RE: [fhctech] PRF Installation Problem

  • SLW
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2003
      Thanks

      Solved the problem with trying to get PRF to run on the same box PRF shared
      files are under Win98.
      1. After reading all the back PRF messages on
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fhctech came to the conclusion that it
      couldn't be done.
      2. Tried several times to install it anyhow but still didn't work.
      3. Upgraded the box to WIN2KPro and it works like a charm.

      Thanks for all the help and suggestions,

      Sterrie

      Sterrie Weaver
      Newport News FHC

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2003
        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "SLW" <slweaver4@c...> wrote:
        > Rick
        >
        > Will try the Net use batch.
        > I ran from: v:\setup.exe and v:\mi\setup.exe and still got the
        error but
        > only on the box with program installed on it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sterrie
        >
        > Sterrie Weaver
        > Newport News, VA FHC

        Win98 will not recognize a drive as a network drive from the computer
        on which it is located, although it should work on other computers on
        a peer-to-peer network. Win2000/NT/XP work fine this way, but if you
        remember that it's not advisable to use the computer that is acting as
        a file server as a workstation, switching operating systems is not
        necessry...just use the server as a server and don't let the patrons
        near it. :-) Of course if you use a number of the computers on your
        network as file servers; e.g., for different sets of files; this
        becomes a bit academic. ;-|
      • Louis Puster
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2003
          First, I see no problem in using the server as a workstation. Of course, if the user crashes it, then the whole network goes down. Therefore, I recommend using a more robust operating system like WinNT or Win2000. Since this workstation will be a little different from the patron workstations, I recommend it be the one at the front desk used only by staff. WinNT and Win2000 do not object to mapping drives to itself, so that also solves the other problem. This is the approach we use in our FHC.

          However, there IS a way to map drives to yourself on Win98.*
          1. Find out your IP address by using the DOS command WINIPCFG. Let's assume it is 192.168.0.135.
          2. Then you can use the DOS command: net use x: \\192.168.0.135\sharename
          (where "sharename" is the folder's share name). The X: drive will be mapped to it.

          Disadvantage: Most people set up TCP/IP to use DHCP, which means that the IP address will not always be the same. To insure the IP address does not change, you would have to change your setup to use STATIC IPs, which will be very inconvenient for people bringing in their notebook computers and expecting to hook them into the network to access the Internet.

          Possible work around: There may be a little program available that returns the current IP address. If not, the command
          winipcfg /batch or ipconfig /batch
          will write a file "winipcfg.out" which contains the IP number on line 6 starting in column 39. A little VBS script could capture this value and do the NET USE command. It would have to be run in the STARTUP folder since the IP number could change from one boot-up session to the next. (VBS is built into Windows - you wouldn't have to buy anything).

          Louis.
          Knoxville TN FHC

          * Re: Post by Denise Haslam on 20 Feb 2002.

        • SLW
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            Louis

            Thanks for sharing your way to map drives to yourself on Win98 will give it
            a try.

            We have been running Family Search on a server used as a workstation with
            WIN98 for the last two years and as you say the only time it was a problem
            was when something happen to that box, then network would go down.

            We wanted to use PRF on the server/workstation so installed Windows 2k Pro
            and it is running fine. Our goal is to set up a separate server for the
            network, hopefully later this year.

            Thanks for the help

            Sterrie
            Newport News, VA FHC