MSVCRT and VSMON

  • Dana A. Repouille
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2003
      I think I have identified the reason for consistent shutdown errors in VSMON
      (part of ZoneAlarm) at BFF7B9A6.

      I started with a clean hard drive, installed Win98SE from the church CD, and
      then all the service packs from WindowsUpdate. Then I installed CIMA. Then
      the latest version of ZoneAlarm from their web site.

      Everything worked perfectly until I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1,
      again directly from their web site. During some shutdowns, I get a 0E fatal
      error in KERNEL32.DLL. Other times I get a fatal error in VSMON. After
      researching 0167:BFF7B9A6, I believe VSMON and Acrobat rely on incompatible
      versions of MSVCRT.DLL or possibly MSVCP60.DLL.

      The Acrobat 5.1 install placed the 7/15/2000 version of MSVCRT.DLL, and the
      8/29/2000 version of MSVCP60.DLL. After that, VSMON started to abort during
      shutdown.

      Any help out there?
      Thanks,
      Dana
    • Louis Puster
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6, 2003
        1. Try un-installing and re-installing ZoneAlarm.
        2. Were the modules replaced with different versions?
        3. See if the problem moves to Adobe Acrobat.
        4. Try installing earlier versions of Adobe Acrobat.
        5. Contact the vendors.

        Louis.
        Knoxville TN FHC

        >On 5/6/2003 at 6:29 PM Dana A. Repouille wrote:
        >I think I have identified the reason for consistent shutdown errors in
        >VSMON
        >(part of ZoneAlarm) at BFF7B9A6.
        >
        >I started with a clean hard drive, installed Win98SE from the church CD,
        >and
        >then all the service packs from WindowsUpdate. Then I installed CIMA. Then
        >the latest version of ZoneAlarm from their web site.
        >
        >Everything worked perfectly until I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1,
        >again directly from their web site. During some shutdowns, I get a 0E fatal
        >error in KERNEL32.DLL. Other times I get a fatal error in VSMON. After
        >researching 0167:BFF7B9A6, I believe VSMON and Acrobat rely on incompatible
        >versions of MSVCRT.DLL or possibly MSVCP60.DLL.
        >
        >The Acrobat 5.1 install placed the 7/15/2000 version of MSVCRT.DLL, and the
        >8/29/2000 version of MSVCP60.DLL. After that, VSMON started to abort during
        >shutdown.
        >
        >Any help out there?
        >Thanks,
        >Dana
      • Russell Houlton
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2003
          Not a direct answer, but a observation. What kind of internet access do you
          have? Only if your center has dial-up (individual or LAN modem) are you
          required to use ZoneAlarm. Centers that use DSL, Cable Modem and other high
          speed connections get a firewall from SLC that eliminates the requirement
          for ZA.

          Don't get me wrong, I love ZA and use it personally, but I also don't run it
          at my FHC since I don't need to. It's the KISS principle.

          roups.yahoo.com]On Behalf Of Dana A. Repouille

          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2003
            Does SL require ZoneAlarm specifically, or are other software firewalls
            acceptable? Perhaps another option such as Outpost by Agnitum, or Kerio
            would prevent the conflicts.

            > Not a direct answer, but a observation. What kind of internet access do
            you
            > have? Only if your center has dial-up (individual or LAN modem) are you
            > required to use ZoneAlarm. Centers that use DSL, Cable Modem and other
            high
            > speed connections get a firewall from SLC that eliminates the requirement
            > for ZA.
            >
            > Don't get me wrong, I love ZA and use it personally, but I also don't run
            it
            > at my FHC since I don't need to. It's the KISS principle.

          • Russell Houlton
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2003
              It is listed specifically in the setup instructions for Dial-up and LAN
              modem Dial-up. Probably because it's free. I don't recall any steps or
              instructions suggesting that substitutions were allowed. But I'm not saying
              that only that product is acceptable, it's just the instructions say "use
              this" with no details.

              Also the original poster might want to check and be sure they've gotten the
              most recent version of ZA. They do update every few months or so. If
              there's a conflict between ZA and Acrobat Reader, I'm sure one of those
              companies will make some adjustment or post a FAQ on how to fix it.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                This FHC has a 3COM LAN Modem.

                As I said in the original post, I installed Win98SE on an empty drive, then
                all the patches from Windows Update, then the latest version of ZA
                downloaded directly from their website, then Acrobat Reader downloaded
                directly from their web site.

