Re: [fhctech] newer printers

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5, 2003
      FamilySearch is the main DOS program still in significant usage. The
      current TempleReady program is a Windows program that accesses the DOS
      IGI/OI data files so we know they are accessable. If some enterprising
      person (or the Church) wrote a Windows interface to replace FS, a whole
      bunch of problems would be eliminated.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
        >>> If some enterprising
        person (or the Church) wrote a Windows interface to replace FS, a whole
        bunch of problems would be eliminated. <<<

        The only thing left would be old PAF programs. You never know when a patron
        will bring in an old PAF2 backup disk.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
          Which is why I specified FS as the *main* program with *significant* usage.
          I think eventually we will reach a point where rather than having local
          units maintain obosolete, unsupported hardware, the occasional patron that
          needs to pull data off an old PAF program will need to mail it to SL for
          conversion. Most auto parts stores do not keep parts in stock for Model T's
          anymore, but they still can be found at dedicated sites for classic cars.
          The same principle of consolidation will need to take place eventually, as
          the local units do not have the resources to cover the expanding range of
          options.

          > person (or the Church) wrote a Windows interface to replace FS, a whole
          > bunch of problems would be eliminated. <<<
          >
          > The only thing left would be old PAF programs. You never know when a
          patron
          > will bring in an old PAF2 backup disk.

        • Russell Houlton
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
            >>> I think eventually we will reach a point where rather than having local
            units maintain obsolete, unsupported hardware, ... <<<

            In my area it seems that obsolete equipment finds it's second life in a FHC.
            <grin>

            I'll probably have DOS compatibility until the last machine that's set up
            that way dies, or the director would rather have a "full function" machine
            in that last operating position.
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
              I know that "eventually" can be a long time in the Church. Just last year
              we dumped the remaining 386's that we had floating around.