Re: OI on familysearch web site

  • donbradbury
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
      Well should we presume the announcement has been overlooked by the
      powers then? I mean decisions are being taken over here - re Internet
      access in FHCs, for example - in the absence of a good reason for
      installing it. Hence the wrong decision may well be taken.

      Can we have a response here from the FHD please?

      Don

      >I don't think I would have heard about it unless I hung out here
      >either. And I'm in the US.
    • mhtippetts
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
        --- In fhctech@y..., "Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@c...> wrote:
        > That's why we hang out in places like this. <grin>
        >
        > I don't think I would have heard about it unless I hung out here
        either.
        > And I'm in the US.

        That's why I'm listening in also... but what is IO? Our local
        leaders haven't thought to pass the word.

        - Mark
      • phil_jeffrey28
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
          Don
          I guess the question that needs to be asked is who is holding onto
          the information. All ward clerks church wide recieved a message about
          the new OI if they didn't pass it on look to them. The Bishops
          recieved a very similar letter so look to them. Our Stake President
          and I would assume others revcieved it so did it stop there ? If your
          Family History Director has access to the FHC directors page it was
          annouced there so shame on him, if he doesn't have access he should
          have. Then it was metioned in Conference and was announced in the
          church newspaper. It was posted on the church www.familysearch.org
          and www.lds.org web sites. So I guess the question is how much more
          do you want it announced. Seems to me somebody just figured it wasn't
          that important. Even with all this press and read from the pulpit for
          a couple of weeks I heard people in my ward who just read it in the
          newspaper and wondered why we didn't announce it in church. Go
          figure !!!!

          Phil
          --- In fhctech@y..., "donbradbury" <donbradbury@c...> wrote:
          > Well should we presume the announcement has been overlooked by the
          > powers then? I mean decisions are being taken over here - re
          Internet
          > access in FHCs, for example - in the absence of a good reason for
          > installing it. Hence the wrong decision may well be taken.
          >
          > Can we have a response here from the FHD please?
          >
          > Don
          >
          > >I don't think I would have heard about it unless I hung out here
          > >either. And I'm in the US.
        • Ronald W. Frye
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
            What is OI?

            --
            Sincerely,

            Ronald W. Frye

            Webmaster of...
            Ronald Frye: http://www.lds.net/pages/ronfrye/index.html
            NorCal Cruisers: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/8522/
          • Richard N. Simonsen
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
              I would assume Ordinance Index - the new name for IGI. Do you know IGI -
              International Genealogical Index?

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 5, 2002
                  Hmm, OK, how do I get my director access to the FHC director's page.
                  I've never even heard of it. (In fact, this is the only forum I'm aware
                  of for FHCs - hope I don't embarrass my self _too_ bad by admitting
                  that!).

                  Thanks,
                  Jeff Hedberg

                  On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 05:24 PM, phil_jeffrey28 wrote:

                  > If your
                  > Family History Director has access to the FHC directors page it was
                  > annouced there so shame on him, if he doesn't have access he should
                  > have.
                • Russell Houlton
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                    >>> I would assume Ordinance Index - the new name for IGI. Do you know
                    IGI -
                    International Genealogical Index? <<<

                    To elaborate, the IGI lists sources of names for ordinances. OI, tells what
                    work has been done, when and where. The former is of general interest, the
                    latter is of interest only to LDS.

                    As for announcing the OI, what should have been done? Isn't that about the
                    same as when a new census or source is added? Why would this have been
                    announced over the pulpit and create a huge rush? Besides, the IO isn't
                    quite complete as there are still gaps between the IGI CD's and the on-line
                    OI. Not everyone is "on-line" and not everyone is doing their genealogy
                    work. This is something that would have been placed where active workers
                    would see it. Maybe when it's completely ready it will be announced over
                    the pulpit.

                    >>> I mean decisions are being taken over here - re Internet
                    access in FHCs, for example - in the absence of a good reason for
                    installing it. Hence the wrong decision may well be taken. <<<

                    The CD's are two years old. There will be no more made. The future is the
                    internet. There is now policy and forms to fill out to place FHC's on-line.
                    What more do they need to know?
                  • donbradbury
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                      >There is now policy and forms to fill out to place FHC's on-line.
                      >What more do they need to know?

