RE: [fhctech] protect your address book

  • Vern Taylor
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2003
      Thanks for clearing that one up.
      vern.

      --- John Vilburn <john@...> wrote:
      > This really doesn't work. For an explanation, go to
      > http://www.arachnophiliac.com/hoax/Outlook_Trick.htm
      >
      > The best policy is to get an anti-virus program and keep it
      > updated.
      >
      > John

      =====
      IBSSG, Editor of the Stockton CA Family History newsletter. Free subs. <FHCnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

      There once was a researcher named Vern
      He found many ancestors, but learned
      For every one you find
      It's really unkind
      There's still two more to discern

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Mark E. Gower
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2003
        If you really want to protect your address book as well as your whole
        computer-- get a firewall program. I use ZoneAlarm Pro, but there is a
        free version that is simple to use. The address is http://zonelabs.com/
        click on the "Download & Buy" then on "ZoneAlarm" under the Zone Labs
        Security Products and Information. I have actually received viruses but
        it quarantines them and I never know about it. Later the Anti-Virus will
        delete is E-mail. It works great even if you have a hardware firewall.

        Mark E. Gower
        Mesa, Arizona, USA
      • Mike Fauber
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003
          I doubt seriously that a virus would wait around to discover if a mail message was delivered or not.  I think it would just ramdomly select several addresses ( if not all ) and send one message to the list or send the message to everyone on the list in rapid fire.  It can take from minutes to hours or more for a message to bounce back due to an incorrect address....
        • Russell Houlton
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003
            Since some use a forged "from" address, it may not bounce back to you.