SBC PacBell DSL

  • Clyde Russell
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
      Dear Listers,
          At the Santa Rosa CA FHC we've gotten this far: We plugged the SBC PacBell DSL modem into our first Linksys switch (we have two switches daisy chained for our 5 computer W95/98 p2p network) and installed the software that came with it, on each computer. Now we can log in and access the internet with each computer, separately, but when we do so, the others are locked out of the internet.
          The instructions that came with the "self-install kit" do not cover LANs.
          The sales woman at PacBell said that we could connect the network, and if we had problems we could call the pacbell tech number.  But the pacbell tech person says that the tech people "don't do networks"! Aiiiee! Catch 22!
          Do any of you have an ideas for us for getting all 5 computers to access the internet at the same time?
          Thanks!
      Clyde Russell

      ---
    • Mike St. Clair
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
        You are going to have to have a router between the first switch and the DSL modem that will do NAT (Network
        Address Translation) in order to share the line with multiple PCs.  Sometimes this function is built into the
        DSL Modem device.  What is the make and model of the DSL "modem"?

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
          Actually, most routers (The linksys is a good example) are switches and routers built in together. Its a router with a 4 port hub.  Are you sure your Linksys swich won't act as a gateway already, and it simply needs to be set up? If so, someone here could telnet or use the web access remotely to help you set it up if you like. Its no big deal. Contact me if I can help.
          BTW, what are your gateway settings (IP address) on the 5 workstations??

          Gordon Hamm
          Voice Data Systems Inc.
          435-635-7464

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
            Based on my limited experience, if you've got a broadband connection, you are supposed to have a SonicWall SOHO2 or SOHO3 provided by the church.  That SonicWall goes between the DSL modem and your switch and will do routing, filtering, and DHCP services.

            I suspect from what you are describing is that you don't have a router or are not using it.  Since the church will provide the SonicWall, I'd would strongly advise going that route and not buying a router/switch.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2002
              I would contact the Internet People at Family History Support, they spent many hours with me to get my internet up and running.  And what was said earlier about the SOHOWare equipment from MStar is correct.  You are required to install this equipment to run the internet in your FHC.  It is installed between the bridge/router and your hubs.
              Len

              Clyde Russell wrote:

              Dear Listers,    At the Santa Rosa CA FHC we've gotten this far: We plugged the SBC PacBell DSL modem into our first Linksys switch (we have two switches daisy chained for our 5 computer W95/98 p2p network) and installed the software that came with it, on each computer. Now we can log in and access the internet with each computer, separately, but when we do so, the others are locked out of the internet.    The instructions that came with the "self-install kit" do not cover LANs.    The sales woman at PacBell said that we could connect the network, and if we had problems we could call the pacbell tech number.  But the pacbell tech person says that the tech people "don't do networks"! Aiiiee! Catch 22!    Do any of you have an ideas for us for getting all 5 computers to access the internet at the same time?    Thanks!Clyde Russellccrussell@...
              ---

            • Russell Houlton
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2002
                The SonicWall eliminates the need for any bridge/router.  Simply install it between the DSL modem and the hubs.