Popup ads

  • Len Ingermanson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
      I am having a problem with pop up ads on one of our seven computers.
      Apparently a patron has used the internet at our FHC to view websites
      concerning sales, auctions and other sites for value sales. And in
      doing so had downloaded some programs on the computer to more easily
      access these sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of these
      programs, I unistalled all of them. However, I think because of these
      programs and the sites that were visited, this particular computer
      receives pop up as after pop up ad to the extent that we are unable to
      use the computer. The screen will be covered with pop up ads, some of
      which will not go away unless typing in Control-Alt-Delete or restarting
      the computer. We are running Win98SE and have a DSL internet
      connection. The pop up ads even pop up without opening Internet
      Explorer. None of the other six computers have this problem.
      I ran AdAware and found items in the registry, which I quarantined and
      deleted, I deleted the cookies, history, and temp files, but still have
      the same problem. Would formating the hard drive and reinstalling all
      the programs resolve the problem? Are there any other suggestions? I
      would appreciate any assistance.
      Thamks, Len
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
        >>> I ran AdAware and found items in the registry, which I quarantined and
        deleted, I deleted the cookies, history, and temp files, but still have
        the same problem. <<<

        Try Spybot. Just do a google search on the name. It may find something
        that the other missed. While you may have to be administrator to install,
        you may need to be "patron" to scan since some program only seem to scan
        the current user's settings and not the whole machine.

        - Russell -
      • Richard N Simonsen
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
          I would suggest running Adaware and Spybot. These are free programs that you
          can download from the internet and they remove the resident programs that
          cause a lot of the pop ups. Also you can go and remove the cookies files.

          Len Ingermanson wrote:

          > I am having a problem with pop up ads on one of our seven computers.
          > Apparently a patron has used the internet at our FHC to view websites
          > concerning sales, auctions and other sites for value sales. And in
          > doing so had downloaded some programs on the computer to more easily
          > access these sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of these
          > programs, I unistalled all of them. However, I think because of these
          > programs and the sites that were visited, this particular computer
          > receives pop up as after pop up ad to the extent that we are unable to
          > use the computer. The screen will be covered with pop up ads, some of
          > which will not go away unless typing in Control-Alt-Delete or restarting
          > the computer. We are running Win98SE and have a DSL internet
          > connection. The pop up ads even pop up without opening Internet
          > Explorer. None of the other six computers have this problem.
          > I ran AdAware and found items in the registry, which I quarantined and
          > deleted, I deleted the cookies, history, and temp files, but still have
          > the same problem. Would formating the hard drive and reinstalling all
          > the programs resolve the problem? Are there any other suggestions? I
          > would appreciate any assistance.
          > Thamks, Len

        • Rick Klemetson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
            The problem is most likely changes to the registry.
            As mention before, try SPYBOT - Search & Destroy 1.2
            Download spybot at the link below. Be sure to update it after you install it, then have it check your computer.

            Rick Klemetson
          • James W Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
              Find a copy of Spybot Search and Destroy, which will
              tell you what adware and spyware got installed by the
              websites. I've heard it works better than AdAware.

              I've hit sites that throw popup after popup at home,
              and usually shutting down the computer should normally
              cut this stuff out. However, the sales/auction sites
              could be new ones and since eBay, among some others,
              is established, the newcomers (he/she could have gone
              to these) have to scrap for every dime they can earn,
              hence the popups.

              Another option while you are trying to find it. (could
              someone post a download location?) is to go to Google
              and get the Google Toolbar, which is said to block
              popups. The added bonus is that you can search Google
              from anywhere, no matter what screen you are using,
              and it can be especially useful for genealogy if you
              know the right search tips!

              --- Len Ingermanson <len438@...> wrote:
              > I am having a problem with pop up ads on one of our
              > seven computers.
              > Apparently a patron has used the internet at our
              > FHC to view websites
              > concerning sales, auctions and other sites for value
              > sales. And in
              > doing so had downloaded some programs on the
              > computer to more easily
              > access these sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember
              > the names of these
              > programs, I unistalled all of them. However, I
              > think because of these
              > programs and the sites that were visited, this
              > particular computer
              > receives pop up as after pop up ad to the extent
              > that we are unable to
              > use the computer. The screen will be covered with
              > pop up ads, some of
              > which will not go away unless typing in
              > Control-Alt-Delete or restarting
              > the computer. We are running Win98SE and have a DSL
              > internet
              > connection. The pop up ads even pop up without
              > opening Internet
              > Explorer. None of the other six computers have this
              > problem.
              > I ran AdAware and found items in the registry, which
              > I quarantined and
              > deleted, I deleted the cookies, history, and temp
              > files, but still have
              > the same problem. Would formating the hard drive
              > and reinstalling all
              > the programs resolve the problem? Are there any
              > other suggestions? I
              > would appreciate any assistance.
              > Thamks, Len

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • Russell Houlton
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                >>> Another option while you are trying to find it. (could
                someone post a download location?) is to go to Google
                and get the Google Toolbar, which is said to block
                popups. <<<

                If you're looking for the Google toolbar, it can be found at
                http://toolbar.google.com/ The toolbar should block most popups from http
                code, but this sounds like something that's become installed. The toolbar
                may be too little too late.

                Uhhhhh, dumb question: Are these pop-ups "web page" like pop-ups or
                "system messages" type pop-ups? Some spammers are using the Windows
                message system to send pop-up spam. The Windows messenger's intent was to
                allow admins to send messages to the users like "Server going down in 5
                minutes - save your work". But if you don't have a properly setup
                firewall, spammers can trigger their own message. The hallmark of this
                kind of spam is a ordinary looking windows box. It looks like a message
                from the system except your computer isn't likely to be telling you how to
                get cheap drugs....<g>

                The reason I ask is that we have to make sure we understand the problem
                we're fighting. Can't fix a car by tinkering with the engine if it's the
                transmission that's shot.

                - Russell -
              • James W Anderson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
                  I've heard they are working on a patch to take care of
                  the type of 'system admin' message spam that's coming
                  around. Additionally, it's my understanding that
                  Microsoft has sued the spammer or spammers involved.

                  Microsoft should have some info on their support pages
                  regarding the IM spam and the 'administrative message'
                  spam.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
                    They are working on making fixing it more user friendly and probably
                    turning the feature off by default for home users.

                    Here is the details in easy to understand language and a quick fix for the
                    problem: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

                    Since this is a tech list, if you've never heard of grc before, go and
                    explore the site. There are many useful tools and information on that
                    site. Steve Gibson is one of the guy you think of when you think of the
                    original term "hacker" - someone who plays around to learn.

                    - Russell -