RE: [fhctech] directory of members

  • Alan Whitcomb
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002

      I am not NOW a Clerk, but I used to be. It was really easy for MS Word or Excel to read the memout.dat file. I don’t see why MS Works should not do it.

      From: "Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>
      > When I've looked in the past, being able to dig stuff out of MIS directly
      > was near impossible.  I couldn't make heads or tails out of the file
      > format.  But the system does have a feature where the data can be exported
      > in a fixed field format.  Then it's just a matter of finding a program to
      > massage it and turn it into what you're looking for.

      Since we now have a site license for MS Works 6.0, I wonder if we could
      import MEMOUT.DAT into MS Works? You'd have to import each ward/branch
      separately, and somehow tell the import which unit is which.

      Dana

    • mhtippetts
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
        I know this is probably off subject but since a goodly number of tech
        support are also the stake computer techs (aka asst stake clerks)
        I'll post my question as the lsdclerks list isn't reliable.... and i
        need get to the solution quickly.

        I have been given the task to help publish the stake directory for
        2003... more specifially, a listing of members in the stake for the
        directory. The person who did it last year moved... and with him the
        knowledge of his process.

        The problem: I need a listing for each household, phone no., street
        address, city, zip, and ward. SMIS just doesn't do it. I get the
        abbreviated members list (household, phone, ward, street address,
        address code) and the mailing list (household, street address, city,
        zip).

        So how can I extract the info I need from SMIS directly... if
        possible? Alternatively, if I could combine the two list someway
        then I would have the info needed. But alas, I'm not a "programmer"
        or a DB guru so it would have to be pretty straight forward.

        I called SLC support... not much help on this issue.

        Any thoughts, hints, flat out directions would be verrrry much
        appreciated.

        (wish the LDSClerks list wasn't so flakey... thank you for your
        patience with this. I think this is an important topic as I know
        every stake is dealing with this somehow before the beginning of
        2003. Our stake is trying to get it together to pass out the
        directories at tithing settlement with members.)

        - Mark
        Davis California Stake
      • Justin Masters - FMEC
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
          Mark, if you want I can help program up something to help you. Email
          me offline (I'm doing this in perl, so if you want to, you can
          download perl and run it later (and hopefully it will run, as I'm
          doing it on a unix system and you'll be on a PC).

          Justin

          El Dorado Hills, FHC Tech support (somewhat inactive) & ward
          membership clerk.

          Verily, mhtippetts did write:
          | I know this is probably off subject but since a goodly number of tech
          | support are also the stake computer techs (aka asst stake clerks)
          | I'll post my question as the lsdclerks list isn't reliable.... and i
          | need get to the solution quickly.
          |
          | I have been given the task to help publish the stake directory for
          | 2003... more specifially, a listing of members in the stake for the
          | directory. The person who did it last year moved... and with him the
          | knowledge of his process.
          |
          | The problem: I need a listing for each household, phone no., street
          | address, city, zip, and ward. SMIS just doesn't do it. I get the
          | abbreviated members list (household, phone, ward, street address,
          | address code) and the mailing list (household, street address, city,
          | zip).
          |
          | So how can I extract the info I need from SMIS directly... if
          | possible? Alternatively, if I could combine the two list someway
          | then I would have the info needed. But alas, I'm not a "programmer"
          | or a DB guru so it would have to be pretty straight forward.
          |
          | I called SLC support... not much help on this issue.
          |
          | Any thoughts, hints, flat out directions would be verrrry much
          | appreciated.
          |
          | (wish the LDSClerks list wasn't so flakey... thank you for your
          | patience with this. I think this is an important topic as I know
          | every stake is dealing with this somehow before the beginning of
          | 2003. Our stake is trying to get it together to pass out the
          | directories at tithing settlement with members.)
          |
          | - Mark
          | Davis California Stake
          |

          | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
          | Community email addresses:
          | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
          | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

          Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
          Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
          1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
        • Suzanne Siders
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
            Mark,
            This isn't an answer to your question. I just wanted to tell you that I
            lived in your stake for 10 months a few years ago, and was given a beautiful
            stake directory when we first arrived. I was very impressed. So I hope you
            continue the tradition. In the other 4 stakes I've lived in during the past
            10 years, I never saw a stake directory. I recently discovered that our
            son's Boulder Colorado Stake also has a beautiful Stake Directory like
            yours. So I have given a copy to my stake presidency in Phoenix Arizona to
            copy the idea for 2003, and they are working on it. I am a Family History
            Center Director, and I appreciate the way every member in the Boulder
            Colorado Stake has a stake directory, which lists the Family History Center
            hours, address, phone number, and staff members, as well as the family
            history consultants for each ward. No one in the stake has the excuse that
            they didn't know they had a Family History Center or a ward family history
            consultant to help them. The stake calendar included in the directory has a
            monthly Stake Family History Help night scheduled for any member of the
            stake to attend.
            Suzanne

[...]

