cable length for network

  • merloutre
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
      Help. We are trying to run our network across the church building
      about 325' with a CAT 5 network cable. We can connect to the
      internet with our computers next to the firewall box, but the
      computer on the other side of the building will not get a connection.

      Cables have been checked and all polarities are correct. Cable
      buzzes out fine.

      Is it possibly the length of the cable causing our problem?

      Any ideas.

      Patty
    • Cottrell, Shogo
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
        The maximum length for most Cat5 Ethernet runs is 100 meters or 328 feet.  Remember, that's for the entire length of the cable, not straight line distance between two points.  If the cable is longer than 100 meters, it will not work.

        I have not personally tried a run close to that length, but I would assume that you would have significant signal degradation even if you are several feet short of the limit and there would probably be no guarantee that it would work well.

        Regards,
        Shogo Cottrell
        Cocoa Florida FHC

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
          Hello Shogo,

          Thanks for the input. Since we had a class of people waiting to be shown
          something, we moved the whole works back to the Young Women's room next to
          the library and ran our 100' cable to connect.

          The distance is what I suspected was our problem. Our guy tells me he used
          324' to connect the firewall box in the FHC to the computer in the High
          Council Room.

          I thought I'd seen this discussed here before, but I did a search of Cat 5,
          Cat5, network, cable, length and don't get the messages coming up.

          I thought there was a different solution to running a connection across the
          church. Our building is not the standard ward building. We had an
          addition put onto our building a few years ago. The Library and the High
          Council Room are both on the back end of our building pretty much on the
          mirror side of each other. The cable we ran this week does not go directly
          across the building because of the "rafters" situation. There is a gym
          between the two. So, we ran it up towards the middle of the building up
          the hallway and then across the front end of the gym, behind the chapel,
          then down the hall again and into the High Council room. We can see if we
          can get a smaller, younger member to run the wire directly across the
          building to shorten this distance. Maybe that's all we need to do.

          If that doesn't work, do we have any other options? We have our internet
          connection on the far outside wall of the library to a DSL line. We have
          installed the projector on a brace in the ceiling of the High Council room
          and had hoped to do training in there with the computer/internet/projector.

          I'm not a real guru on the wiring stuff. So, any suggestions welcome. Our
          building guy was not aware of the length of cable problem either. I had
          just remembered reading here about it a while back. So, we both need help
          here.

          Thanks.
          Patty

          At 06:59 PM 2/10/2004, you wrote:
          >The maximum length for most Cat5 Ethernet runs is 100 meters or 328
          >feet. Remember, that's for the entire length of the cable, not straight
          >line distance between two points. If the cable is longer than 100 meters,
          >it will not work.
          >
          >I have not personally tried a run close to that length, but I would assume
          >that you would have significant signal degradation even if you are several
          >feet short of the limit and there would probably be no guarantee that it
          >would work well.
          >
          >Regards,
          >Shogo Cottrell
          >Cocoa Florida FHC
        • Russell Houlton
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
            I believe the length limit is between active devices. You could put a
            "repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
            (Probably easier to find a small hub).

            There could be an issue of noise. If the wire was run alongside electrical
            wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function. Also, if you are
            pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
            network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.

            You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit. If the remote
            site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
            speed differences will be inconsequential.

            Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
          • Patty Gaddis
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
              Thank you, Russell. I'll pass this on to our guy running the wires.

              We will want the line to access the network in the other room if we use one
              of the non-server computers. Last night we were using the server
              computer. But, there is another one that would be easier to get out and
              unplugged from the system.

              Patty
              At 03:20 AM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
              >I believe the length limit is between active devices. You could put a
              >"repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
              >(Probably easier to find a small hub).
              >
              >There could be an issue of noise. If the wire was run alongside electrical
              >wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function. Also, if you are
              >pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
              >network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.
              >
              >You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit. If the remote
              >site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
              >speed differences will be inconsequential.
              >
              >Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
              >
              >"Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>
            • Gary Tarbet
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004

                Patty,

                Have been watching this thread.  If you have a power outlet ,or can install one, along the route just go buy a small 10/100MB 4 port switch.  Should be around $10.  Split the cable somewhere near the middle and have your cable person install new connectors on the two ends.  Plug in the switch and the two cables and you should be fine.  Just make sure you buy a switch which is about all they sell these days.  What I am saying is don’t go cheap and take an old hub someone has laying around unless it also plugs into an outlet.  You need the electrical connection to let the smarts in the switch regenerate the signal and put it back out over the wire.  You may want to consider some type of surge protection for the switch as it probably will not be convenient to get up and replace it if it takes a hit.

                GaryT

                Ashburn VA

                At 03:20 AM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
                >I believe the length limit is between active devices.  You could put a
                >"repeater" along the line so the total length wouldn't be that long.
                >(Probably easier to find a small hub).
                >
                >There could be an issue of noise.  If the wire was run alongside electrical
                >wires, it could be picking up too much noise to function.  Also, if you are
                >pushing the limits of wire length, you may need "the good stuff" for the
                >network card and hub/switch that will be driving it.
                >
                >You might also see of you can run 10Mbit instead of 100MBit.  If the remote
                >site is wanting to go to the internet instead of a server in the FHC, the
                >speed differences will be inconsequential.
                >
                >Over all, I think you're better off finding a shorter route.
                >
                >"Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>

              • Patty Gaddis
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
                  Thanks, Gary. I shall pass this information on.

                  Patty

                  <gtarbet@...>