                      They need to know the reason WHY, Russell. As you say, the future is
                      online - it can only be a matter of time before TR runs are done
                      online - but there's a surprising amount of ignorance about online
                      matters among FHC directors, IME, and in the absence of that prod
                      (the announcement) some simply ain't going to do it, not here in the
                      UK anyway.

                      The thing is, beta testers of OI and latterly censuses were told they
                      would be informed when open access to these facilities was up and
                      running. Now it is, but no one over here in the UK seems to know
                      about it, not the Ordinance Index anyway. Some will have seen Pres
                      Hinckley's words on the Census updates, but again, only if they
                      regularly log on to the church web site.

                      BTW, I see OI updates are taking only a matter of days to appear on
                      familysearch. My 27 Nov endowments are up there already. Excellent!

                      Don
                    • James W Anderson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                        Additionally, I am also hearing that the FCHD has
                        actually received CANCELLATIONS of applications to go
                        online. Again, there were people who did not realize
                        that probably within a year or two all FHCs will have
                        to be online in order to clear names for the temples.

                        --- donbradbury <donbradbury@...> wrote:
                        > >There is now policy and forms to fill out to place
                        > FHC's on-line.
                        > >What more do they need to know?
                        >
                        > They need to know the reason WHY, Russell. As you
                        > say, the future is
                        > online - it can only be a matter of time before TR
                        > runs are done
                        > online - but there's a surprising amount of
                        > ignorance about online
                        > matters among FHC directors, IME, and in the absence
                        > of that prod
                        > (the announcement) some simply ain't going to do it,
                        > not here in the
                        > UK anyway.
                        >
                        > The thing is, beta testers of OI and latterly
                        > censuses were told they
                        > would be informed when open access to these
                        > facilities was up and
                        > running. Now it is, but no one over here in the UK
                        > seems to know
                        > about it, not the Ordinance Index anyway. Some will
                        > have seen Pres
                        > Hinckley's words on the Census updates, but again,
                        > only if they
                        > regularly log on to the church web site.
                        >
                        > BTW, I see OI updates are taking only a matter of
                        > days to appear on
                        > familysearch. My 27 Nov endowments are up there
                        > already. Excellent!
                        >
                        > Don

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • phil_jeffrey28
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                          First off you need to have a logon id on the church web site. Then
                          call FH support and ask for permission to see the FHC director page.
                          They will in turn pass you to the person that gives your logon ID
                          permission to see the FHC director page. Once activiated next time
                          you logon you can see the page at
                          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/

                          Phil

                          --- In fhctech@y..., vash <vash@s...> wrote:
                          > Hmm, OK, how do I get my director access to the FHC director's
                          page.
                          > I've never even heard of it. (In fact, this is the only forum I'm
                          aware
                          > of for FHCs - hope I don't embarrass my self _too_ bad by admitting
                          > that!).
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Jeff Hedberg
                          >

                          > On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 05:24 PM, phil_jeffrey28 wrote:
                          >
                          > > If your
                          > > Family History Director has access to the FHC directors page it
                          was
                          > > annouced there so shame on him, if he doesn't have access he
                          should
                          > > have.
                        • phil_jeffrey28
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                            The name seems to cahnge depending who you talk to. Some say IGI
                            others call it the OI and I have also heard the IIGI (internet IGI).
                            In any event same thing as far as I am concerned.
                            Phil

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                              > online. Again, there were people who did not realize
                              > that probably within a year or two all FHCs will have
                              > to be online in order to clear names for the temples.

                              That is if you want to do it at the FHC. If it's online you could do
                              it from home, the public library or any were else you had internet
                              access. I would assume if your FHC doesn't have internet access it
                              and others do your FHC will slowly die.

                              Phil
                            • Russell Houlton
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                I'm guessing that it's an issue over cost/benefit since the stake/FHC is
                                responsible for the ongoing costs.

                                >>> Again, there were people who did not realize
                                that probably within a year or two all FHCs will have
                                to be online in order to clear names for the temples. <<<

                                Indeed. A few have asked if there is any need for a FHC if it can all be
                                done at home. I think it will stay for quite awhile as a training/gathering
                                place, but it could well change how it's setup and equipped.