          • Richard N. Simonsen
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
              I have been producing stake directories for 20 years. It can become involved
              and I hesitate to get involved but you sound like you need help.

              What is the format of your directory? Do you want the Stake and Ward
              officers alos listed? How are you going to print it?
              How knowledgeable are you with computers(or someone who could help you)?

              The way I have been producting the direcotry is using the MEMOUT.DAT files
              created by either MIS at the ward level or SMIS at the stake level and
              extracting the information need for a line. The line in my directory looks
              like this:

              123-4567 SMITH, JOHN & MARY 1234 MAIN ST
              XX 99999
              Phone, names, address, city, and zip.
              I list by ward and have an index of all the names at the end that shows what
              ward they are in.

              Let me know what you have in mind and I might either send you some programs
              or at least give you suggestions on how to proceed.
              The biggest problem is getting the information correct. You will be
              surprised how full of mistakes your records are. Get working on accuracy
              now.
              Good luck,
              Richard

              mhtippetts wrote:

              > I know this is probably off subject but since a goodly number of tech
              > support are also the stake computer techs (aka asst stake clerks)
              > I'll post my question as the lsdclerks list isn't reliable.... and i
              > need get to the solution quickly.
              >
              > I have been given the task to help publish the stake directory for
              > 2003... more specifially, a listing of members in the stake for the
              > directory. The person who did it last year moved... and with him the
              > knowledge of his process.
              >
              > The problem: I need a listing for each household, phone no., street
              > address, city, zip, and ward. SMIS just doesn't do it. I get the
              > abbreviated members list (household, phone, ward, street address,
              > address code) and the mailing list (household, street address, city,
              > zip).
              >
              > So how can I extract the info I need from SMIS directly... if
              > possible? Alternatively, if I could combine the two list someway
              > then I would have the info needed. But alas, I'm not a "programmer"
              > or a DB guru so it would have to be pretty straight forward.
              >
              > I called SLC support... not much help on this issue.
              >
              > Any thoughts, hints, flat out directions would be verrrry much
              > appreciated.
              >
              > (wish the LDSClerks list wasn't so flakey... thank you for your
              > patience with this. I think this is an important topic as I know
              > every stake is dealing with this somehow before the beginning of
              > 2003. Our stake is trying to get it together to pass out the
              > directories at tithing settlement with members.)
              >
              > - Mark
              > Davis California Stake

            • Mark Tippetts
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002

                Here's the reply I gave Justin, from El Dorado Stake, offline.  Right know I'm just working on the list of members for the directory.  All the other stuff like calendar, stake officers, ward officers and such are done.... Even a weekly lesson schedule for Gospel doctrine, Priesthood & relief Society.  The list of members is the last to do.  We will print it out all pages and deliver to a commercial copy center for production.

                I know my way around a computer mainly by survival as I use it constantly.  But it is mostly at the application level as in MS Word, Excel, WordPerfect, etc.  I also have some rudimentary database ability and have written a some SQL queries.  Again, the solution will have to be pretty basic.  What ever it is it would be great to share with others who may be struggling with the same problem.

                Response for Suzanne (ex Davis Stake member)... if we ever even thought of not producing the directory, calendar, etc. I think there would be a insurrection form all in the stake.  Couldn't live without it.

                -          Mark

                -

                Reply to Justin.....

                Justin, thanks for the offer.  This is such a common task, happens every year in every stake.  I'm really surprised that there isn't a common report to produce this.  The data is certainly available but not menu driven way to get to it from within SMIS.

                Again, the fields that are needed (and using myself as a sample) are:

                Family              (Tippetts, Mark & Pat)

                Phone No.         (530-795-1046)

                Ward                (Win)

                Address            (1005 Village Circle)

                Town                 (Winters)

                Zipcode             (95694)

                Comment on head of house:

                If the husband is a member he is listed first with his wife who may or may not be a member.

                If the husband is not a member and the wife is she is listed first with the husband listed second

                If the head of house is a single woman of course she would be listed alone.

