Need Media Player Help

  • philbessjr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      This may be a little off subject, but I know someone out there can
      help (you have been GREAT in the past!!!).

      I am trying to help a sister who wants to watch conference this
      wekend on the net, as she has before, but her Windows media player
      has quit working. She has a stand-alone Dell computer with Win98SE
      and a DSL connection. She connects to the net and goes to lds.org
      and tries to view old conference talks or test the player, but she
      gets the following message: "Error # C00D10B3 Unable to access this
      media, you may not be connected to the network." All of the
      troubleshooting helps I have tried don't help.

      I imagine I have missed something in the setup somewhere which makes
      it appear that the computer is on a network, but I have not be able
      to find it. Any ideas to solve the problem will be greatly
      appreciated.

      Phil Besselievre
      Fort worth, Texas
    • Rick Klemetson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        I don't have a 98 machine here right now to check the settings to see if it applies.
        You might want to uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

        Whenever I have a problem like this, I first check google.com for C00D10B3 (this may be for XP)

        Al,

        Here are some step by step directions to help out.

        First, you should make a backup of your registry in case something goes =
        wrong.
        Here's how:
        Click Start/Run and type regedit then click OK to start the registry =
        editor.
        Now, on the menu in RegEdit, click Registry/Export Registry File.
        Make sure the export range is set to 'All'.
        In the Filename space, type C:\regbakup.reg and press enter.
        A backup has now been placed on C:\=20

        Editing
        1) Click the '+' sign next to the folder named HKEY_CURRENT_USER and it =
        should expand.
        2) Follow the list of folders down until you see the one named =
        'Software' and click the '+' sign next to it; now it expands.
        3) Search down the list and find the folder named 'Microsoft' and click =
        the '+' sign; and it expands.
        4) Go down to the 'MediaPlayer' folder, click the '+' sign; and you see =
        just a few more folders.
        5) Click once on the 'Preferences' folder to highlight it.
        In the right-hand pane, you should see a list of 'Name' and 'Data' =
        values.
        6) Now, right-click on the 'Preferences' folder and choose 'New', then =
        choose 'DWORD Value'
        7) Now there should be a new Key visible in the right-hand pane waiting =
        for you to edit it.
        8) Type the new name 'ForceOnline' (no quotes, no spaces) and press =
        enter.=20
        9) If you make a mistake at this point, you will not be able to rename =
        the key - you will need to delete it and go back to #6.
        10) Now, double-click on the 'ForceOnline' name value you just entered =
        and enter 1 as the data value (Hexadecimal should already be selected) =
        then click OK.
        11) Close the Registry Editor.

        You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect even =
        though the article didn't specifically mention it.
        I hope this is of help to you.

        SR

        - I found this for XP

        5123 » 'Windows Media Player error C00D10B3 - unable to access the network' from Windows XP?

        If you have a broadband connection to the internet, Windows Media Player may issue the following error:

        Windows Media Player Error C00D10B3 - unable to access the network.

        To workaround this issue:

        1. Stop all instances of Windows Media Player.

        2. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:

        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences.

        3. Add a ForceOnline Value Name, as a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 1.

        and this from Microsoft for XP

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q317101

        Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q317101
        Error Message: Windows Media Player Error C00D10B3 - Unable to Access the Network

        Error Message: Windows Media Player Error C00D10B3 - Unable to Access the Network

        • Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP Home Edition
        • Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP Professional
        • Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1
        • Microsoft Windows Media Player 7
        IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
          Q256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

        Symptoms

        On some computers that use broadband network connections (for example, ATM), Windows Media Player may not be able to connect to the Internet, and you may receive the following error message:
        Windows Media Player Error C00D10B3 - unable to access the network

        Resolution

        WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

        To resolve this issue, use Registry Editor to manually create a DWORD registry value that is named "ForceOnline" (with a value of 1) in the following registry key:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences
        First Published

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q317101