Re: [fhctech] Popup ads

  • James W Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
      Find a copy of Spybot Search and Destroy, which will
      tell you what adware and spyware got installed by the
      websites. I've heard it works better than AdAware.

      I've hit sites that throw popup after popup at home,
      and usually shutting down the computer should normally
      cut this stuff out. However, the sales/auction sites
      could be new ones and since eBay, among some others,
      is established, the newcomers (he/she could have gone
      to these) have to scrap for every dime they can earn,
      hence the popups.

      Another option while you are trying to find it. (could
      someone post a download location?) is to go to Google
      and get the Google Toolbar, which is said to block
      popups. The added bonus is that you can search Google
      from anywhere, no matter what screen you are using,
      and it can be especially useful for genealogy if you
      know the right search tips!

      --- Len Ingermanson <len438@...> wrote:
      > I am having a problem with pop up ads on one of our
      > seven computers.
      > Apparently a patron has used the internet at our
      > FHC to view websites
      > concerning sales, auctions and other sites for value
      > sales. And in
      > doing so had downloaded some programs on the
      > computer to more easily
      > access these sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember
      > the names of these
      > programs, I unistalled all of them. However, I
      > think because of these
      > programs and the sites that were visited, this
      > particular computer
      > receives pop up as after pop up ad to the extent
      > that we are unable to
      > use the computer. The screen will be covered with
      > pop up ads, some of
      > which will not go away unless typing in
      > Control-Alt-Delete or restarting
      > the computer. We are running Win98SE and have a DSL
      > internet
      > connection. The pop up ads even pop up without
      > opening Internet
      > Explorer. None of the other six computers have this
      > problem.
      > I ran AdAware and found items in the registry, which
      > I quarantined and
      > deleted, I deleted the cookies, history, and temp
      > files, but still have
      > the same problem. Would formating the hard drive
      > and reinstalling all
      > the programs resolve the problem? Are there any
      > other suggestions? I
      > would appreciate any assistance.
      > Thamks, Len

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
        >>> Another option while you are trying to find it. (could
        someone post a download location?) is to go to Google
        and get the Google Toolbar, which is said to block
        popups. <<<

        If you're looking for the Google toolbar, it can be found at
        http://toolbar.google.com/ The toolbar should block most popups from http
        code, but this sounds like something that's become installed. The toolbar
        may be too little too late.

        Uhhhhh, dumb question: Are these pop-ups "web page" like pop-ups or
        "system messages" type pop-ups? Some spammers are using the Windows
        message system to send pop-up spam. The Windows messenger's intent was to
        allow admins to send messages to the users like "Server going down in 5
        minutes - save your work". But if you don't have a properly setup
        firewall, spammers can trigger their own message. The hallmark of this
        kind of spam is a ordinary looking windows box. It looks like a message
        from the system except your computer isn't likely to be telling you how to
        get cheap drugs....<g>

        The reason I ask is that we have to make sure we understand the problem
        we're fighting. Can't fix a car by tinkering with the engine if it's the
        transmission that's shot.

        - Russell -
      • James W Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
          I've heard they are working on a patch to take care of
          the type of 'system admin' message spam that's coming
          around. Additionally, it's my understanding that
          Microsoft has sued the spammer or spammers involved.

          Microsoft should have some info on their support pages
          regarding the IM spam and the 'administrative message'
          spam.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
            They are working on making fixing it more user friendly and probably
            turning the feature off by default for home users.

            Here is the details in easy to understand language and a quick fix for the
            problem: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

            Since this is a tech list, if you've never heard of grc before, go and
            explore the site. There are many useful tools and information on that
            site. Steve Gibson is one of the guy you think of when you think of the
            original term "hacker" - someone who plays around to learn.

            - Russell -