                Comment on Ward;

                In SMIS each ward/unit is identified with a shortened name such as D1 for Davis 1st Ward

                If something could be programmed successfully that would work from the dos prompt it would certainly be a blessing to each stake.  Perhaps it could then be posted on FHCTech (even though it is off topic).  Or maybe SLC would be willing to distribute it.

                What is your stake clerk, Asst clerk, or Exec Sec. doing in your stake to produce this list?

                I have two emails (work and home)  mhtippetts@... is my work email.  mhtippe5033@... is my home email.  I would like any response to go to both if you can.

                <snip, snip>.

              • Russell Houlton
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                  >>> the lsdclerks list isn't reliable.... and i
                  need get to the solution quickly. <<<

                  It seems to work for me at the moment.

                  When I've looked in the past, being able to dig stuff out of MIS directly
                  was near impossible. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the file
                  format. But the system does have a feature where the data can be exported
                  in a fixed field format. Then it's just a matter of finding a program to
                  massage it and turn it into what you're looking for.

                  - Russell -
                • Dana A. Repouille
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                    From: "Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@...>
                    > When I've looked in the past, being able to dig stuff out of MIS directly
                    > was near impossible. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the file
                    > format. But the system does have a feature where the data can be exported
                    > in a fixed field format. Then it's just a matter of finding a program to
                    > massage it and turn it into what you're looking for.

                    Since we now have a site license for MS Works 6.0, I wonder if we could
                    import MEMOUT.DAT into MS Works? You'd have to import each ward/branch
                    separately, and somehow tell the import which unit is which.

                    Dana
                  • phil_jeffrey28
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                      Mark
                      You might take a look at LDSWare's membership exporter at
                      www.ldsware.com. As I don't have stake data available I am not sure
                      if it will print the ward but it does all the other things you asked.
                      It takes the memout.dat (ASCII) file and prints it in either word or
                      excel format. Works great for ward listings. If it doesn't do what
                      you want the programmers will be glad to make a change. The great
                      thing is it's easy (anybody can do it) and it repeatable.
                      Phil Jeffrey

                      --- In fhctech@y..., "mhtippetts" <mhtippetts@u...> wrote:
                      > I know this is probably off subject but since a goodly number of
                      tech
                      > support are also the stake computer techs (aka asst stake clerks)
                      > I'll post my question as the lsdclerks list isn't reliable.... and
                      > need get to the solution quickly.
                      >
                      > I have been given the task to help publish the stake directory for
                      > 2003... more specifially, a listing of members in the stake for the
                      > directory. The person who did it last year moved... and with him
                      the
                      > knowledge of his process.
                      >
                      > The problem: I need a listing for each household, phone no.,
                      street
                      > address, city, zip, and ward. SMIS just doesn't do it. I get the
                      > abbreviated members list (household, phone, ward, street address,
                      > address code) and the mailing list (household, street address,
                      city,
                      > zip).
                      >
                      > So how can I extract the info I need from SMIS directly... if
                      > possible? Alternatively, if I could combine the two list someway
                      > then I would have the info needed. But alas, I'm not
                      a "programmer"
                      > or a DB guru so it would have to be pretty straight forward.
                      >
                      > I called SLC support... not much help on this issue.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts, hints, flat out directions would be verrrry much
                      > appreciated.
                      >
                      > (wish the LDSClerks list wasn't so flakey... thank you for your
                      > patience with this. I think this is an important topic as I know
                      > every stake is dealing with this somehow before the beginning of
                      > 2003. Our stake is trying to get it together to pass out the
                      > directories at tithing settlement with members.)
                      >
                      > - Mark
                      > Davis California Stake
                    • vash
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                        I'll second Russel. I had to do labels for a mailing out ward did (not
                        the stake mind you, so I don't know if it's different).
                        I exported the data into a (caret) separated file.

                        I then ran the text file through a text editor that changed all
                        (caret)s to (tab)s.
                        Then I created a database in File Maker Pro (yes, I'm a mac user, try
                        not to shoot), and set up fields for all of the different entries that
                        came out of MIS, and imported this newly tab delimited file into it.

                        From there I had to do a bit of tweaking and scripting so that my
                        labels would correctly name "Husband" and "Wife" "Last Name", or just
                        "First Name" "Last Name", given what was appropriate. (it can be a
                        little tricky if a married woman has a husband who is not a member,
                        depending on how your ward clerk entered the information into MIS).

                        The scripting part of it there would probably be of no real help, as
                        whatever database application you run it through will need different
                        parameters.

                        I don't know if the stake has a similar program to MIS of all members
                        in the stake, but even if it doesn't you could collect the memout.dat
                        files from each ward and go from there.

