Re: [fhctech] My instructions for using IGI Internet

  • Mark E. Gower
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30, 2002
      NOTE

      Currently, the IGI Internet is DOWN for maintenance and is not
      available.

      Mark E. Gower
      Mesa, Arizona, USA
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2002
        I have been on the familysearch.org website and don't see a box
        to check when I login to say I am LDS. I also don't see anything on
        the edit my information page to be able to put my membership # and
        confirmation date in. What am I missing?

        Also do we know how current the OI info on the we site is? Is
        it dynamiclly updated from the temples? or is it the same thing as
        what is on the old IGI disks?

        --- In fhctech@y..., Shanna Jones <shannajones@c...> wrote:
        > The TempleReady Process by - Shanna Jones
        > Submissions with Personal Ancestral File, IGI Internet and
        TempleReady
        > for Windows
        > While there are several ways to prepare names to clear for
        ordinance
        > work in TempleReady, we suggest the following approach. This
        process
        > will save you time by avoiding duplicate temple work and
        unnecessary steps.
        > Step 1. Gather and verify information: Enter family information
        into PAF
        > 5 correctly. Check: Home records - Living relatives - Ancestral
        File -
        > International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Social Security Death
        > Pedigree Resource File, ETC
        > Step 2. Organize, make additions and corrections:
        > Downloading from Ancestral File and putting names directly in
        Temple
        > Ready is not acceptable! Downloading files from the many databases
        on
        > the Internet and putting names directly in TempleReady is not
        acceptable!
        > Strive for accurate records. Clean up your file by using
        Check/Repair
        > (found under File) and Possible Problems (Found under Print
        > Report/Lists). Also check over for possible duplications and other
        > problems. Use PAF Pal to change abbreviations.
        > Step 3. Update your records:
        > The TempleReady for Windows Program has a step to assist you in the
        > verify stage of this work.
        > A. At home, create a Backup of your PAF 3, 4 or 5 files. Remember
        to do
        > a Check/Fix of your records first.
        > B. Bring your Backup to the Family History Center. Go to one of the
        > computers that holds the TempleReady for Windows Program. Enter the
        PAF
        > 5 Program on the same computer. Restore your files by selecting
        restore
        > under File and make a note of your file name.
        > C. Exit the PAF 5 Program. Enter the TempleReady for Windows
        program.
        > The TempleReady title screen will appear.
        > D. Select the button UPDATE MY RECORDS.
        > After a few moments the Select a File screen will appear. Find your
        PAF
        > family data file. You may have to click on Browse.
        > When your file is visible Highlight it and click on OPEN.
        > E. The Select Families and Individuals screen will appear. Make
        sure a
        > check mark appears in the box titled "Show only records with some
        > ordinances not recorded". Mark the Select box by each family. (Or
        if you
        > wish to select your whole file, go to Edit and click on Select All
        but
        > only if you can handle as many names as you have. Click CANCEL when
        you
        > reach 300 to 400 families and then repeat the process as necessary
        until
        > they are all updated.) If you have a lot of names to update, you
        can
        > select groups in GEDCOM files and use PAF 5.2.18.0's Add
        TempleReady
        > Update under File.
        > F. Click on NEXT - SEARCH FOR ORDINANCE DATES.
        > G. If the computer finds a possible match for an individual, it
        will
        > show both your record and the ordinance record. You will decide
        whether
        > or not the individuals are the same.
        > H. When the computer can find no more possible matches, the Update
        > Records Summary screen will appear, showing how many records were
        > checked and how many were updated. You may print a copy of this
        record.
        > Click on Done. Click on Exit.
        > I. Enter the PAF 5 program. Review the updates that have been made
        > your file. Backup up the file to your disk. (If you use your
        original
        > backup disk it will override the previous backup.) Note that the
        program
        > only changes ordinance dates and temples. If other information is
        > provided you will need to print it or record the information (such
        as
        > parents, full dates, etc.)
        > J. Take your disk home and IMPORTANT: Restore the updated file over
        your
        > record at home.
        > Step 4. Prepare a report of missing individual ordinances using
        > Focus Filter, or simply print out the family group records of the
        > families you wish to check for ordinances.
