Re: IM screen (and other) oddities

  • klbeardall <klbeardall@mstar2.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Oakton FHC has just begun to use the "Patron View" in FHCIM in lieu of
      a short term printout and an extended loan printout. Our extended
      loan printout (our inventory) was 95 pages long and we did not want to
      affort the time and toner to print it frequently.

      We installed FHCIM on all of our seven networked workstations and
      pointed the data file to the database on the server. The director
      next spent every shift for two weeks with every staff member
      explaining the steps to display the information available to patrons
      in FHCIM, showing how to do searches, etc. We found that our patrons
      were quicker at catching on and more accepting of the change, than
      were the staff.

      We found that it makes no sense to click on the inventory button on
      the patron view screen. That indeed takes you to record #1. Using the
      on-screen button, only provides a confusing background in our opinion.

      We tell our patrons and staff to first use the menu bar across the top
      and use a rather lengthy five step procedure. This is from memory, we
      use the following steps -- Reports, Films, Inventory, and then a menu
      appears to search by Order Number, Patron, Title, etc. When you ask
      to sort by patron, all of the patron names entered into the FHCIM are
      there and you need only to scroll to any patron's name. The search
      feature works for the title only on our database since our converted
      data (from DBASE 3) never appear in the Description or Locality
      fields, but only the title. FHCIM searches the title by word and will
      find any word in the title. You don't need the whole title to find a
      location that appears in a title. Another favorite of our patrons
      using the menu is -- Reports, Other, Patron History which shows all
      films or fiche that a patron has ever ordered. We like the Patron
      View and many patrons do as well. We will try it and see how it plays
      out for the next few weeks.

      I agree that it is not as user friendly as it could be, but it is not
      useless like some would have us believe. Perhaps we will learn beter
      ways to use it. We are trying to use the manual and the software to
      make a Patron user guide for the Patron View. You wouldn't want to
      hand the manual to a patron. We haven't tried the Help screens to see
      if they are adequate or not for a patron to use.

      The above is strictly an opinion of the writer (who is the spouse
      of the Director) and does not reflect official policy of the Oakton
      Virginia Family History Center or the Church of Jesus Christ of
      Latter-day Saints, nor necessarily the views of the Oakton FHC
      Director either.

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@a...>
      wrote:
      > I was wondering if others have this same behavior with Inventory
      Manager.
      > When selecting various reports to print, the screen position of the
      window
      > that pops up is not consistent. Out monitor is properly adjusted,
      but some
      > of the reports, for example the patron notification, open with the
      right
      > edge of the window off the screen. To click the "X" to close, the
      window
      > must first be dragged to the left. Other report windows open nicely
      > centered.
      >
      > I was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for using the
      "patron
      > view" function. When I act like a patron would and try to do
      something
      > simple such as check to see what films are in by selecting
      inventory, the
      > default screen starts with record #1 and although there is a drop
      down list,
      > the patron names are not selectable. It is certainly not intuitive
      to find
      > the datasheet view or to sort the columns. Even though the datasheet
      view
      > list would be much easier to scroll, it seems that it would still be
      > confusing to most patrons. I would certainly like to get away from
      the
      > waste of paper we generate each week by constantly reprinting the
      short-term
      > loans. Patrons need to be able to find the information they need
      without a
      > lot of staff intervention.
      >
      > Gary Templeman
    • Mark L. Pearson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003

        I have this problem with regular software and computer literacy levels and am willing to donate my time to do the following:

        1.  Create a Computer Based Training course in HTML so that you can load on your servers, with a shortcut to an index.htm file which will open up a browser to give step by step instructions of the procedure you want to train.  (What I need is screen shots using something like Snag IT (30 day free evaluation – www.techsmith.com) , and instructions so I can copy and paste).  This can also be thrown up to the Internet if appropriate.

        2.  If someone wants to work with me as it relates to letting me borrow a copy of the software in question so that it can be loaded on a standalone computer I will do a Camtasia Demonstration which is extremely clear video, and if a script is written I can add audio to it.  www.techsmith.com  What is really good about this process is that the final product is an executable and bypasses all of the audio video issues on the computer configurations.

