Re: [fhctech] HP4 laserjet error msg #22

  • Vern Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
      Thanks for the responces. We'll check on it.
      vern

      --- Vern Taylor <stanleyscribe@...> wrote:
      > What is the meaning of the error 22 message?
      > thanks,
      > Vern Taylor
      > Stockton, CA FHC

      =====
      IBSSG, Editor of the Stockton CA Family History newsletter. Free subs. <FHCnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

      There once was a researcher named Vern
      He found many ancestors, but learned
      For every one you find
      It's really unkind
      There's still two more to discern

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
        How is the printer connected to all these computers? As a shared printer on
        one computer? A print-share box? Manual switch?

        Based on Paula's post, you might look at how it's connected.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
          The printer is on Lpt1. It started out on a win98 PC1 then we moved it to a
          winME PC5. These errors were from attachment to the win98 Server. It is
          then shared to the network.
          vern.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
            On some printers the printer port is on a plug-in card. You need to make
            sure that card is security plugged into the printer. You might also try
            another printer cable.

            What is the history of this setup? Did it work or is this a new setup? Was
            something changed when it failed?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2003
              Even though this used to work, I think it might have been the driver
              changes to get PAF 5.2 to print correctly that made it stop working.
              Now I've traded one set of problems for some new ones.
              I got a JetDirect external network print spooler donated and have
              installed the software on our print server PC. When this software installs
              it detects the JetDirect device and installs the HPLaserJet4 printer driver
              by my choice. It does not allow any printing by DOS programs. But,
              I can now on the cliet PCs choose the //server/hplaserjet4 printer as a
              network printer and capture the Lpt1 printer port.
              Ancestral File is printing fine.
              PAF 5.2 just spits out pages of a few garbage characters.

              Since I reused the previous HPLaserjet4 files I had on the HD, I don't
              know if trying to update the printer driver files is going to help any, but
              seems like something I will have to try.
              I also am still learning about how to get in and configure the JetDirect
              device. Anyone else using one of these?
              Will know more next week.

              Vern
              Stockton FHC

              =====

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2003
                >>> PAF 5.2 just spits out pages of a few garbage characters. <<<

                Interesting. PAF uses the Windows printer so I'd expect it to work fine.
                Here's some ideas:

                - Make sure you have the right printer selected as the default printer.
                - Open up that printer and check to see that you have the correct printer
                driver selected. Pay close attention to the type. There is a big
                difference between HP4 and "HP4 PS" Since I doubt if you have any
                PostScript module installed, make sure you're not using a PS driver.
                - Test the printer from the printer driver's "Test Print".
                - Try resetting the printer between jobs. Perhaps something's leaving the
                printer in a strange mode.