Missing IGI data

  • phil_jeffrey28
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      This is a cross post from another FHC posting I found interesting and
      figured others might also.

      Phil

      From: beldin4@a...
      Date: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:52 pm
      Subject: Internet IGI problem

      Hi All,
      A ward member called me yesterday to ask me why he could not
      find his
      ancestor's baptism and endowment work on the internet site although
      the
      sealing info is there and that he had previously found all the
      ordinance work
      on the CD-ROMs at the Family History Center.
      I called Salt Lake and they explained to me that contrary to
      the recent
      Church News article which makes it sound like all is up and running
      smoothly,
      they are still adding info to the site and it should be considered a
      work in
      progress.
      I believe that the missing names are at least in part a carry
      over from
      the 1999 IGI CD-Rom release.
      A gr grandfather whom I had found on the older IGI CD Roms was
      no
      longer to be found in the newest release. Fortunately, I had the IGI
      printout and was at the Family History Library when I discovered
      this. I
      subsequently learned that a great many names (1000s?) were left off
      the
      newest IGI CD Roms (those found in your FHCs) and apparently still
      have not
      been added to the internet site. The Church is aware of this glitch
      and is
      working on it. (My gr grandfather is listed on the FamilySearch.org
      site
      showing the work I have done for him, but the work by an unknown
      relative
      still does not show up).
      Here's the Church's official statement:

      The reason for my call to Salt Lake:
      The ordinance record appears on the CD IGI but not on the
      internet IGI.

      The Church's official reply sent to me via email:
      No records from the International Genealogical Index (IGI) have
      been
      lost. Due to a system problem, some records that were previously on
      the IGI
      were not published on the current version. There is no exact list of
      what
      groups of records are missing from the system.
      We are aware of this problem and are taking measures to publish
      the
      records as soon as possible. Please do not resubmit any of these
      names to the
      IGI. Rather, we ask you to check the IGI often, as new records are
      added
      every day.

      Margie Beldin