        I have done a simple Computer Based Training for Temple Ready and PaperPort for our ward library.  If you want a copy to see what I am talking about, e-mail me and I will send you a copy.

        We also use PaperPort 8 to reduce the paper, and toner and expense to the Patron by 90%.  What we do is print to a PaperPort Folder, drag the copy to Notepad, and it OCRs extremely well the information, and then give the notepad file back on their disk so they can print or view at home.  If you have OmniPage or Acrobat Author loaded you can save to PDF.  I have a draft Computer Based Training on this product if you would like a free copy of it let me know.

        The above is very little work and easy to do with the tools I have.  The key is what to say and the screen shots.  I can also put the final product to my web site for downloading depending on the size of the finished product.

        I owe this group a lot for the help I got in setting up for our ward library.  I am very grateful.

        Mark L. Pearson

        M-CBS

        2511 Driftcreek Rd SE

        Sublimity, OR 97385

        1-877-873-5568 (Toll Free)

        810-885-2964 (FAX)

        http://www.m-cbs.com

        mark@...

[...]

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          > Oakton FHC has just begun to use the "Patron View" in FHCIM in lieu of
          > a short term printout and an extended loan printout. Our extended
          > loan printout (our inventory) was 95 pages long and we did not want to
          > afford the time and toner to print it frequently.

          I only update quarterly or if there have been significant changes. Luckily
          we do not have a lot of films shifting into indefinite on a regular basis.

          > We installed FHCIM on all of our seven networked workstations and
          > pointed the data file to the database on the server. The director
          > next spent every shift for two weeks with every staff member
          > explaining the steps to display the information available to patrons
          > in FHCIM, showing how to do searches, etc.

          Man I wish I could do that. Unfortunately I have a "real" job too so my
          ability to get to the weekday shifts is basically zero.

          > We found that our patrons
          > were quicker at catching on and more accepting of the change, than
          > were the staff.

          Isn't that the truth. I have seen the same thing.

          > We found that it makes no sense to click on the inventory button on
          > the patron view screen. That indeed takes you to record #1. Using the
          > on-screen button, only provides a confusing background in our opinion.
          >
          > We tell our patrons and staff to first use the menu bar across the top
          > and use a rather lengthy five step procedure.

          However I bet someone more clever than I could develop a macro to do all the
          steps with one click.

          This is from memory, we
          > use the following steps -- Reports, Films, Inventory, and then a menu
          > appears to search by Order Number, Patron, Title, etc. When you ask
          > to sort by patron, all of the patron names entered into the FHCIM are
          > there and you need only to scroll to any patron's name. The search
          > feature works for the title only on our database since our converted
          > data (from DBASE 3) never appear in the Description or Locality
          > fields, but only the title.

          We have the same issue after having converted a lot of data a year ago from
          FilmKeeper. There really should be a way to link to the data in the FHLC
          and automatically pull off the description and locality information when
          entering the film number. We have the information at hand and it just needs
          to be linked up.

          > FHCIM searches the title by word and will
          > find any word in the title. You don't need the whole title to find a
          > location that appears in a title. Another favorite of our patrons
          > using the menu is -- Reports, Other, Patron History which shows all
          > films or fiche that a patron has ever ordered. We like the Patron
          > View and many patrons do as well. We will try it and see how it plays
          > out for the next few weeks.
          >
          > I agree that it is not as user friendly as it could be, but it is not
          > useless like some would have us believe.

          I agree and didn't mean to imply it was useless. But user friendliness is
          extremely important, and a "lengthy five step process" compared to glancing
          at a printout does not seem to me to be progress.

          Gary Templeman
        • Mark L. Pearson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003

            ;; However I bet someone more clever than I could develop a macro to do all the
            steps with one click.

            Mark L. Pearson

            M-CBS

            2511 Driftcreek Rd SE