                                Also consider that a FHC is eligible for FREE membership to Ancestry.com.
                                While members can get Ancestry.com, they'll have to pay for it. I think
                                that's on in the range of $100/year. That's in addition to free
                                MyTrees.com.
                              • mhtippetts
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                  --- In fhctech@y..., "Ronald W. Frye" <ronfrye@l...> wrote:
                                  > What is OI?

                                  A little more detailed answer to your question...

                                  In the Nov 9th edition of Church News on page 3 there was a large
                                  article announcing the IGI (International Genealogical Index) has
                                  been "updated with additional information on the Church's
                                  FamilySearch Internet site" and that " it will usually be updated at
                                  least weekly". Also, "this most accurate-ever versionb of the [IGI]
                                  will also include temple ordinance information, although that is
                                  restricted to members" There is a sidebar that explains how a member
                                  would register to gain access. Main item is they need to get their
                                  Membership Record Number and confirmation date from ward/membership
                                  clerk.

                                  So, alas... OI is intended to mean temple Ordinance Information.
                                  Maybe TOI should be used. :) (I had the same question as you so I
                                  check out Church News to see what's going on. Scanned through it
                                  before... just didn't latch onto "OI"). Anyway, OI is not synonymous
                                  with IGI... it is a subset of IGI information.

                                  This is an important development for members involved in geneology,
                                  Family History Center, and all who support the centers (stake
                                  officers and fhc tech support folks.

                                  One... IGI this is the database that is use to clear names for temple
                                  work. Two... the CDs are "two years old" and "members are strongly
                                  encouraged to also check the onling [IGI] to be sure temple work is
                                  not being duplicated." I suspect the FHD will no longer publish
                                  updated CDs.

                                  IMHO this means is that unless Family History Centers have online
                                  access to the IGI they will cease to be relevent as more and more
                                  resources are available online. (The U.S. 1880 Census and the 1881
                                  Canadian and British census was resently added to the FamilySearch
                                  site.) True, members and non-members alike can access this from
                                  home, libraries, etc. But there will always need to be some
                                  guidance, direction, hand holding, and brainstorming from the FHC
                                  staff to help members and others to get the work done. Without being
                                  online they simply won't be able to provide this service nor will it
                                  likely be sought. (Just my humble opionion).

                                  Our stake presidency has been unwilling to help fund DSL service to
                                  our family history center feeling that the center had to be self
                                  sufficient. However the center was unable to maintain a consistent
                                  revenue stream to support the $40/month for the service. So we have
                                  not had internet to the FHC. A compelling case was presented to the
                                  stake presidency that unless the center was online it would soon
                                  cease to be a viable resource for members... or non-members.
                                  Rethinking thinks through and considering the IGI announcement the
                                  stake presidency expanded their thoughts and looked a bit into the
                                  future. Surfice it to say we are now in the process of bringing DLS
                                  to the FHC thanks to supplemental funding from the stake. (This, in
                                  itself, is proving to be an interesting exercise.)

                                  - Mark
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                    I just wish they would put a link somewhere (and easy to find) on the web
                                    site so I wouldn't have to remember the address. Sure it can be put in the
                                    favorites, but that doesn't help when at a different computer and without
                                    the letter that has the URL. Since it is tied to a secure login it
                                    shouldn't matter if anyone not registered gets a permission denied screen.

                                    > First off you need to have a logon id on the church web site. Then
                                    > call FH support and ask for permission to see the FHC director page.
                                    > They will in turn pass you to the person that gives your logon ID
                                    > permission to see the FHC director page. Once activiated next time
                                    > you logon you can see the page at
                                    > http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/
                                    >
                                    > Phil
                                    >
                                    > --- In fhctech@y..., vash <vash@s...> wrote:
                                    > > Hmm, OK, how do I get my director access to the FHC director's
                                    > page.
                                    > > I've never even heard of it. (In fact, this is the only forum I'm
                                    > aware
                                    > > of for FHCs - hope I don't embarrass my self _too_ bad by admitting
                                    > > that!).
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Jeff Hedberg
                                    > >

                                    > > On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 05:24 PM, phil_jeffrey28 wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > If your
                                    > > > Family History Director has access to the FHC directors page it
                                    > was
                                    > > > annouced there so shame on him, if he doesn't have access he
                                    > should
                                    > > > have.