        > ?The CD-ROMs/Server Databases used to Update Records in the
        TempleReady
        > for Windows program are not as up-to-date as IGI Internet. The IGI
        > Internet is now updated on a weekly basis, so we must review the
        > individuals who are still missing ordinance dates with the IGI
        Internet.
        > Step 5. Manually Search the IGI for Duplicates:
        > ?FamilySearch Internet http://familysearch.org/ has the most
        updated
        > records of the International Genealogical Index. Members of The
        Church
        > of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can view temple ordinance
        dates for
        > completed temple ordinances for deceased persons in the
        International
        > Genealogical Index. Members will be required to log in using their
        LDS
        > Member Record Number and their LDS Confirmation Date.
        > Please ask your ward clerk to print out a new "Individual Ordinance
        > Summary" report (MIS 3.5.2) for you to see in order to obtain your
        > Member Record Number and your Confirmation Date.
        > IF you have not logged onto Family Search Internet before, or do
        not
        > remember your username and password:
        > . Open your Internet browser. In the address field, type:
        > www.FamilySearch.org and press Enter.
        > . Click the Share tab near the top of the screen.
        > . Click I Need to Register on the left side of the screen.
        > . Follow the instructions to register.
        > . Write down your username and password.
        > Click on the Share Tab.
        > . Enter your username and password. You must also check the box I
        am a
        > member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
        > . You will now be taken to the Edit My Information page. On this
        screen,
        > please make sure all of the information listed is correct. You do
        not
        > have to type in your password, unless you want to change it. At the
        > bottom of the list of information you will see a place to enter
        your
        > Membership Record Number and your Confirmation Date. Please
        carefully
        > type in the membership number that you received from your ward or
        branch
        > clerk. Then enter in your Confirmation Date. Click on the Save
        button.
        > You can now select the Search tab and look for temple ordinance
        dates in
        > the International Genealogical Index (IGI).
        > A. Type in the name of each individual from your lists or family
        group
        > records. Be aware of variant spellings. If you find that the
        Ordinance
        > Index misspells your ancestor's name or lists incorrect dates or
        places,
        > do not resubmit your ancestor's name for temple work. The
        ordinances are
        > still valid.
        > B. When you find ordinances that have been completed for your
        family,
        > record the dates on your list so you can update your PAF database.
        > C. Type in the ordinance dates, that were found on FamilySearch
        > Internet, into your PAF program.
        > Step 6. Submit Family Names for Temple Ordinances:Create a GEDCOM
        file
        > for TempleReady for Windows: Use this process only if you cannot or
        do
        > not want to take the .paf file directly to a TempleReady computer.
        > A. Bring your Backup to the Family History Center. Go to one of the
        > computers that holds the TempleReady for Windows Program. Enter the
        PAF
        > 5 Program on the same computer. Restore your files by selecting
        restore
        > under File.
        > B. In PAF 5, Click Tools, TempleReady.
        > To the left are all the names from your database. TempleReady has
        also
        > reviewed any ordinance information in your file and placed a
        picture of
        > a temple under those ordinances that are needed for each person.
        Now you
> [...]
        > submitter information is sometimes included with genealogy
        databases.
        > Indicate whether or not you would like your contact information
        published.
        > 13. Continue. To save your submitter information and move to the
        next
        > screen, click Next.
        > 14. Look at the report. Read through the submission report to
        verify
        > that the information is accurate. Make sure the submission summary
        lists
        > the correct number of ordinances to be performed. Confirm that the
        > information is correct for the male, female, and ordinance of
        sealing to
        > spouse.
        > 15. Print a copy of the report. If you would like a copy of this
        report,
        > click Print at the bottom of the screen.
        > 16. Continue. After printing the report: To save your submission,
        click
        > Next.
        > 17. Place the disk in floppy A:\ This will be the disk that you
        take to
        > the temple. Labels are available at the family history center.
        > 18. Make a backup copy. This will serve as a backup copy in case
        the
        > submission disk becomes damaged.
        > 19. Click done! You are finished with TempleReady.
        >

