IM 2.1

  • Barbara Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      Has anyone had any problem with installing the new IM? I can not enter my
      center information. It kicks me back to the desktop after I enter just one
      or two letters. I'm about ready to do an uninstall and reinstall to see if
      that will help. I installed it on my home computer first before taking it
      to the center to install it there just because of problems like this.

      Thanks,
      Barbara
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        No problems at all, either with it or when I tested the beta version. Are
        you closing all other programs, expecially the antivirus software before
        running the installation? Also, empty the Windows\Temp folder, the recycle
        bin and clear out the Internet Explorer cache.

      • klbeardall <klbeardall@mstar2.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          When I installed IM 2.1, the new version somehow imported the Center
          information from the previous version installed (in our center ver.
          1.07). I seem to recall the the Center information is provided by the
          Family History Department via download when you log on to activate
          your software and to send orders. I recall that I could never enter
          the information on my own. This is all relatively fuzzy now, but my
          installation over the previous version went flawlessly. Back up your
          data first, howerver, as a precaution.
          John S. Beardall
          Oakton Virginia Stake FH
          ____________________________
          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Allen" <bea@c...> wrote:
          > Has anyone had any problem with installing the new IM? I can not
          enter my
          > center information. It kicks me back to the desktop after I enter
          just one
          > or two letters. I'm about ready to do an uninstall and reinstall to
          see if
          > that will help. I installed it on my home computer first before
          taking it
          > to the center to install it there just because of problems like
          this.

          > Thanks,
          > Barbara
        • Russell Houlton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
            If this is a Win2000 machine, make sure you're logged in with enough rights
            to install programs. This isn't as issue with Win98/Win95 machines.

            I've installed IM 2.1 and while I've got a number of issues, that wasn't
            one of them.

            > Has anyone had any problem with installing the new IM? I can not enter
            my
            > center information. It kicks me back to the desktop after I enter just
            one
            > or two letters. I'm about ready to do an uninstall and reinstall to see
            if
            > that will help. I installed it on my home computer first before taking
            it
            > to the center to install it there just because of problems like this.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Barbara
          • Clyde B. Russell
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
              Dear FHCtech group,
                  I usually try not to stick my neck out - because it's probably something that I'm doing wrong. But here goes - a possible 'heads-up' on IM 2.1. It's a vast improvement over v. 1.7. I could sing its praises.  But..
                  When I import my v 1.7 database into 2.1, the first Order Card number that comes up is 4411 or 4438, which numbers were somewhere within the last two 'sent' batches. The correct 'next' order card number with which the first order in v. 2.1 should have started was 4462. Of course the 4438 can be changed to 4462 - if you catch what's happening - and all is well from there. But if I hadn't caught it, I'd have had several duplicated order card numbers with different films.  (I've done the importation many times, in rehearsal for the "real" day! - all with similar results)
                  Also, (in both Windows XP and 2K) I find that, when entering an order into IM 2.1, if I don't catch a typo in the "film number" until I've started entering the "title", I can't go back and simply correct the film number error without first clicking on the "Save" button - then I'm allowed to alter the film number. And then, after answering affirmatively to the 'confirm the change?' message, the "title" - which may have been lengthy - disappears and must be re-entered (Of course if I thought to copy it to the clip-board first, I could simply paste it back into the Title Field!).
                  Has anyone found how to avoid these 2 minor irritants?
              Clyde Russell
              Santa Rosa CA FHC

              ---