                        Good Luck! And let us know how you make out.

                        Jeff Hedberg

                        On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 07:52 PM, Russell Houlton wrote:

                        > need get to the solution quickly. <<<
                        >
                        > It seems to work for me at the moment.
                        >
                        > When I've looked in the past, being able to dig stuff out of MIS
                        > directly
                        > was near impossible. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the file
                        > format. But the system does have a feature where the data can be
                        > exported
                        > in a fixed field format. Then it's just a matter of finding a program
                        > massage it and turn it into what you're looking for.
                        >
                        > - Russell -
                      • Justin Masters - FMEC
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                          Much of this twiddling should be unnecessary for mailing labels as
                          it's built into the MIS program. You just have to specify what
                          format of output you need (ie, Avery 5160 type labels - 3 wide, x long
                          (10 or 11, can't remember).

                          and the church records will always show head of house as 1st person.
                          Not sure if the local MIS people (ie, non-member spouses) are exported
                          to the stake level, but it probably is.

                          Justin

                          Verily, vash did write:

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 12, 2002
                            it's built into the MIS program. .....

                            and the church records will always show head of house as 1st person. <<<

                            That's the problem. MIS will only "address" the head of house. It won't
                            address it to the couple. Sure, the letter will get to where it's supposed
                            to go, but sometimes the difference of who it's addressed to is important.

                            - Russell -
                          • vash
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 13, 2002
                              Yes, that was exactly the problem. It mattered to my bishop, so I
                              managed to figure a way around it.

                              Jeff

                              On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 11:32 PM, Russell Houlton wrote:

                              > it's built into the MIS program. .....
                              >
                              > and the church records will always show head of house as 1st person.
                              > <<<
                              >

                              > That's the problem. MIS will only "address" the head of house. It
                              > won't
                              > address it to the couple. Sure, the letter will get to where it's
                              > supposed
                              > to go, but sometimes the difference of who it's addressed to is
                              > important.
                              >
                              > - Russell -

                            • mhtippetts
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002
                                Took a look at it but it requires a fairly recent version of MIS.
                                SMIS hasn't been updated for years so the LSDware program wouldn't
                                recognize the memout.dat as a valid format.

                                On to plan B (uh... it think now I'm up to plan G)

                                --- In fhctech@y..., "phil_jeffrey28" <phil_jeffrey28@h...> wrote:
                                > Mark
                                > You might take a look at LDSWare's membership exporter at
                                > www.ldsware.com.
                              • Justin Masters - FMEC
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002
                                  Mark I tried calling you to arrange working with you on this, but have
                                  been busy since. As for the version of MIS, the church pushes
                                  upgrades on a fairly regular basis. You're notified that there's a
                                  message from the church that is transmitted to your computer. Then
                                  you follow the instructions to upgrade it. We had a new version as of
                                  a few months ago.

                                  I'm not sure on the SMIS version though...

                                  Justin

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002

                                    Talked with SLC on Tuesday to see if they had any solutions (thought maybe so as producing stake directory has to be a real common need).  Nope... they didn't have much to offer.  Suggested we do a ascii output and manipulate the data outside smis but couldn't give any helpful suggestions as to what application to use for manipulating data.  Said we're pretty much stuck with what SMIS comes with and that it hasn't been updated for years.  All updates have been focused on the ward MIS.  I suspect that all development effort has gone to the new Windows Leadership program which is a hybrid of MIS/FIS.  Hopefully they will take attention to this need.

                                    - Mark

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002
                                      I'm working on something right now for you... Fortuitously, I just
                                      had something come in the mail today that I subscribed to which may
                                      give me the solution that I need for you.

                                      I'll try to get it done in the next few days, okay?

                                      We'll hash it out via email. I'll try to put it together for use on
                                      DOS based machines and hopefully small enough to put on a floppy.
                                      (That sounds odd, but I'm doing this in perl (as I haven't programmed
                                      C in years)) and compiling it.

                                      If I get a chance, I'll poke at the C code to process the data, which
                                      should be MUCH smaller and faster. But I am *REALLY* rusty on C.

