Re: [fhctech] Linux networking

  • Kerry Cox
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
      Tim,
      I'm using Red Hat Linux as a server with 240GB of hard drive space used
      for storing all the data CDs. I am currently running RH 7.3 but will be
      migrating to 8.1 as soon as it is officially released. I am one of the
      beta-testers and have been VERY impressed with what 8.1 is turning into.
      It is great as both server and desktop.
      I'm running a customized IP Masquerading script using IPTables for
      Nat'ing purposes. I'm going to migrate to fwbuilder for building a more
      versatile script. Check it out at www.fwbuilder.org. GUI tool that makes
      CheckPoint look archaic.
      We have a very small FHC here in West Jordan with only 4 networked
      machines. They are all running Win2K with Service Pack 3. I also have
      all the normal Symantec Anti-Virus installed and updating weekly. We
      have only a dial-up connection to the Church via the Linux machine, but
      once it is connected everyone can get out. I am using Squid to limit the
      sites people can visit. I have thought about using DHCP on the Linux
      machine, but have instead simply statically assigned IP addresses to
      each box.
      Things have been working great for about a year now. I only stop by once
      a month and check with the Director to see how things are and to apply
      the latest patches. He knows very little about Linux but is able to
      login and run a few scripts. In all, our setup works great and we simply
      leave the Linux machine on all the time. The Win2K machines we power up
      at opening and they automatically map to the Linux Samba-shared drives.
      Email me if you have any other questions.
      KJ

      On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 09:16, Tim Riker wrote:
      > Linux Guru, new to the list, and new as a FHC tech.
      >
      > I'm wondering how many other FHCs out there are running Linux based
      > servers? Has anyone replaced the SonicWall box as well? Similar
      > filtering software should be available under Linux.
      >
      > Here's what I have (just) setup:
      >
      > Gateway P5-166 32M
      > Debian stable
      > kernel 2.4.20 with
      > samba 2.2.3a-12
      > WDC AC32500H boot
      > WDC WD2000JB-00DUA1 /export
      >
      > I boot of the original 2.5G hard disk and then mount the 200G as /export
      > readonly. root is ext3 and /export is ext2 (since it's readonly anyway).
      >
      > At this point I'm leaving the system on all the time just for ease of
      > training. I also opened ssh inbound to the server so I can get in for
      > remote setup issues.
      >
      > I have not yet replaced the SonicWall, I just set it up to assign a
      > static IP to the Linux box. I might setup DNS on the server and have the
      > SonicWall hand out the serrvers IP as a WINS and DNS server.
      >
      > The data for configuring network installs is a bit out of date. I'm
      > wondering things like:
      >
      > Can the IGI and IGI Update date live in the same place? I did not
      > initially see any name conflicts that looked significant.
      >
      > Is it better to have one network install of the software that all
      > stations use or to install it on each workstation?
      >
      > My workstations are a mix of Win95 and Win98 systems. I understand that
      > Win98 licenses can be obtained through SLC. Any one know the proceedure
      > for that? As Win95 does not get security updates anymore, it would seem
      > to make sense to get all systems up to 98 OSR 2 with security patches in
      > place.
      >
      > Any comments on which version of MSIE to install and support?
      >
      > Is anyone using Linux stations for FamilySearch.org access? If so, what
      > browser? Personnaly I use Debian on my laptop with Mozilla, but the Lnux
      > server in the FHC is not available for patron use at present.
      >
      > Anyone use Gramps? http://gramps.sourceforge.net/ It's a GPLed PAF like
      > app. GEDCOM import/export etc. Requires Python and GTK.
      >
      > I'm often online as TimRiker on irc.freenode.net and irc.oftc.net and
      > would be a happy to support any FHC techs running Linux.
      > --
      > Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - TimR@...
      > former Lineo CTO - Tim@... - http://www.Lineo.com/
      > BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!

      /-----------------------------\__/--------------------------------\
      | Kerry J. Cox __ kerry.cox@... |
      | KSL System Administrator | | p: 801.575.7771 |
      | http://www.ksl.com/ |__| f: 801.575.5745 |
      | GPG Key: __ http://quasi.ksl.com/kerry.asc |
      \-----------------------------/ \--------------------------------/
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
        I an NOT a Linux guru, but we are running Mandrake 8.1 on our server. I
        think the Sonic Wall is a requirement and I would not replace it with
        anything different w/o checking with Salt Lake first. It would be valuable
        to read the Church restrictions on computer equipment purchases and software
        licensing before getting too deep. The current Family History software
        (TempleReady, etc.) provided by the Church requires Internet Explorer 5.5
        or above. There is also free access to anti-virus software through
        www.commandcom.com. The asst. stake clerk for computers can provide you
        with the logon and password for it.

