
              >Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
              >
              >"Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>

            • Patty Gaddis
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11 6:00 PM
                Thanks, Gary. I shall pass this information on.

                Patty

                <gtarbet@...>