                                  • Russell Houlton
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                      If people see it, they are going to ask for permission to access it.

                                      What would have been nicer is if it was a link added when you logged in to
                                      the FS site. After all, it is the same login.

                                      roups.yahoo.com]On Behalf Of Gary Templeman
                                      Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 8:17 AM
                                      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                                      Subject: Re: [fhctech] Re: OI on familysearch web site

                                      I just wish they would put a link somewhere (and easy to find) on the web
                                      site so I wouldn't have to remember the address. Sure it can be put in the
                                      favorites, but that doesn't help when at a different computer and without
                                      the letter that has the URL. Since it is tied to a secure login it
                                      shouldn't matter if anyone not registered gets a permission denied screen.

                                      Gary Templeman
                                    • w.hay@att.net
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                        Why don't you learn how to use IO before you start complaining. All you have
                                        to do is log onto familysearch and register then it is a part of family
                                        search.saw
                                        > I just wish they would put a link somewhere (and easy to find) on the web
                                        > site so I wouldn't have to remember the address. Sure it can be put in the
                                        > favorites, but that doesn't help when at a different computer and without
                                        > the letter that has the URL. Since it is tied to a secure login it
                                        > shouldn't matter if anyone not registered gets a permission denied screen.
                                        >
                                        > Gary Templeman

                                      • Faye Guthrie
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                          > First off you need to have a logon id on the church web site. Then
                                          > call FH support and ask for permission to see the FHC director page.

                                          Could you please give me the email address for this?

                                          Thanks,

                                          Faye Guthrie
                                          Director
                                          Blackburn FHC
                                          Melbourne
                                          Australia
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                            I thing you misread what I wrote or failed to read the quoted material
                                            below. I was specifically commenting on the DIRECTOR'S area at
                                            FamilySearch.org. I am perfectly aware how to register and log on, and did
                                            so months ago. It is navigating to the Director's area that I wish was
                                            easier to do from any computer. I might be on vacation and want to check
                                            something from a relative's computer, city library, etc. While I know my
                                            username and password, it is unlikely I can remember the URL
                                            http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/

                                            And by the way, it is OI (Ordinance Index), not IO. There is no need to be
                                            rude.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 6, 2002
                                              Russell,

                                              Your suggestion would be great and just adding a link should be a lot easier
                                              than the process of providing OI information to some registered users and
                                              not others. But even if the link was visible to all, if it was clearly
                                              labeled " Family History Center Directors Only" I doubt it would generate
                                              very many formal complaints. Anyone who has done more than a few days of web
                                              surfing has encountered restricted areas so it shouldn't be much of a
                                              surprise.

                                            • phil_jeffrey28 <phil_jeffrey28@hotmail.c
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 16, 2002
                                                Just an update to this post that was done a couple of weeks ago. This
                                                last week the Bishops all recieved offically a letter from the the
                                                church about the the Ordiance Index were it is, how to use it and
                                                how to get password information. This is being translated in the next
                                                2 weeks into about 20 languages. The distribuition indicates to give
                                                it to Stake and District Presidents, Bishops and Branch Presidents,
                                                High Council over Family History, High Priests group leaders, ward
                                                and branch clerks, family history directors, family record
                                                extractors, stake and ward family history consultants. Then to make
                                                sure all involved pass the information on to church members. Sounds
                                                like somebody got the picture it might not have been heard by
                                                everyone. If not heard this time I suspect we have a real big problem.
                                                I am both a ward clerk and Family History Director and got the
                                                information twice.
                                                Phil
                                                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "donbradbury" <donbradbury@c...>

                                              • donbradbury <donbradbury@cix.co.uk>
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 17, 2002
                                                  >Sounds like somebody got the picture it might not have been heard by
                                                  >everyone.

                                                  Yup. Guess where!

                                                  Don