RE: [fhctech] Wireless Internet access?

  • Russell Houlton
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2002
      Yes, the form indicates what's requested. I don't know the criteria. Yes,
      you will have to re-submit the form, but it should go faster the second time
      around (so they say.)

      The number of computers you have and the number you report may be two
      different things. <wink> We have a bunch of old donated computers, but we
      don't report them since they don't meet the strict rules. (A visiting FH
      official once said in a meeting that the church has strict rules on donated
      computers that nobody follows. He then went on to say go ahead and accept
      the computers anyway for PAF, UDE use.) If we did tell SL how many we have
      they might not send us a new one. <grin> I think when I turned in my form
      I reported 3 computers - One from SL FHC and two from the stake. All the
      others are "off the books" machines.

      One of the things you might want to check on is the price of the wireless
      compared to the price of a phone line. In my area the price of a phone line
      at business rates (the church doesn't qualify for private rates) is about a
      $1/month different from DSL. When I learned they planned on installing a
      new line for internet access instead of using an existing line, I put a stop
      to it and changed the app to DSL. To do anything else in that situation was
      silly.

      I'd suggest that you simply fill out the form the best you can and list that
      ISP as a vendor and see what happens. As long as the vendor "looks" like a
      DSL or cable modem as far as network setup goes, I don't think it should
      matter. Don't worry about the filtering requirements, SL will send you a
      firewall to take care of that.

      One thing I would be careful about: "Wireless" can mean one of two things.
      In this case it's a fixed point to point microwave connection. But it can
      also mean a small local free-roaming home networking type of thing. The
      latter is a real attraction to hackers. So I'd be careful about how you use
      the word "wireless" least you get a unfavorable response from someone who's
      thinking about the other kind.

      I'll shut up now.
    • Pamela Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 12:11 PM
        We are setting up our internet connection in the Lafayette, LA FHC and we want to use a cable modem rather than the dial-up connection as well, it will save us money. Do you need to use M-Star as your internet provider?

[...]

        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FvNolB/TM

      • Russell Houlton
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1 4:34 PM
          In my area M-Star does have dial-up access but doesn't have broadband, so we got to pick our own provider.  I probably could have gotten cable had I wanted, but in my area cable (Oceanic Time-Warnner) costs $80/mo for business while only costing $45/mo for home use.

          I would strongly suggest you verify the rates before placing your paperwork.  It's too easy to forget that as a church we may not qualify for the same rates we pay at home.  I'm fortunate enough that DSL was available to us at $49/mo - almost the same price as a second phone line.  Since the wiring is already in place, the phone company just shipped me a self-install kit and I was good to go.

          From what I've seen the church is justifiably concerned about filtering, but if you don't have M-Star they will send you what you need to set up a firewall yourself.  So all the stuff you read about the ISP must provide the filtering doesn't match what I experienced.

          I would guess that if M-Star broadband was available to us, then we'd have to use it.