        > Linux Guru, new to the list, and new as a FHC tech.
        >
        > I'm wondering how many other FHCs out there are running Linux based
        > servers? Has anyone replaced the SonicWall box as well? Similar
        > filtering software should be available under Linux.
        >
        > Here's what I have (just) setup:
        >
        > Gateway P5-166 32M
        > Debian stable
        > kernel 2.4.20 with
        > samba 2.2.3a-12
        > WDC AC32500H boot
        > WDC WD2000JB-00DUA1 /export
        >
        > I boot of the original 2.5G hard disk and then mount the 200G as /export
        > readonly. root is ext3 and /export is ext2 (since it's readonly anyway).
        >
        > At this point I'm leaving the system on all the time just for ease of
        > training. I also opened ssh inbound to the server so I can get in for
        > remote setup issues.
        >
        > I have not yet replaced the SonicWall, I just set it up to assign a
        > static IP to the Linux box. I might setup DNS on the server and have the
        > SonicWall hand out the serrvers IP as a WINS and DNS server.
        >
        > The data for configuring network installs is a bit out of date. I'm
        > wondering things like:
        >
        > Can the IGI and IGI Update date live in the same place? I did not
        > initially see any name conflicts that looked significant.
        >
        > Is it better to have one network install of the software that all
        > stations use or to install it on each workstation?
        >
        > My workstations are a mix of Win95 and Win98 systems. I understand that
        > Win98 licenses can be obtained through SLC. Any one know the proceedure
        > for that? As Win95 does not get security updates anymore, it would seem
        > to make sense to get all systems up to 98 OSR 2 with security patches in
        > place.
        >
        > Any comments on which version of MSIE to install and support?
        >
        > Is anyone using Linux stations for FamilySearch.org access? If so, what
        > browser? Personnaly I use Debian on my laptop with Mozilla, but the Lnux
        > server in the FHC is not available for patron use at present.
        >
        > Anyone use Gramps? http://gramps.sourceforge.net/ It's a GPLed PAF like
        > app. GEDCOM import/export etc. Requires Python and GTK.
        >
        > I'm often online as TimRiker on irc.freenode.net and irc.oftc.net and
        > would be a happy to support any FHC techs running Linux.
        > --
        > Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - TimR@...
        > former Lineo CTO - Tim@... - http://www.Lineo.com/
        > BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!

      • Tim Riker
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
          Good advice.

          There is an advisory on the subject that does mandate the SonicWall.

          I believe the spirit of that mandate is to continue with the firewall
          and web filering that is in place. I expect to ask for approval before
          putting in place a replacement system. I expect to test a replacement
          offsite on another network before proposing it.

          It looks like the SonicWall uses the same blacklist technology as
          CyberPatrol. I'm not aware yet of an OpenSource (ie: free) solution that
          ties into the same database. I've only just started looking though. ;-)

          As to browsers, I was considering 5.5 or newer like 6.0 and trying to
          decide which to use. Just curious which is the lesser evil. ;-)

          I do plan to upgrade the virus software on all the machines. Thanx for
          the tip on a proceedure.

          --
          Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - TimR@...
          former Lineo CTO - Tim@... - http://www.Lineo.com/
          BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!
        • danielzappala
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2003
            I'm running Redhat 7.3 on our server, which is an AMD 1.53 Ghz with
            256 Meg RAM and 160 GB of (software) RAID. I also leave the server on
            all the time; it has been running for about 6 months with no reboots
            or crashes.

            I have pretty much all the CDs put out by the church loaded on the
            server - I can send you my setup for IGI (and anything else) if you
            need it. I have been pleasantly suprised by how much of the software
            can be installed on client just by running the install program from
            the network. For example, adding a new FHRF set is just a one-click
            install, and the registry is automatically updated properly. I can
            setup a client (already loaded with W95) in about 5 minutes.

            We do not yet have any Internet access, as it is difficult to get in
            our area, but supposedly AT&T/Comcast will come through any month now
            (which I've heard for 4 years now). I do use Galeon for accessing
            familysearch.org. I have started using Gramps for my genealogy, and
            plan to help add any features I find lacking. In fact, I use Linux for
            everything now, except Quicken for my own finances, and I will soon be
            making the switch to GnuCash.

            Daniel Zappala
            Asst. Professor, Computer Science
            University of Oregon