RE: [fhctech] Installing DSL

  • Russell Houlton
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
      Installation will be paid by the church. Only minimal funding (if any) will
      be needed by the stake. Give FHC in SL a call. They can send you Network
      cards (old ISA 10Mb, but hey, it's free.) The church will provide the
      SonicWall firewall (and it's REQUIRED by policy) when you're approved by SLC
      for internet access. All that's left is cabling and a hub. A 10Mb port
      hub can be had from eBay CHEAP. I've seen a 3Com 12 port that's been going
      begging because no one will pay $9.99 + something like $10 shipping.

      Sure, 100Mb would be nice, but then you have to pay more for a hub and buy
      some NICs and it won't make a bit of difference for internet work. (It will
      make a noticeable difference if you set up a server, but it's still way
      ahead of CDs)

      The service provider typically will supply the DSL modem.

      So, to connect it all up, Computers connect to hub, hub connects to
      SonicWall, SonicWall connects to DSL modem.

      BUT. The first thing you MUST do is fill out the paperwork to get approval
      from SLC .... and WAIT. It takes time.... like a month or so. (Some GA
      once said, "The church moves slowly if at all.")

      As for which provider, look at the cost. You won't need anything but a
      connection. Ask both if they have a cheaper plan with less frills. My
      local telephone company provided the equipment as a "self install kit" at no
      charge. The church pays only $49/month.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
        If you install DSL make sure that you get an external modem. Many ISP's provide modems but unless you request it you will probably get an internal modem instead of an external modem. An internal modem is a card that goes in your computer and with this hardware you will not be able to connect all of your PCs to the Internet.

        To make your internet connection available to all your PCs you will need the external modem. External modems have a connection to the DSL line and a connection to your LAN via an RJ-45 connector identical to what you will see on the network cards and a hub. You will end up with the external modem, then the SonicWall firewall from SLC and then network connections to your PCs. The SonicWall provided by SLC includes the capability to network up to four computers from its internal hub. So if you have four or fewer computers you shouldn't need a hub. You can just connect the computers directly to the SonicWall.

        Dennis Stewart
        Meridian East Stake FHC

        Phone:  208-377-8418
        Fax:  208-377-8419

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
          >>> If you install DSL make sure that you get an external modem. <<<

          Good catch. Make sure it's a LAN (RJ-45) type and not a USB.

          >>> The SonicWall provided by SLC includes the capability to network up to
          four computers from its internal hub. <<<

          Not the one they shipped me back in Aug. (SOHO3) It needed an external
          hub. But a 10Mb hub can be had for cheap. But if SLC does have that
          option and the center is unlikely to grow beyond 4 computers in the next
          year or so that would be a good choice.
        • mhtippetts
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
            --- In fhctech@y..., "Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@c...> wrote:
            > Installation will be paid by the church. Only minimal funding (if
            any) will
            > be needed by the stake. Give FHC in SL a call. They can send you
            Network
            > cards (old ISA 10Mb, but hey, it's free.) <snip, snip> My
            > local telephone company provided the equipment as a "self install
            kit" at no
            > charge. The church pays only $49/month.
            >
            > <snip>

            "The church pay $49/month."???? Do you mean that is what your DSL
            provider charges and the FHC/stake pays or have you somehow figured a
            way to get SLC to pay the $49/mo?

            Our local phone co. (SBC/yahoo... old pac bell) has adsl for
            384Kbps/1.5Kbps - 128Kbps for $40/mo. requires 1 yr contract. With
            that you get 1 dynamic IP address, free $99 modem (probably card),
            firewall software, and a whole car load of Yahoo stuff (overhead
            baggage). They don't offer the service without the yahoo stuff.
            wish we could just get vanilla adsl use SLC hardware/software and MSL
            ips.
          • Louis Puster
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
              SLC will pay for installation.  SLC will NOT pay recurring monthly charges.

              A little known fact:  Even though your telephone company owns the wire that brings DSL service to you, you probably do NOT have to use them as your ISP.  Contact your local ISPs and see if they can provide DSL service.  The local companies can be more flexible than your telephone company.  They might agree to delete unneeded services (mailboxes and Web pages) for a reduced fee and maybe give your FHC a discount on top of that, especially if you don't make a secret about how nice the ISP was to you.  Our ISP, Net-Express, did both for us here in Knoxville, Tennessee.

              Louis.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
                No, I dashed that off before running out. "The church" in this case is the
                FHC/Stake. I'm just the tech guy, how the bills are paid is someone else's'
                problem. <g> As long as I'm doing what I can to keep the bills down ....

                I lucked out. The only modem they have is the "normal" one. I didn't have
                to ask for anything special.

                >>> The local companies can be more flexible than your telephone company.
                They might agree to delete unneeded services (mailboxes and Web pages) for a
                reduced fee and maybe give your FHC a discount on top of that <<<

                True. However, everyone has to use the phone company's lines. As such, the
                local companies may not have as much margin to play with. I know the local
                ones are struggling over the whole situation. It pays to shop around. I
                admit, I was lazy. But I don't have to worry about Verizon going out of
                business.