        > Now you are ready to submit your diskette to the temple and perform
        the
        > ordinances!
        > . Write your name and address on the disk label and take it to the
        temple.
        > . Make sure you receive your family name cards. The temple will
        print
        > these cards from your disk.
        > . Take your family name cards to any temple to perform the
        ordinances.
        > . Schedule your visit. Initiatory, Endowments and Sealings may be
        > performed anytime the temple is open. For baptisms, you will need
        > call the temple to schedule times.
        > . Temple ordinances are completed in the following sequence:
        > . Baptism and Confirmation
        > . Ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood (for men)
        > . Initiatory
        > . Endowment
        > . Sealing
        >

        > NOTE:
        > 1. At this time there are no plans to allow correction of the data
        in
        > the IGI. The "Member's Guide to Temple and Family History Work"
        states
        > on page 14: "If you find an ancestor listed in the International
        > Genealogical Index with his or her name spelled differently or with
        > different event date or place given, the ordinances for that person
        are
        > valid. You do not need to submit the person's name for temple
        ordinances
        > again. To share the corrected information, submit your work to
        Ancestral
        > File." [Now Pedigree Resource File]
        > 2. Data errors. As you encounter problems with the records searched
        in
        > the International Genealogical Index (IGI), you should keep the
        points
        > listed below about the IGI in mind.
        > The IGI displays records which originated from many different
        sources,
        > including:
        > * Current patron submissions
        > * Records of Deceased Members
        > * Extraction records
        > * Temple records recorded manually before 1970, then extracted for
        > inclusion in a computerized database
        > The Family History Department has endeavored to store and display
        all
        > the records in the IGI as they received them. That is the only way
        they
        > can guarantee the integrity of the data. If a patron submits names
        for
        > temple work and includes incorrect event data, the ordinances are
        > recorded with the information as it was submitted.
        > 3. Ancestors Not Found. The first question to consider is: Am I
        > searching in the right region? The IGI records are divided into
        regions
        > of the world. The records are placed in the regions where life
        events
        > took place, not where temple work was completed. For example, if
        your
        > grandfather was born in Germany, married in England, then died in
        Utah,
        > his record could be found in any of those regions--in Germany, in
        the
        > British Isles, and in North America. If your grandfather was born,
        > married, and died in Germany, but his temple work was done in Utah,
        his
        > records would only be found by searching in Germany. If you do not
        look
        > in the right region, you may not find the record of your ancestor.
        If
        > you do not know the region, you may want to search in All
        Resources, and
        > not IGI. In All Resources you do not have to choose a region.
        > The second question to consider is: Am I using the right spelling
        of the
        > name? By checking the Use Exact Spelling box, you can now use
        middle
        > names. That is helpful. But you need to consider if you are using
        the
        > right first name. Some people used their middle name as their first
        > name. That is how they were known. You must consider if you are
        using
        > the correct first name when doing the search. If you are not using
        the
        > right spelling or the right name, you may not find the record of
        your
        > ancestor.
        > 4. No temple ordinance dates. In order to see temple ordinance
        dates,
        > you must sign on as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of
        Latter-day
        > Saints with your Membership Record Number and your Confirmation
        Date.
        > The person for whom you are looking must be deceased and have
        temple
        > work completed. At times, the person you are searching for may have
        > separate record for each ordinance. You may not have searched
        correctly
        > to find each ordinance date. If you do not find the temple work
        listed
        > in the IGI, do not re-submit the name for temple work if you know
        that
        > the work has previously been completed. You should make it a matter
        of
        > prayerful consideration. You may also want to contact the Family
        History
        > Help Desk or IGI Operations to ask for help in verifying that the
        temple
        > work has been completed if you know the work has been done but you
        > cannot find the temple work listed in the IGI.
        > 5. Ordinance Dates for Living Members. The IGI does not include
        > ordinance dates for living members of the Church. Names of living