                                      Justin

                                      Verily, Mark Tippetts did write:
                                      | Talked with SLC on Tuesday to see if they had any solutions (thought maybe
                                      | so as producing stake directory has to be a real common need). Nope... they
                                      | didn't have much to offer. Suggested we do a ascii output and manipulate
                                      | the data outside smis but couldn't give any helpful suggestions as to what
                                      | application to use for manipulating data. Said we're pretty much stuck with
                                      | what SMIS comes with and that it hasn't been updated for years. All updates
                                      | have been focused on the ward MIS. I suspect that all development effort
                                      | has gone to the new Windows Leadership program which is a hybrid of MIS/FIS.
                                      | Hopefully they will take attention to this need.
                                      |

                                      | - Mark

                                      | |
                                      | | On to plan B (uh... it think now I'm up to plan G)
                                      | |
                                      | | --- In fhctech@y..., "phil_jeffrey28" <phil_jeffrey28@h...> wrote:
                                      | | > Mark
                                      | | > You might take a look at LDSWare's membership exporter at
                                      | | > www.ldsware.com.
                                      | |
                                      | |
                                      | |

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002

                                        Great... thanks.  And I bet that you stake clerk staff will like it when you get done too.  - Mark

                                        I'm working on something right now for you...  Fortuitously, I just
                                        had something come in the mail today that I subscribed to which may
                                        give me the solution that I need for you.

                                        I'll try to get it done in the next few days, okay?

                                        We'll hash it out via email.  I'll try to put it together for use on
                                        DOS based machines and hopefully small enough to put on a floppy.
                                        (That sounds odd, but I'm doing this in perl (as I haven't programmed
                                        C in years)) and compiling it.

                                        If I get a chance, I'll poke at the C code to process the data, which
                                        should be MUCH smaller and faster.  But I am *REALLY* rusty on C.

                                        Justin

                                        Verily, Mark Tippetts did write:
                                        | Talked with SLC on Tuesday to see if they had any solutions (thought maybe
                                        | so as producing stake directory has to be a real common need).  Nope... they
                                        | didn't have much to offer.  Suggested we do a ascii output and manipulate
                                        | the data outside smis but couldn't give any helpful suggestions as to what
                                        | application to use for manipulating data.  Said we're pretty much stuck with
                                        | what SMIS comes with and that it hasn't been updated for years.  All updates
                                        | have been focused on the ward MIS.  I suspect that all development effort
                                        | has gone to the new Windows Leadership program which is a hybrid of MIS/FIS.
                                        | Hopefully they will take attention to this need.
                                        |

                                        | - Mark

                                        | |
                                        | |
                                        | |

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002
                                          I'll ask him... he lives around the corner from me. :-)

                                          Justin

                                          Verily, Mark Tippetts did write:
                                          | Great... thanks. And I bet that you stake clerk staff will like it when you
                                          | get done too. - Mark

                                          | |
                                          | |
                                          | |
                                          | |
                                          | | I'm not sure on the SMIS version though...
                                          | |
                                          | |
                                          | | Justin
                                          | |
                                          | | Verily, mhtippetts did write:
                                          | | | Took a look at it but it requires a fairly recent version of MIS.
                                          | | | SMIS hasn't been updated for years so the LSDware program wouldn't
                                          | | | recognize the memout.dat as a valid format.
                                          | | |
                                          | | | On to plan B (uh... it think now I'm up to plan G)
                                          | | |
                                          | | |
                                          | | |
                                          | | |
                                          | | | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/ <http://fhctech.org/>
                                          | <http://fhctech.org/ <http://fhctech.org/> >
                                          | | | Community email addresses:
                                          | | | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                                          | | | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          | | | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:
                                          | | |
                                          | | | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          | http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                                          | | <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> >
                                          | | |
                                          | | |
                                          | |
                                          | |
                                          | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          | | --
                                          | | Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916
                                          | 356-6735
                                          | | Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916
                                          | 377-2288
                                          | | 1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630
                                          | jmasters@...
                                          | |
                                          | | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/ <http://fhctech.org/> <http://fhctech.org/
                                          | <http://fhctech.org/> >
                                          | | Community email addresses:
                                          | | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                                          | | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          | | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:
                                          | |
                                          | | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                                          | | <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> >
                                          | Terms of Service.
                                          | |

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 14, 2002
                                            Well, there is something else in the works that may "come to pass" before 2003 that might lessen the need for for a printed stake directory.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 15, 2002
                                              Verily, Russell Houlton did write:
                                              | Well, there is something else in the works that may "come to pass" before
                                              | 2003 that might lessen the need for for a printed stake directory.

                                              ...and that might be....??? white stones? new version of SMIS?
                                              Abolition of stakes and going to wards or regions? :-)

                                              They're going to have a new version of MIS soon I would guess, after
                                              the time span of recommends went to 2 years this month... And the
                                              current version expires them in a year.

                                              So, we're waiting... :-)

                                              Justin