FHC Internet Use Policy

  • sjniedermeyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2002
      We are in the process of creating an internet use policy for our
      FHC. Does anyone know if the F&CHD has one we can use or a model we
      can base ours off of? Also, do any of your FHC's already have one
      that might give us additional insights while creating ours? I have
      emaild SLC but would like to get the groups input too. It would be
      great to have a uniform use policy for every FHC.

      We've just started but the basics of our policy are:

      No email unless web-based
      For genealogical use only
      Installing programs or plug-ins from the internet is prohibited
      Explicit content is prohibited
    • sjniedermeyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2002
        I should be more specific...this policy would be written
        specifically for patrons to view. The F&CHD has an internet policy
        for FHC's but it contains things only related to FHC's or omits
        certain things that are important for patrons. We want to come up
        with a simple, 1 page policy that can be posted on a bulletin board
        for patrons. Much like our copyright policy is.

        --- In fhctech@y..., "sjniedermeyer" <temp1@n...> wrote:
        > We are in the process of creating an internet use policy for our
        > FHC. Does anyone know if the F&CHD has one we can use or a model
        we
        > can base ours off of? Also, do any of your FHC's already have one
        > that might give us additional insights while creating ours? I
        have
        > emaild SLC but would like to get the groups input too. It would
        be
        > great to have a uniform use policy for every FHC.
        >
        > We've just started but the basics of our policy are:
        >
        > No email unless web-based
        > For genealogical use only
        > Installing programs or plug-ins from the internet is prohibited
        > Explicit content is prohibited
      • Mike St. Clair
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2002
          Just a comment relating to one of your proposed policies. I can understand
          why you might not want random plugins to be installed, but I had an
          experience
          this week that shows why I needed to install one (maybe need is too strong,
          lets
          say wanted).

          My wife and I were at a FHC for an evening to help ward members, if any
          came. We had mixed emotions when no one showed. We'd like to be helping
          them, but then it did give us a couple of hours to work on our stuff, and
          the
          Internet service was faster than we have at home. We used our ancestry
          subscription to look up some census images and found that they had never
          installed the MrSid plugin that allows much better pan and zoom than the
          default. I'll go so far as to say that the default html stuff is almost
          useless on
          a small screen. We asked if it was okay to download and install and they
          said
          sure. If they had said no, we wouldn't have been able to productively use
          the census images. But as it was, we got some very productive research done
          that evening.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2002
            Plug-in's wouldn't be prohibited. Patrons are just prohibited from
            downloading them. It would be up to FHC tech staff to install any
            necessary plug-ins for legitimate use (e.g. Mr. SID viewer).

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
              The critical point is permission. There may be a legitimate reason why
              a certain program or plug-in is not installed on a particular computer
              such as lack of RAM, a known conflict with a particular video card, or
              whatever. Patrons should never(?) be installing software, and usually
              most of the staff should not have that capability. The director, and/or
              a select few tech staff or the assistant stake clerk for computers need
              to approve and monitor all computer modifications. I can see occasions
              where a director, etc. may give permission for a knowledgeable patron to
              go ahead and handle something relatively simple such as the MrSid
              plug-in installation, but those would be exceptions to the rule.

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
                I have prevented unauthorized installation of programs on our Win2K
                machines by making the default login name a user with restricted
                privileges. The Administrator password is safely locked away.
                Similarly, with the System Policy Editor (and some effort) restrictions
                can be placed on Win 95 machines which will thwart all but the most
                determined and knowledgeable patron or staff. I assume the equivalent
                can be done with 98, ME and XP.