        > members are listed as Unavailable in the IGI.
        > 6. Duplication of records. There are four major reasons why there
        are
        > multiple copies of the same records in the IGI.
        > . There were multiple copies of books of records which were
        extracted
        > into a computer database. For example, Temple books were often
        copied
        > one or twice for preservation. Each copy of the temple book was
        then
        > extracted into a database that eventually was included in the IGI,
        and
        > the duplicated records were not merged.
        > . Each ordinance for the same individual, with the same name,
        dates, and
        > places may have been recorded in a different book. For example,
        baptisms
        > were recorded in one temple book, endowments in another, sealings
        > parents in another, and sealings to spouse in yet another book. The
        same
        > name and birth date may appear in each book. When these records
        were
        > extracted from each book to place them in a computer database, the
        > records were not merged. They appear as duplicate records in the
        IGI.
        > . During the 1970 to 1990 time period, a major effort was made to
        enter
        > records from the past into a computer database. During this period,
        if
        > records were submitted when the temple work had been completed
        prior to
        > 1970, the records were just added to the 1970 to 1990 computer
        database.
        > Later, when the pre-1970 records were extracted to the computer
        > database, these records were duplicated. This duplication continued
        into
        > the IGI.
        > . Additional duplication of records may be frequently caused by
        patron
        > choice and patron error. When patrons submits names for temple work
        > through the TempleReady computer program, the program may indicate
        that
        > the temple work has already been done. Patrons have a choice to
        > re-submit the names for temple work even though the work may be
        > duplicated. This will create duplicate records. Patrons may also
        create
        > duplicate records unintentionally through various errors. They may
        > create more than one GEDCOM file that has the same names, they may
        put
        > the same name in their record manager database several times, or
        they
        > may have different spellings of names or different dates for the
        same
        > person. All of these choices and errors may result in duplicate
        records
        > for the same individual in the IGI.
        >
        > 7. Sorting of names. When doing different kinds of searches in the
        IGI,
        > the list of names may be sorted differently on the search results
        > screen. For example, when doing an IGI search with only the name
        and
        > region, the records are filtered to avoid duplicates--each record
        is
        > only listed once. The records are sorted first chronologically by
        the
        > date of the event, and then alphabetically by name.
        >
        > If you do an IGI search and select Use Exact Spelling, and perhaps
        enter
        > an event year or place, the list of records are sorted first
        there
        > may also be included duplicate records. For example, if there is a
        birth
        > and death associated with a record, the record may be listed once
        for
        > the birth and again for the death, in chronological order.
        >
        > 8. World Misc. In the IGI, World Misc. (short for World
        Miscellaneous)
        > is listed as a region. World Misc. is sometimes put into event
        records,
        > such as the birth or death place. This is done when the event place
        is
        > blank or cannot be determined, such as if it were misspelled. It
        only
        > means that the computer does not know where the event took place.
        World
        > Misc. was not included in the original submission of data. You
        would
        > normally not want to select World Misc as a region when doing a
        search
        > of the IGI.
        >
        > 9. Clearing names for temple work. You can continue to clear names
        for
        > temple work at your Family History Center with the computer program
        > TempleReady for Windows. You cannot clear names for temple work on
        the
        > FamilySearch Internet (FSI) Web site. It is suggested that you
        search
        > for your deceased ancestors in the IGI on the FamilySearch Internet
        Web
        > site before you submit their names for temple work in order to see
        if
        > the temple ordinance dates are listed. If the ordinance work is not
        > listed in the IGI, then you can prepare the names on a computer
        disk to
        > be run through the TempleReady program at your Family History
        Center.
        > Searching the names first in the IGI will help avoid the additional
        > duplication of names and temple ordinances in the IGI.
      • Rick Klemetson
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2002
          As far as I understand, the data on the web site will be current within two weeks.

