Charging for Internet Access?

  • Clyde Russell
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      Dear Tech Listers,
          We are starting to work toward internet access at our FHC. We are considering DSL but it is expensive, so we're wondering how to charge the patrons.
          I understand that the "Director's Nest" is closed down.  Therefore, I'm hoping that some of you tech folks know how the charges to the patrons, for internet access in your FHC, are being handled in your FHC.
          By the hour? What if a patron is "in and out of the web" while using local resources also?
          We have a W98 p2p network.  Is there a way to turn Internet Access "on/off" at each machine?
          Or is it simply "always on", at each network station, waiting for a patron to start up the browser?
          Do you charge by how long the browser is active at a given computer?
          Does anyone just charge a flat fee (an "internet-availability" fee??) to all computer users - and not try to keep track of actual internet time for each patron?
      Thanks for any experience here.
      Clyde B. Russell
      Santa Rosa CA FHC

      ---
    • klbeardall
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
        In our FHC we have Verizon DSL. It is on all of the time and,
        fortunately when we have power outages, it restarts and reconfigures
        itself without operator assistance. It has become highly used because
        of its speed and ease of use.

        In our area we have patrons using the FHC who have no means to pay to
        use the internet for family history use. They are foreign born,
        immigrant, unemployed, underemployed, students, etc. We don't want to
        have to ask these patrons about their ability to pay and embarass
        them. We don't ask them to pay for anything associated with Temple
        Ready, e.g., printouts or disks, etc., either.

        We also have patrons who believe that if they are paying for the use
        of the internet, they can use it any way they want to, and they don't
        need to abide by the rules that were provided to us by the FH
        Department. (We posted the rules on each computer.) We
        don't want to have to confront them over this issue. Therefore, our
        Priesthood leaders decided (wisely I believe) that the stake would pay
        for the internet connection from stake budget funds, and it would be
        free to anyone who uses it for genealogical use as specified in the
        rules, and would be unavailable to anyone for other uses (stock
        market, sports, travel, etc.) The stake pays, the stake makes the
        rules. It works for us and we are very appreciative of the support of
        the leaders in this regard. --klb--
        __________________________________

        --- In fhctech@y..., "Clyde Russell" <ccrussell@e...> wrote:
        > Dear Tech Listers,
        > We are starting to work toward internet access at our FHC. We
        are considering DSL but it is expensive, so we're wondering how to
        charge the patrons.
        > I understand that the "Director's Nest" is closed down.
        Therefore, I'm hoping that some of you tech folks know how the charges
        to the patrons, for internet access in your FHC, are being handled in
        your FHC.
        > By the hour? What if a patron is "in and out of the web" while
        using local resources also?
        > We have a W98 p2p network. Is there a way to turn Internet
        Access "on/off" at each machine?
        > Or is it simply "always on", at each network station, waiting
        for a patron to start up the browser?
        > Do you charge by how long the browser is active at a given
        computer?
        > Does anyone just charge a flat fee (an "internet-availability"
        fee??) to all computer users - and not try to keep track of actual
        internet time for each patron?
        > Thanks for any experience here.
        > Clyde B. Russell
        > ccrussell@e...
        > Santa Rosa CA FHC
        >

        > ---
      • Jones, Randy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          At my center, we use Qwest DSL. In discussing fee's with the Stake
          Presidency, it was decided that we were not going to charge our patrons for
          access to the internet. This way we can set the rules, and we have the Stake
          Presidency backing us.

          Randy Jones
          IMS
          x7711

          Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            The directors list is available again. Here is the information.

            Gary Templeman

            >->

            > > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            We are starting to work toward internet access at our FHC. We are
            considering DSL but it is expensive, so we're wondering how to charge
            the patrons.
            I understand that the "Director's Nest" is closed down. Therefore,
            I'm hoping that some of you tech folks know how the charges to the
            patrons, for internet access in your FHC, are being handled in your FHC.
            By the hour? What if a patron is "in and out of the web" while using
            local resources also?
            We have a W98 p2p network. Is there a way to turn Internet Access
            "on/off" at each machine?
            Or is it simply "always on", at each network station, waiting for a
            patron to start up the browser?
            Do you charge by how long the browser is active at a given computer?
            Does anyone just charge a flat fee (an "internet-availability"
            fee??) to all computer users - and not try to keep track of actual
            internet time for each patron?
            Thanks for any experience here.
            Clyde B. Russell
            ccrussell@...
            Santa Rosa CA FHC

            ---

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Click here to find your contact lenses!

            Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Binkfraze@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              Clyde:

              We, at the El Paso Texas FHC (on the Eastside of El Paso, Texas), do not
              charge our patrons for the Internet access nor the access to Ancestry.com.

              At time of submitting our budget proposal last Nov, we included the internet
              charges (as best we knew what they would be at that time). So, in effect our
              Stake pays for the service.

              And, we use the guidelines that were sent to us from Salt Lake as to how the
              internet is to be used in the FHC.

              Hope this helps. Take care,

              Sallie and Mel Frazee, Directors
              El Paso Texas FHC (on the Eastside of El Paso, Texas)
              binkfraze@...
            • Hank LuBean

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                  As a stake clerk, I believe your information below is incorrect. Phone
                  lines for family history centers are not to be reimbursed by Salt Lake
                  unlike phone lines for ward/stake offices and buildings. The stake is to
                  pay for the phone line out of its own budget funds. However, access to the
                  internet can be recouped as an expense just like printing and copying.
                  It's up the local unit to decide if and how they choose to recoup the cost
                  of the internet access, but in no case is Salt Lake to reimburse the
                  telephone/DSL cost paid by the stake. Check the budget allowance
                  guidelines as well as the family history center operating guide and call
                  Salt Lake for the latest guidance on reimbursement for internet access
                  charges. I can't give you an exact figure, but I believe our center is
                  charging $.50 to a $1.00 for an hour of internet access.

                  Mike Fry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
                    The church does not reimburse for the monthly cost of internet access, that
                    is the stake or centers responsibility.

                    Randy Jones
                    IMS
                    x7711

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
                      Randy,

                      My statement is only partly incorrect. My FHC shares a phone with a ward. The stake pays for the phone and gets reimbursed from the general fund as usual and in accordance with budget guidelines. In this case the FHC phone is reimbursed. The internet fee should not be a reimbursed expense but should be made part of the stake budget allocation for the FHC. If the stake chooses not to pay for the internet portion of the telephone expense (as part of the stake budget allocated to the FHC), then the FHC is on their own to pay for the internet expense.

                      The trick is to convince the stake president, via the FHC high counselor of course, that the internet expense is a valid missionary and/or redeeming the dead cost and should be made part of the stake budget. Hank

                      >>> randy.jones@... 08/02/02 06:48AM >>>

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                        At our Center, we just ncreased the fee for printing pages on our computers.
                        We charged a nickel a sheet before the internet, now we charge a dime. That
                        should resolve problems with patrons thinking they can do what thet want on the
                        internet. It becomes an unattached fee.
                        Len