Win2000 and Folio Bound Views - problems

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2002
      I'm finding out that the three programs that use the Folio Bound
      Views search engine - Australian Vitals, Brit 1851, and LDS Emmigrant
      Roster - all work randomly on my Win2000 computers. Sometimes the
      program starts up fine and sometimes the program locks on startup.

      Has anyone else come across this? Any options that anyone can think
      of.

      My system is all networked together. But I do not believe the
      problem is related to the network. The problem seems to be in the
      computer itself. Only the Gateways with the win2k operating system
      are having trouble. My 95 and 98 machines are ok.

      Thanks
    • Russell Houlton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
        Does the pattern change if you are logged in as the admin rather then the
        patron? It might be a user rights issue. Win2K is much more secure the
        Win9x. Which means that you can make security so tight that things won't
        run. With Win9x you have to go out of your way to add any kind of security
        and even then it's hard to make programs not run.

        I'm finding out that the three programs that use the Folio Bound
        Views search engine - Australian Vitals, Brit 1851, and LDS Emmigrant
        Roster - all work randomly on my Win2000 computers. Sometimes the
        program starts up fine and sometimes the program locks on startup.

        Has anyone else come across this? Any options that anyone can think
        of.

        My system is all networked together. But I do not believe the
        problem is related to the network. The problem seems to be in the
        computer itself. Only the Gateways with the win2k operating system
        are having trouble. My 95 and 98 machines are ok.

        Thanks
      • Justin Masters - FMEC
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
          You might try to see if there's some kind of a timeout relating to a
          remotely mounted path. I believe the W9x machines try to keep a
          persistent connection and just timeout. The W2K machines just
          "unmount" the intermittent path. You might try the following
          experiment to see if this is the case - try to go to the mapped drive
          BEFORE you run the program. That will re-establish the mapped path.

          Justin

          Verily, Dave did write:
          | I'm finding out that the three programs that use the Folio Bound
          | Views search engine - Australian Vitals, Brit 1851, and LDS Emmigrant
          | Roster - all work randomly on my Win2000 computers. Sometimes the
          | program starts up fine and sometimes the program locks on startup.
          |
          | Has anyone else come across this? Any options that anyone can think
          | of.
          |
          | My system is all networked together. But I do not believe the
          | problem is related to the network. The problem seems to be in the
          | computer itself. Only the Gateways with the win2k operating system
          | are having trouble. My 95 and 98 machines are ok.
          |
          | Thanks
          |

          | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
          | Community email addresses:
          | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
          | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

          Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
          Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
          1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
            The pattern is the same whethere admin or not. In searching the web,
            I've read where other Folio programs (non church ones) have had the
            same issue with W2K, but I have not come across an answer yet.
            Thanks for the thoughts.

            --- In fhctech@y..., "Russell Houlton" <R_Houlton@c...> wrote:
            > Does the pattern change if you are logged in as the admin rather
            then the
            > patron? It might be a user rights issue. Win2K is much more
            secure the
            > Win9x. Which means that you can make security so tight that things
            won't
            > run. With Win9x you have to go out of your way to add any kind of
            security
            > and even then it's hard to make programs not run.

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
              The LDS emmigrant roster program is actually a stand alone on the
              computer. All the files related to it reside on the hard drive of
              each computer so it does not appear to be a network connection. The
              other two programs lock up before they even have to access the
              network. I found, while searching the web, other non church Folio
              programs that have had an issue with W2K, but no good solution was
              given. I'll have to call SLC and see if they have run across this,
              since they have been putting out computers with W2K. Thanks for the
              thoughts.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916
              356-6735
              > Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916
              377-2288