RE: [fhctech] Running Dos Family Search on a Gateway P3 550

  • Russell Houlton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
      It sticks in my mind you had to set aside some Extended/Expanded memory (I
      always get those confused) Be sure you've got that set. Usually FS is very
      picky and if it's not setup it won't run.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
        Tom,

        Here is the config that works on our PCs.

        emm=ram
        dos=high, umb
        device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
        files=100

        Having said that I think you should also check the memory allocation by checking the .pif associated with the FS program. There was another response to your question from Russell Houlton that also suggested checking the memory allocation. That is one of my concerns. To do this, as I recall, you go to the directory where the executable is stored and right click on the executable. That will bring up a dialog box that shows what the memory resources are that are associated with the program. Make sure that the extended memory is in auto or at least 1000 kB.

        We fought one of our computers with this software for weeks before we returned it to the shop only to learn that the processor was bad. And it only showed any problems when trying to run FS.

        Good luck.

        Dennis Stewart
        Meridian East Stake
        dstewart@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
           >>>  To do this, as I recall, you go to the directory where the executable is stored and right click on the executable. That will bring up a dialog box that shows what the memory resources are that are associated with the program. Make sure that the extended memory is in auto or at least 1000 kB.  <<<

          I think it's associated with the icon that launches the program, but I could be wrong.  It may work either way.

           >>>  We fought one of our computers with this software for weeks before we returned it to the shop only to learn that the processor was bad. And it only showed any problems when trying to run FS.  <<<

          Cache memory problems are a royal pain to find and fix.  I've got one machine now that corrupted itself twice and I have no idea what's wrong.  Since we're soon to get more computers, I'm just junking it.  (486/66)  You may want to try by unzipping large ZIP files.  That's what triggered problems with another machine I fought.