Windows 2000 Image

  • Tim Rosenlof
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      I've installed 2000, have it pretty much tweaked and locked down, and would
      like to know image that disk and deploy it on our other workstations which
      currently are using WindowsME.

      Any thoughts/suggestions as which software to use to clone/image ?
      How about any problems I can expect that will need to be addressed ? SID
      troubles, ect..

      I have a few boxes that have no os on them at all right now. Do they need a
      os installed before I can put the image on them ? Google'ing around it seems
      that some of the imaging software can make not only the image, but make it a
      bootable cd.

      Thanks,
      Tim Rosenlof
      Lehi FHC
    • Bill Truscott
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        Tim,

        You can use Norton Ghost to image the disk. You can just take the hard drive out of the other machines and plug it in place of your CD ROM drive. Then run the boot disk that you make with Ghost and it will image the new hard drive just like the old one. It's a great program. I use it for upgrading the hard drives in the ward and branch computers here in the Joliet, Illinois Stake.

        Bill Truscott
        1810 Lobelia Lane
        Plainfield, IL. 60544
        815-577-8102 (home)
        815-341-4945 (cell)
        wjtruscott@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
          Tim,
          Are all your computers identical in chipset and CPU? I have had problems
          trying to copy an image from one chipset to another. When Windows 2000 wakes
          up in a strange body, it frequently fails to boot.

          Dana

          > I've installed 2000, have it pretty much tweaked and locked down, and
          would
          > like to know image that disk and deploy it on our other workstations which
          > currently are using WindowsME.
          >
          > Any thoughts/suggestions as which software to use to clone/image ?
          > How about any problems I can expect that will need to be addressed ? SID
          > troubles, ect..
          >
          > I have a few boxes that have no os on them at all right now. Do they need
          > os installed before I can put the image on them ? Google'ing around it
          seems
          > that some of the imaging software can make not only the image, but make it
          > bootable cd.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tim Rosenlof
          > Lehi FHC

        • Russell Houlton
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
            If you look around you may be able to find Norton Ghost on a good sale.
            Especilly if you buy an older version. I see Egghead has Ghost 2002 for
            $30. Other suplus sites may do better.

            Keep in mind that your machines need to have identical motherboards for this
            to work.

            roups.yahoo.com]On Behalf Of Tim Rosenlof
            Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 4:57 AM
            To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com