                Using the latest version of ZA may indeed be the problem. I've been scanning
                the ZA discussion forum, and there have been many Win98 users who are having
                problems with ZA version 3.7.xxx. I may have to drop back to 3.6 or an
                earlier version to find one compatible with such an obsolete OS as Win98SE.

                My KERNEL32.DLL seems to be the original 4.10.2222 version that came with
                Win98SE. None of the patches installed a newer version. So my two choices
                are to either use an older ZA or get a newer KERNEL32.DLL from Microsoft.

                Dana

                > It is listed specifically in the setup instructions for Dial-up and LAN
                > modem Dial-up. Probably because it's free. I don't recall any steps or
                > instructions suggesting that substitutions were allowed. But I'm not
                saying
                > that only that product is acceptable, it's just the instructions say "use
                > this" with no details.
                >
                > Also the original poster might want to check and be sure they've gotten
                the
                > most recent version of ZA. They do update every few months or so. If
                > there's a conflict between ZA and Acrobat Reader, I'm sure one of those
                > companies will make some adjustment or post a FAQ on how to fix it.

              • Darrell H Bangerter
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                  We have a 3COM LAN modem and had all kinds of problems with ZA. Finally, I
                  was told by the connectivity group at headquarters that since we had a LAN
                  Modem, ZA was not required. I have since confirmed that with others in that
                  office. Once we dropped ZA -- NO MORE PROBLEMS.

                  Darrell Bangerter
                  Vancouver WA West

                  > It is listed specifically in the setup instructions for Dial-up and LAN
                  > modem Dial-up. Probably because it's free. I don't recall any steps or
                  > instructions suggesting that substitutions were allowed. But I'm not
                  saying
                  > that only that product is acceptable, it's just the instructions say "use
                  > this" with no details.
                  >
                  > Also the original poster might want to check and be sure they've gotten
                  the
                  > most recent version of ZA. They do update every few months or so. If
                  > there's a conflict between ZA and Acrobat Reader, I'm sure one of those
                  > companies will make some adjustment or post a FAQ on how to fix it.

                  Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • Gary Tarbet
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                    My son just got home from BYU. While there he works for the church help
                    desk and he also stated that if we ran into problems we no longer had to
                    run ZA with the Lan Modem. It has been working fine at our FHC
                    (Win2000) so am leaving it in place for now.

                    GaryT
                    Ashburn VA

                    > It is listed specifically in the setup instructions for Dial-up and
                    LAN
                    > modem Dial-up. Probably because it's free. I don't recall any steps
                    or
                    > instructions suggesting that substitutions were allowed. But I'm not
                    saying
                    > that only that product is acceptable, it's just the instructions say
                    "use
                    > this" with no details.
                    >
                    > Also the original poster might want to check and be sure they've
                    gotten
                    the
                    > most recent version of ZA. They do update every few months or so. If
                    > there's a conflict between ZA and Acrobat Reader, I'm sure one of
                    those
                    > companies will make some adjustment or post a FAQ on how to fix it.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                      I wonder why the requirement was dropped? There isn't any protection that
                      I'm aware of that you gain when you use a Lan modem that negates the need
                      for something like ZA.

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                        ISP's normally do not assign a permanent IP address to each dial up customer
                        but assign the next address available when they dial in, With cable modems
                        you normally have the same address until you loose it for some reason (modem
                        failure/change switches etc.) and a stationary target is a lot easier to
                        hack then a moving one.

                        Sterrie

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                          That only give protection against hacker specifically targeting a FHC or a
                          hacker that needs/wants to return back to where he hacked. It still doesn't
                          protect you from getting hacked in the first place, or protect you from
                          getting hacked for the heck of it.

                          I used to use Dial-up quite a bit and still saw frequent port scanning.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                            I would be very cautious about removing the firewall from your installation. There are some network devices that do provide a
                            built in firewall or cable/dsl routers that do Network Address
                            Translation (NAT) that prevent an outside device from getting
                            access directly to your device. However, unless you are sure
                            your network device provides such a service you are leaving yourself
                            wide open to malicious attacks. Even with my dial up service
                            I get about 3 hits an hour from who knows where.

                            The problem that you may be having with Acrobat Reader is that
                            version 5 of Acrobat Reader and later have a built in auto-updater
                            feature built in as well as an auto-notify when document read
                            feature that attempt to access the network. Zone alarm may be
                            configured to block Acrobat Reader from accessing the network.
                            This would prevent Acrobat from running properly.

                            Brian Hewitt - Minneapolis FHC

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                              I don't know about the free version, but the Pro version 3.7.143 that I use
                              at home is. Have had no problems, including working with the full Adobe
                              Acrobat.

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 10, 2003