          I expect over time that it will become daily (personal opinion).

          Then they will need to develop a Temple Ready over the internet that will dynamically add the entries for "cleared" ordinances as we process the names.

          We are moving in that direction. The updated IGI on the internet is an important step in the process.

          Hopefully they will announce it soon.

          Rick Klemetson
> [...]

          > temple work at your Family History Center with the computer program
          > TempleReady for Windows. You cannot clear names for temple work on
          the
          > FamilySearch Internet (FSI) Web site. It is suggested that you
          search
          > for your deceased ancestors in the IGI on the FamilySearch Internet
          Web
          > site before you submit their names for temple work in order to see
          if
          > the temple ordinance dates are listed. If the ordinance work is not
          > listed in the IGI, then you can prepare the names on a computer
          disk to
          > be run through the TempleReady program at your Family History
          Center.
          > Searching the names first in the IGI will help avoid the additional
          > duplication of names and temple ordinances in the IGI.

        • Steve Fox
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2002
            You don't see it because it is not yet available.  In fact, the IGI is down for maintenance.

            Steve

            mark_rob25@... 10/02/02 06:50AM >>>
> [...]

            > The TempleReady title screen will appear.
            > D.
            Select the button UPDATE MY RECORDS.
            > After a few moments the Select a
            File screen will appear. Find your
            PAF
            > family data file. You may
            have to click on Browse.
            > When your file is visible Highlight it and
            click on OPEN.
            > E. The Select Families and Individuals screen will
            appear. Make
            sure a
            > check mark appears in the box titled "Show only
            records with some
            > ordinances not recorded". Mark the Select box by each
            family. (Or
            if you
            > wish to select your whole file, go to Edit and
            click on Select All
            but
            > only if you can handle as many names as you
            files and use PAF 5.2.18.0's Add
            TempleReady

            href="http://familysearch.org/">http://familysearch.org/ has the most
> [...]
            PAF
            > 5 Program on the same computer. Restore your files by selecting
            restore
            > under File.
            > B. In PAF 5, Click Tools,
            TempleReady.
            > To the left are all the names from your database.
            TempleReady has
            also
            > reviewed any ordinance information in your
            file and placed a
            picture of
            > a temple under those ordinances that
            are needed for each person.
            Now you
            > must select only those names
            you would like to send to the temple.
            > Steps
            > 1. Click a tab. If
            you want to quickly select all the names for a
            > family, click the Family
            tab. If you want to select names one at a
            Individuals tab.
> [...]
            the International
            > Genealogical Index with his or her name spelled
            differently or with
            > different event date or place given, the
            ordinances for that person
            are
            > valid. You do not need to submit the
            person's name for temple
            ordinances
            > again. To share the corrected
            information, submit your work to
            Ancestral
            > File." [Now Pedigree
            Resource File]
            > 2. Data errors. As you encounter problems with the
            records searched
            in
            > the International Genealogical Index (IGI), you
            should keep the
            points
            > listed below about the IGI in mind.

            The IGI displays records which originated from many different
            Deceased Members
> [...]
            on
            the
            > FamilySearch Internet (FSI) Web site. It is suggested that
            you
            search
            > for your deceased ancestors in the IGI on the
            FamilySearch Internet
            Web
            > site before you submit their names for
            temple work in order to see
            if
            > the temple ordinance dates are
            listed. If the ordinance work is not
            > listed in the IGI, then you can
            prepare the names on a computer
            disk to
            > be run through the
            TempleReady program at your Family History
            Center.
            > Searching the
            names first in the IGI will help avoid the additional

            Sell a Home for Top $
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/FvNolB/TM

            This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.

