Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [fhctech] FHCIM Data Import

Expand Messages
  • Patricia Breidenthal
    Ingred Frahnid (SLC) gave us a text file of all of the holdings that we had prior to about 3 years ago. She is aware of a potential problem that might exist
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      Ingred Frahnid (SLC) gave us a text file of all of the holdings that
      we had prior to about 3 years ago. She is aware of a potential
      problem that might exist out there, you might want to contact her if
      you feel that you may have to manually imput years of data.

      ~patti b (Grants Pass, Oregon)

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Clyde Russell" <ccrussell@...>
      To: <fhctech@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 7:22 PM
      Subject: [fhctech] FHCIM Data Import

      Dear Listers,
      A few months ago I received great helps from several of you
      through this newsletter in the matter of setting up a peer-to-peer
      W95/98 LAN
      and getting FamilySearch to work from a W98 server. I simply couldn't
      have done
      it without all your help!
      This is my first effort at making a pay-back contribution, however
      (for I am just a self-taught-school-of-hard-knocks-trained computer
      person) to
      this list. The stimulus was Vern Taylor's request of 14 July on the
      matter of
      getting a database imported into FHCIM v.1.0.
      The following items I learned, or think that I learned, through
      great pain
      and suffering during the beta test period. All of my data imports
      (many trials)
      were sheer agony, until, by trial and error I settled upon the
      routine - starting with the data files that I had. Then, when I
      followed all of
      the below items, I had a flawless import with the v 1.0 release. I'll
      just give
      you the straight path, not all of the painful meanderings. There may
      be overkill
      here - I just know that it worked.
      Not everything here will apply to anyone else reading this. I am
      not well
      versed in database programs and formats. You'll have to make your own
      adjustments according to your own type of starting data, etc. This is
      just what
      worked for me.
      Our Extended Loan database of about 2600 film/fiche entries was
      being kept
      and maintained in a Microsoft Word97, 3-column Table: GS#,
      #FicheParts, and
      Description. Data entry was simply free-form. Since it was free form,
      it was not
      disciplined. Paragraph marks, dashes, commas, spaces, capitals, etc
      were used
      inconsistently. There were many double and even triple entries
      reflecting actual
      duplicate films/fichesets as well as simply duplicate entries to allow
      additional descriptions for showing up at different places in an alpha
      sort on
      the description field.
      Some of the massaging I was able to do by inspection, some by the
      use of
      Microsoft Word's
      Find and Replace function, some by Word's export/import function, and
      some by
      writing some QuickBasic routines to work on text-file-exports from
      Word, which I
      could then import back into Word to continue the massaging.

      1. Eliminated all page and column headers and footers, etc. etc. to
      leave the
      bare table of 3 cols.
      2. Made sure that all GS#s had all their leading zeros intact, and
      any commas and spaces from all entries in this field.
      3. Eliminated all duplicate entries - leaving just one entry for each
      GS#. (I
      kept a copy of the ACTUAL duplicate films for future reference and
      into FHCIM later in case it seemed feasible)
      4. Eliminated all spaces and "?s" from the #FicheParts field. Where I
      was not
      sure of the number of fiches in a set, I simply put a "1".
      5. Eliminated all Paragraph Marks, commas, Manual Line Breaks and
      dashes from
      the entire table. Where the description took more than one line I just
      Word's wrap function handle it within a single cell of the table, with
      the cell
      expanding vertically to accommodate it.
      6. Inserted additional (small, blank) columns into the Word Table, in
      correct places according to the FHD specifications for 13 columns.
      7. Selected the entire table and exported it to TEXT format with
      delimiters. This gave the 13 fields with 12 bars that are required.
      Only fields
      1, 3, and 5 contained data.
      8. Imported this .TXT file into FHCIM v. 1.0 without an 'error'
      message, and
      went and celebrated with ice cream!

      I hope that even one tiny item above may help some one of my
      colleagues out
      there! God bless you all for your wonderful work and your sharing.
      I've had many
      helps in this great work from Heavenly Father - both directly, and
      also through
      you my colleagues. This is truly His Work.
      Clyde B. Russell
      Santa Rosa CA FHC.

      Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and find your ancestors
      Search over 600 million names and trace your family tree today.
      Click here:

      Home Page:
      Searchable Archive:
      Community email addresses:
      Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
      Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
      Unsubscribe: fhctech-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      List owner: fhctech-owner@onelist.com
      Shortcut URL to this page:
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.