          • Russell Gomm
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 14, 2002

              As has been said, this is really great. I believe someone asked if the WP version of this could be posted to the Files section of the Yahoo Groups site, but it doesn’t look like it’s there. I’d like to make that request again, or if you could at least send me a copy, I’d be very grateful.

              Russell Gomm, Director

              Belmont Family History Center

              Belmont, MA

              The TempleReady Process by - Shanna Jones
              Submissions with Personal Ancestral File, IGI Internet and TempleReady
              for Windows
              While there are several ways to prepare names to clear for ordinance
              work in TempleReady, we suggest the following approach. This process
              will save you time by avoiding duplicate temple work and unnecessary steps.
              Step 1. Gather and verify information: Enter family information into PAF
              5 correctly. Check: Home records - Living relatives - Ancestral File -
              International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Social Security Death Index -
[...]
              I. Enter the PAF 5 program. Review the updates that have been made to
              your file. Backup up the file to your disk. (If you use your original
              backup disk it will override the previous backup.) Note that the program
              only changes ordinance dates and temples. If other information is
              provided you will need to print it or record the information (such as
              parents, full dates, etc.)
              J. Take your disk home and IMPORTANT: Restore the updated file over your
              record at home.
              Step 4. Prepare a report of missing individual ordinances using Advanced
[...]
              3. Select names. Click the blank boxes next to the names you want to
              send to the temple. To automatically select all the names in a family,
              click in the box next to the father's or head of household's name.
              4. Click Next. After you have selected all the names you want to send to
              the temple, click the Next button at the bottom of the screen. You will
              move on to the next step.
              To see only those records that have enough information. You may not have
              enough information in your file for some of the names. If you want to
              see only those names that have enough information to send to the temple,
              click the box entitled Show only records ready to submit for ordinances.
              If you don't want an ordinance performed. For example: TempleReady
              suggests that all four ordinances be performed for a person, but you
              only want to have the baptism performed. Select the name anyway. At a
[...]

              performed anytime the temple is open. For baptisms, you will need to
              call the temple to schedule times.
              . Temple ordinances are completed in the following sequence:
              . Baptism and Confirmation
              . Ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood (for men)
              . Initiatory
              . Endowment
              . Sealing

              NOTE:
              1. At this time there are no plans to allow correction of the data in
              the IGI. The "Member's Guide to Temple and Family History Work" states
              on page 14: "If you find an ancestor listed in the International
              Genealogical Index with his or her name spelled differently or with a
[...]
              work completed. At times, the person you are searching for may have a
[...]
              were recorded in one temple book, endowments in another, sealings to

              __________________________________________________ D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!" http://www.doteasy.com
            • Yahoo
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 15, 2002
                Where can be get the PAF Pal to convert abreviations?
                Judd

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 15, 2002
                  Paf Pal is available from:
                  Pal Software
                  1065 West 10210 South
                  South Jordan, UT 84095-4529

                  Phone 801-254-0160
                  E-mail: pafpal@...

                  I think it is around $18 and you can get license to use it on all your family history center computers if you request it.   Things this PAF add-on program can do: play the genealogy songs like the really old PAFs used to; changes abbreviations of US States, British and Canadian abbreviations; allows Internet searches from your PAF toolbar to Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com and Rootsweb.com, like PAF does to FamilySearch.org; shows pictures of parents and spouse on family view instead of just the individual; creates other reports like descendant count; clears and changes fields; adds USA to places with States or removes USA from places; has global search and replace of names and Temple codes.

                  I don't work for them, I just like the program a lot!
                  Shanna Jones

                  Yahoo wrote:
                  Where can be get the PAF Pal to convert abreviations?
                  Judd

                • Russell Houlton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2002
                    How does this work?  Do you use PAF Pal instead of PAF or does it somehow change the way PAF works?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2002
                      It somehow changes the way PAF works, it is found under
                      "tools" on the menu bar so it is similar to Paf Companion
                      which adds to what you can do.
                      Shanna